Plumber

Old Sep 16th 2011, 7:34 pm
Just Joined

bennetts1000 is a jewel in the roughbennetts1000 is a jewel in the roughbennetts1000 is a jewel in the roughbennetts1000 is a jewel in the roughbennetts1000 is a jewel in the rough
Default Plumber

Hi
We are at the very very early stages of applying for emigration to NZ. Our first choice was Australia but my husband got his IELTS test results today and it revealed an overall band of 7. Under the Australia rules they score you off each individual component (i.e. a straight flush of 7's) as opposed to the NZ way of scoring where they go off the 'overall band score'. Ive just seen this on the NZ website? So I hope I am right in presuming that.
My husband is aged 32 and is a plumber with 13 years time served experience, and has all his City Guilds NVQs qualifications.
Old Sep 16th 2011, 10:56 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Plumber

Hello and welcome

Firstly make sure you want to come to NZ rather than just emigrate somewhere. It is not Australia! There are plenty of threads on here about the downsides of NZ so have a good read through and ask lots of questions. Not trying to put you off but it's better to know the pros and cons of moving here.
Was your husband born in a non English speaking country? You do not need to sit IELTS if you were born in the UK, there is a section on the EOI where you explain why/how you can speak English. I've had a look and it does say 'an overall band score of over 6.5' so he should be ok to apply with that if he needs to.
P
Old Sep 17th 2011, 11:42 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by bennetts1000
Hi
We are at the very very early stages of applying for emigration to NZ. Our first choice was Australia but my husband got his IELTS test results today and it revealed an overall band of 7. Under the Australia rules they score you off each individual component (i.e. a straight flush of 7's) as opposed to the NZ way of scoring where they go off the 'overall band score'. Ive just seen this on the NZ website? So I hope I am right in presuming that.
My husband is aged 32 and is a plumber with 13 years time served experience, and has all his City Guilds NVQs qualifications.
1st question. Why did he need to do IELTS if he has C&G NVQ to level 3 ?
Old Sep 18th 2011, 12:19 am
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Ah yes, I forgot the qualification bit, even if he isn't from a non English speaking country that should cover it. Does everyone need to do IELTS to get into Australia? Could this be why?
Old Sep 23rd 2011, 2:18 am
`

I'm not sure. I believe this chap to be English though in which case IELTS doesn't come into it for NZ.
Old Sep 24th 2011, 8:10 pm
Just Joined

bennetts1000 is a jewel in the roughbennetts1000 is a jewel in the roughbennetts1000 is a jewel in the roughbennetts1000 is a jewel in the roughbennetts1000 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by BEVS
I'm not sure. I believe this chap to be English though in which case IELTS doesn't come into it for NZ.
Yes he is English and we originally did the IELTS with the intention of going to Australia but he just misses out on the points so NZ was the second option.
Old Sep 24th 2011, 8:11 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by bennetts1000
Yes he is English and we originally did the IELTS with the intention of going to Australia but he just misses out on the points so NZ was the second option.
EOI submitted today! The wait begins...
Old Sep 25th 2011, 4:00 am
`

Please don't get your hopes up. Not with the base level of only 100 points and no job offer. Your husband needs a job offer to boost the points . Problem being that for trade jobs it's mostly boots on NZ ground and start as soon as possible.