British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   Please help - totally stumped. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/please-help-totally-stumped-791285/)

Claire333 Mar 20th 2013 11:24 pm

Please help - totally stumped.

Sorry for sounding stupid but I have actually given this quite a lot of thought, yet I can't work out whether we (husband, me and two kids) have any chance of relocating to New Zealand, and if so, how.

Please help. This is our profile: (it's all a bit weird so I can't work out if we fit into any category of hope/eligibility for anything):

Husband has been a Warehouse Manager for 6 years, and in the business 14 years. BUT he has no qualifications, just high school. His experience also makes him able be a 'stock controller' or 'logistics coordinator'. He has British nationality.

I have a Bachelors Degree and a Masters Degree from Cambridge University in English Literature, BUT no real work experience. However my qualifications could enable me to seek work in the arts/creative industries (possibly). I have British and US nationality.

Husband has been applying for jobs in New Zealand (we'd prefer him to be the main earner if possible as I'm home with a one year old) but the response is poor as he has no Visa.

Do we have any chance? And if so, how do we go about it?

Please help. I'm totally stumped. We're desperate to relocate permanently if possible.

MrsFychan Mar 21st 2013 12:17 am

Re: Please help - totally stumped.

I see you have posted this in a few forums.

For NZ you need to see if you can get a visa to come out. so first place to go would be Immigration website

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...k/workperm.htm

at this stage just filling in an EOI (Expression Of Interest) would cost you nothing but it might only work out number wise if you are the main application having qualifications behind you. But do the EOI with yourself then do it again with your husband as the main application and see what points you get

Catchafire Mar 21st 2013 2:32 am

You seem a bit confused in where you want to emigrate to - Canada, Australia, NZ or Cyprus. As you have posted the same question on each branch.

Persephone Mar 21st 2013 3:19 pm

My feeling is that you would need a job offer first.

The EOI that MrsF mentioned is for an application for residency under the Skilled Migrant Category.
You would probably have more points on the EOI than your husband since you have a degree. However with no work experience you are unlikely to get enough to submit an EOI or for it to be selected if you can submit. Give it a try and see how many points you get but bear in mind that getting enough points [>100] does not guarantee your EOI being selected. It is more likely to sit in the pool for 6months and then be withdrawn [unless you have a job offer]
The other work visas available require a job offer first. You cannot apply for these visas until this is confirmed. These are WTR [work to residence] and the Work visa category. Conditions do apply to each so the offer must 'fit' into one of the categories.

It seems that employers in NZ do not understand the job first, visa second issue. All you can do is explain this to them. The only visa you could get without a job offer is residency as a skilled migrant but I don't feel you will accrue enough points for this.

Why NZ? It has been mentioned that you are looking at various other countries

M_and_M Mar 21st 2013 6:13 pm

A few years back I was looking at Aus. I am glad I did because I learned a few things back then regards visas. What I did was go away and get relevant work experience to go with my qualifications I was completing at the time. When I came to apply for NZ i sailed through with 205 points.

Take a look at the visa skills lists and decide how you might fit. It may mean you going away and kinda doing what I did. I think you may struggle without direct work experience and / or a job offer.