Please calm my nerves

Old Feb 4th 2011, 3:45 pm
Just Joined

perdieacres is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Please calm my nerves

Hi everyone - I am new to the site and although read your threads regularly, I have not yet posted one - until now when I feel I really need some advice/help.
My husband was very fortunate to secure a good job and we applied for PR. We were due to fly out on 27th Dec but I had to reduce my BMI before visas would be considered. Therefore my husband flew out beginning of Jan on works visa so he could start his new job and I have remained here until the PR visas have been granted. I heard today that I have passed the medical requirements and the immigration have now asked for confirmation of my son attending college (he is 18). This is where the panic has set in and I have not stopped shaking all afternoon. My son is in his 3rd and final year - however, as we honestly thought we were leaving the UK at end of Dec, he stopped going to college end of Dec. As he has quit college how will this affect our application ?? He does intend to continue his studies once in NZ but I am concerned that we will now be declined.
Sorry to rant on but as hubbie is in NZ and it is the middle of the night there, I really need someone to talk to.
Thanks for any responses ....
Old Feb 4th 2011, 6:04 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Please calm my nerves

The NZ education year runs Jan-Dec so he will presumably need to complete a full year here - but I would be concerned about his course(s) carrying on seamlessly in NZ given he is so close to completion - have you enrolled him in NZ yet? Had any discussion about entering courses part-way through? Will he just appear to have dropped out of his UK college or have they passed his file to a NZ college?

At the end of the day I think they are assessing his dependence on you for his visa purposes, not yours so I think you will need to get him enrolled in NZ asap.
Old Feb 4th 2011, 6:18 pm
Just Joined

thank you for your response - I appreciate it... We have not yet enrolled him at a college in NZ as we are not 100% where we will settle and want him to have minimum travel. This is on the top of the to-do list once we arrive.
Old Feb 5th 2011, 10:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Luckybird is a glorious beacon of lightLuckybird is a glorious beacon of lightLuckybird is a glorious beacon of lightLuckybird is a glorious beacon of lightLuckybird is a glorious beacon of lightLuckybird is a glorious beacon of lightLuckybird is a glorious beacon of lightLuckybird is a glorious beacon of lightLuckybird is a glorious beacon of lightLuckybird is a glorious beacon of lightLuckybird is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Perdi,

We had the same thing happen and as Simonsi says you just have to prove your son is dependent on you because he has been studying and that you will support him when you emigrate.
We had to prove that both our older children aged 20 and 18 were financially dependant on us as they are over 17 and in full-time education. We made sure we had original copies from 6th form and University on headed paper to say that they are studying full-time (these had to be signed and dated) and then added in a statement explaining that they did not earn due to study. Both were accepted just to reassure you
Hope that helps,
Luckybird
Old Feb 5th 2011, 11:09 am
Just Joined

Thank you so much for that - it has made me feel a bit better Our immigration officer is making his decision on Monday, so fingers are crossed
Old Feb 5th 2011, 11:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Luckybird is a glorious beacon of lightLuckybird is a glorious beacon of lightLuckybird is a glorious beacon of lightLuckybird is a glorious beacon of lightLuckybird is a glorious beacon of lightLuckybird is a glorious beacon of lightLuckybird is a glorious beacon of lightLuckybird is a glorious beacon of lightLuckybird is a glorious beacon of lightLuckybird is a glorious beacon of lightLuckybird is a glorious beacon of light

Everything crossed ..ouch painful! xx
Old Feb 5th 2011, 11:37 am
Just Joined

Luckybird - just one more question, if you don't mind.
Had you arranged positions in university/college in NZ before leaving the UK or did you look into this once you had arrived?
Old Feb 6th 2011, 5:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Hi Perdi - not a problem - we didn't organise before we came, although I lecture at a College here and we arrived before the courses start in February my second son decided to take a gap year and do some working/traveling before continuing his studies. We did look at opportunities for him - the colleges etc are really helpful - he will need to get his Uk quals transfered into 'credits' - but the international departments at the college/uni will help with that and advise you of options etc. Our oldest son is studying in the States so didn't have to change that or look at other options - we just had to prove his financial dependence for the residency. So I believe that as long as you can support him you do not have to say he has been offered a place to study - it just so NZ doesn't have to give him any financial aid

Hope that helps,
Luckybird
Old Feb 6th 2011, 7:29 am
Just Joined

thank you Luckybird - that has really helped me
Really appreciate your help
Old Feb 7th 2011, 10:17 am
BE Enthusiast

You welcome - good luck today
Old Feb 8th 2011, 4:24 pm
Just Joined

Permanant Visas have been approved
I am SO happy ..... it has been a long 6 months but we have finally got there. Big thumbs up to our immigration officer who was so good with keeping us informed and offering advice and support.
Now to get the house packed for shipping and flights booked - can not wait to be reunited with hubby
Old Feb 8th 2011, 7:15 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by perdieacres
Permanant Visas have been approved
I am SO happy ..... it has been a long 6 months but we have finally got there. Big thumbs up to our immigration officer who was so good with keeping us informed and offering advice and support.
Now to get the house packed for shipping and flights booked - can not wait to be reunited with hubby
Fantastic newsYou won't be able to stop looking at that blue sticker.
Old Feb 10th 2011, 12:10 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

So, how are the nerves?
Old Feb 10th 2011, 6:05 am
Just Joined

No nerves now - Just relieve the worse part is over and excitement on the start of our new lives. Only part I am not looking forward to is the anticipated tearful farewell to my daughter who has chosen to stay in UK - I give her 6 months before she comes out and joins us