British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   Please advise on gradute job search visa (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/please-advise-gradute-job-search-visa-812093/)

shivaj Oct 14th 2013 7:49 am

Please advise on gradute job search visa

HI All,

My visa expires on March 31, 2014. My exams are about to complete next month (Nov.24).

I am going for my marriage in dec and planning to come back in Feb. 2014.
  • Can i go Dec 2013 and come back Feb. 2014? as my visa says, i can travel mulitple times.
  • After coming in Feb. can i apply gradute job search visa?

I am searching internet, till now it shows no problem. But, before leaving from here, i want to make sure. Please advise, did we have to show bank balance etc

MrsFychan Oct 14th 2013 8:16 am

Re: Please advise on gradute job search visa

http://www.dol.govt.nz/immigration/k...base/item/1074

you will have to show funds minimum $4200.

so you leaving your new wife to come back here?

shivaj Oct 14th 2013 9:29 am

HI MrsFychan,

Thank you for the answer, i will check the link.

No, it is arranged marriage from the parents of both end. She will complete her education in June 2014. By that, if some thing works out, she will come to new zealand.

scot47 Oct 14th 2013 11:47 am

Are arranged mariages legal in New Zealand ?

shivaj Oct 14th 2013 12:55 pm

HI Scot, Are you serious :ohmy:

What ever it may be marriage is the one thing that happens as a life event. Ofcourse, any one can joke on this (no one can change it).

I didnt where this discussion is going on. Any one, please clarify my doubt.

MrsFychan, i checked the link you posted. It says like after "If you decide to apply after your student visa expires, you have 3 months to do so... " but it didnt say anything like, can i go to my country and come back 15 days or 1 month prior to apply for the Graduate Job Search Visa.

MrsFychan Oct 14th 2013 7:22 pm

marriage certificates are not a basis to prove to immigration that your relationship is a serious one you have to prove that you are a unit and work and share a life together. joint bank accounts, joint bills, outings, holidays etc. so if you cannot provide evidence you may struggle to get your new wife out with you

Catchafire Oct 15th 2013 2:45 am

Originally Posted by shivaj (Post 10943587)
HI Scot, Are you serious :ohmy:

What ever it may be marriage is the one thing that happens as a life event. Ofcourse, any one can joke on this (no one can change it).

Hi Shiva, it was a poor joke on Scot's part.

However MrsFychan point regarding NZIS view upon relationships stands. You must demonstrate that you have been living together, as man and wife, usually for 12 months and have supporting documentation.

shivaj Oct 15th 2013 2:54 am

HI Catchafire and Scot,

Scot, I am sorry.

Honestly i didnot know these rules and in addition i am first time listening this. Because, in our country marriage is something that is decided my parents. So, when scot said like that, i thought it is a joke.

Once again, i apologize because i cannot joke on the people who is going to advise me.

MrsFychan, thank you. I will check these documents before fileing my wifes application.

Persephone Oct 15th 2013 5:21 pm

There is a special category for culturally arranged marriages though I'm not sure how it relates to temporary visa holders so you may have to read round a bit more;) It appears to be more for those who are NZ residents or citizens but are marrying from abroad.
http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...s.htm#marriage

It may be that you can apply for an 'open' work visa for her as you would be a temporary work visa holder [graduate job search]. The above does indicate that NZIS accept arranged marriages.
However I cannot find anything on partners coming to NZ if one is on a graduate job search visa. It may be worth contacting NZIS directly to ask about this.
Firstly I can't find whether partners are allowed under that type of visa and secondly I can't answer on how likely NZIS are to accept your wife as part of a stable and genuine relationship. The above part shows that they do accept and understand arranged marriage as traditional so it may be ok:)

As for your questions on travelling, I can't see why it should be a problem:

To be eligible for a Graduate Work Search Visa you must:
have successfully completed a qualification in New Zealand that meets the study to work qualification requirements
apply no later than three months (six months if you have completed a doctoral qualification) after the end date of the student visa for that qualification
provide evidence of a minimum of NZ$4,200 available to maintain yourself during your 12-month stay in New Zealand (we will accept traveller's cheques or bank documents in your name).
Hope this helps!
P:)