British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   Ping pong Pom visa issue (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/ping-pong-pom-visa-issue-809197/)

LauraNotts Sep 13th 2013 9:45 pm

Ping pong Pom visa issue

Hey all,

I arrived in NZ in July 2013 on a 12 month working holiday visa. I have a job right now and am happy to work that through, they've also said they are happy to sponsor me for a three year work visa. Trouble is I don't want to stay in the town I am in long term as it's just too small and isolated. I want to move to an actual city.

Right now I am thinking I might work through my 12 month visa, go home, regroup a bit and then plan a new move out to a proper long term job in a bigger city on a three year visa. I'm a nurse so I feel pretty confident I could get work. I like NZ and like the idea of staying but I want to be able to do it somewhere long term and sustainable.

Is this insane? Talk to me people :)

Robbie2010 Sep 13th 2013 11:34 pm

Re: Ping pong Pom visa issue

If you are a Nurse why not apply for Permanent Residency now?

LauraNotts Sep 13th 2013 11:41 pm

Because I don't hold a residence visa right now and can't get one because I don't earn enough yet. Aside from this I won't have been in NZ long enough by the time I need to apply. I also won't have tax residency status as I won't have been in NZ long enough. I don't have a home here or a business or investment which are the other things that would be able to qualify me for residency.

Residency is out of reach for me until I have at least another year of nursing experience so I can earn enough to qualify for the first rung of the visas. Believe me I looked into this option too.

Robbie2010 Sep 14th 2013 2:28 am

I'm still not convinced that you would not be eligible for PR.

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...killedmigrant/

How many points do you get on the indicator?

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/pointsindicator

If not enough how about a WTR visa?

escapedtonz Sep 14th 2013 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by LauraNotts (Post 10900021)
Because I don't hold a residence visa right now and can't get one because I don't earn enough yet. Aside from this I won't have been in NZ long enough by the time I need to apply. I also won't have tax residency status as I won't have been in NZ long enough. I don't have a home here or a business or investment which are the other things that would be able to qualify me for residency.

Residency is out of reach for me until I have at least another year of nursing experience so I can earn enough to qualify for the first rung of the visas. Believe me I looked into this option too.

You can apply for Residency whenever you like. You don't have to hold a Residency type visa first or earn a minimum salary.
With you mentioning businesses and investments, property etc I'm of the opinion you are confused between Residency and Permanent Residency ?

For a Residency Visa, you just need to meet the eligibility criteria and have enough points for the Expression Of Interest - see previous post links.
The fact you have a long term job offer from your current employer means you will get the bonus points for it which should be enough to take you up to the magic 140 for automatic selection along with experience and qualifications.

On the other hand you could go for the 3 year temp work visa which will be conditional on the job offer from your current employer then when you have it look for another job in a bigger city. If you get another offer all you have to do first (before accepting it) is approach Immigration with the offer to see if you still meet the criteria to have the Temp work visa with the new job and new employer.
If Immigration approve, you can accept the new job and Immigration will re-issue you another temp work visa for the balance of the 3 years or to the end of your new offered contract.

Regards,

BEVS Sep 15th 2013 4:19 am

Originally Posted by LauraNotts (Post 10900021)

Hi Laura
All that you have written above doesn't apply to the skilled migrant category & it would likely be the SMC that you would apply for NZ residency under.

Earnings level would be more relevant to a Work to Residence visa. That is a 2 year temporary work visa which can lead to NZ residency. That is the category that has an earnings stipulation attached.
With the skilled migrant category you just need to be earning the 'going rate' for your occupation and skill level. NZIS check that against the Dept of Labour .

Having worked for a while in NZ is helpful to earn extra points under the Skilled Migrant Category. If one had enough points though, it would matter if you had worked in NZ or not. You could still apply for NZ residency under the SMC.

Tax residency is irrelevant unless you would have been out of the country , more time than you were in it AFTER having been given NZ Residency.

Having a home, business or investment is irrelevant as those are different immigration polices bot connected to the Skilled Migrant Category.

Now, this makes sense. I believe one needs 3 years of nursing experience to qualify for the points under the SMC. From what you write you don't have this yet?
So, is it that you are perhaps you being paid as a student nurse as you don't yet have 3 yrs experience?

In which case, perhaps take up the temporary work permit offer. There is nothing to stop you looking for another job later on and then varying the conditions of your temp work permit. It would also give you more work exp. and that work exp. would be in New Zealand which would earn you points under the SMC.

I would also add that all manner of nurses were ont he long term shortage list until recently. Just have a care that your type of nursing may not be in shortage here should you leave and then wish to return.
Please look as to which type of nursing has remained on the long term shortage list. It;s an indication of how the job situation is out there.

A job in the hand is worth it's weight in gold when it comes to immigration policy.

LauraNotts Sep 15th 2013 12:20 pm

Thanks to everyone for their responses.

I still can't apply for PR as I am a mental health nurse so can't go down the LTSSL route right now. Talking to my colleagues there is a significant problem with recruitment of psychiatric nurses in NZ but right now we're not on it so I can't do it.

I had just assumed skilled migrant was LTSSL and apparently it isn't (I hope) because that means I may actually go ahead and apply for residency. I should have enough points to succeed, I am planning to contact HR at work and ask them if they could support me to apply.

BEVS you're right I was looking at work to residence and don't earn enough yet even though I'm being paid as a qualified. You have to earn $55,000 gross and I am currently only on $50940 (the second level of registered nurse), going up to $54000 in Oct this year so I wouldn't pass the marker until Oct next year, but if I apply for residency this may actually sort itself out without issue.

I did the points calculator with the two years of current experience that I have and came out with 160 but I need to check I haven't over estimated anything.

BEVS Sep 15th 2013 9:20 pm

The LTSSL is not about applying for NZ residency as such. It is simply a list that states which occupations are in shortage. It is to help NZ employers needing employees in those occupations. It also acts as a bit of an enticement to anyone in those occupations thinking of maybe emigrating.

Your occupation is seen as 'skilled' , so you can apply for NZ residency under the skilled migrant category. You just need the points .

We can help talk you through and would be very happy to do so.

Do you have the required overall work experience. Not just NZ work exp but also work exp in the UK. 3years.

I know you have the required degree level and your nursing registration.

Take up the 3 yr job offer. It will give you so much breathing space.

LauraNotts Sep 15th 2013 10:55 pm

I have two years work experience split between the UK and NZ. I tried very clearly to state I had two years experience but put 'none' in the NZ experience box and it still gave me enough points. Am I doing this right?

kiwi wanna be Sep 20th 2013 7:41 pm

Mental health jobs being advertised in Lower Hutt which is not far from Wellington!

Job is advertised on the DHB website

KWB