Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ)
Reload this Page >

Physicist turned freelancer looking to emigrate from UK

Physicist turned freelancer looking to emigrate from UK

Old Aug 16th 2018, 10:02 pm
Just Joined

LeeHo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Physicist turned freelancer looking to emigrate from UK

Hi,

I'm thinking of applying for a skilled independent visa, but not sure if I'd be in with a chance.

I have a PhD in Physics from a UK University, but for the last 4 years have worked freelance as a Software Developer.
Whilst this is a pretty standard route in the UK (physics/maths - > software) my qualifications are obviously not in ICT.

From what I can gather, I would get 30pts for my age (33). 70 points for qualifications (PhD UK according to appendix 3). 20 points
(4 years software development experience)

However this only leaves me with 120 points and as I understand it the minimum number is 160pts, so I have no chance right now?

Are there no points for English IETLS like for Aus?

Would my 4 years software experience count if it's freelance? And does it count even though my qualifications are not directly in ICT?
I seemed to get into trouble with the Aus points as my qualifications and nominated occupation (software dev) don't really tie together by their reckoning, but it doesn't seem that this would be a problem here?

Last edited by LeeHo; Aug 16th 2018 at 10:06 pm.
Old Aug 16th 2018, 10:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

mikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Physicist turned freelancer looking to emigrate from UK

If you are going to use IELTS for help, then please spell it correctly on the application. Otherwise they may not accept that you are a genuine ingrish teacher
Old Aug 16th 2018, 11:04 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by mikemike
If you are going to use IELTS for help, then please spell it correctly on the application. Otherwise they may not accept that you are a genuine ingrish teacher
It's just a typo. A transposition . We all do this at times. My husband does it all the time in fact
However, did you post to the wrong place as the OP is not a teacher.

Originally Posted by LeeHo
However this only leaves me with 120 points and as I understand it the minimum number is 160pts, so I have no chance right now?
The way the points are pegged at the moment means that the majority of applicants need a job offer in place to reach the 160 mark.

No points for IELTS.
Old Aug 18th 2018, 4:41 pm
Just Joined

Arthur Dent 666 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, you need a job offer, or more realistically an actual job before the points work out. And the difficulty of getting a firm written offer of employment remotely was so hard, that my missus and I decided to gamble, and come over on a six-month visitor's visa. It worked out for us, but if you gamble and lose...
Old Aug 18th 2018, 8:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Clappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Arthur Dent 666
Yes, you need a job offer, or more realistically an actual job before the points work out. And the difficulty of getting a firm written offer of employment remotely was so hard, that my missus and I decided to gamble, and come over on a six-month visitor's visa. It worked out for us, but if you gamble and lose...
The New Zealand economy is tiny - sometimes the employers have difficulty finding staff and sometimes it is the employees that have difficulty finding work. Right now I think things are on employees' side and a gamble stands a better chance of success but a lot will depend on the type of work being looked for.