British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   Photos for police clearance UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/photos-police-clearance-uk-560260/)

getmethere Sep 8th 2008 11:56 am

Photos for police clearance UK

Hi everyone

bit of advice. For UK police certificates you have to have photos signed at the back by someone who is a professional and who has known you for 2 years.

Who did everyone use?

My OH has just changed jobs (only been there 6 months) so his Engineers and managers don't qualify I suppose. Don't know any Accountants or Lawyers personally, haven't got any friends who would count as professionals????? Doctor? Can I walk into the docs surgery and ask him to do it? Do you think he will?

Rock Ape Sep 8th 2008 11:59 am

Re: Photos for police clearance UK

Originally Posted by getmethere (Post 6761346)
Hi everyone

bit of advice. For UK police certificates you have to have photos signed at the back by someone who is a professional and who has known you for 2 years.

Who did everyone use?

My OH has just changed jobs (only been there 6 months) so his Engineers and managers don't qualify I suppose. Don't know any Accountants or Lawyers personally, haven't got any friends who would count as professionals????? Doctor? Can I walk into the docs surgery and ask him to do it? Do you think he will?

My french GP did ours free of charge but not sure of the situation in UK. It probably depends upon whether your GP knows you or not. Some polyclinics have many GPs and it may be that you never see the same one.

teebrown Sep 8th 2008 12:03 pm

I got my boss to do mine, as I am a Civil Servant, but for my certified copies of all documents, I did a good deal with a local solicitors, managed to get 20 bits of paper done for £15 (haggle haggle haggle)

Scouse Dave Sep 8th 2008 12:14 pm

We got ours done by our solicitor - because he was dealing with the sale of our house, he didn't charge us anything!

FYI - if you're already here, JPs will (have to) do it for free.

JasonSouthYorks Sep 10th 2008 4:07 pm

You've got me worried now.

I don't remember seeing anywhere about having to get police clearance or any photos signed on the back by anybody.
I have the police certificate but nothing else. The ITA form asked for 2 photos of every person with their name written on the back.

Is this something that I should have got done or is it something that they have requested from you specifically?

chippy64 Sep 10th 2008 4:16 pm

The following is from the ACPO website and guidance notes that you need to read before applying for your police certificate. Hope you can find someone on the list to sign your photos!

http://www.acpo.police.uk/certificates.asp

The back of your photograph needs to be signed by a person listed below.

This person is someone other than yourself or a family member who can confirm your identity and has known you for a minimum of 2 years.

Your chosen individual must:
• Complete and sign the declaration on the application form.
• Write “I certify this to be a true likeness of (your full name)” on the back of your photograph, which should be signed and dated.

In order to satisfy ACRO requirements, the person endorsing should be included in one of the following groups:

• Accountant
• Bank/building society official
• Barrister
• Broker
• Chairman / Director / Manager / Personnel Officer (limited company)
• Chiropodist
• Commissioner of Oaths
• Councillor: local or county
• Civil Servant (permanent)
• Engineer (Qualified)
• Fire Service Official
• General Practitioner
• Minister of a recognised religion
• Nurse (SRN and SEN)
• Member of Parliament
• Merchant Navy Officer
• Commissioned Officers and Warrant Officers of the Armed Services (active or retired)
• Optician/Chemist/Dentist
• Police Officer / Police Staff
• Post Office Official
• Solicitor
• Teacher or Lecturer

weejie Sep 11th 2008 8:36 am

I didn't do this either:unsure: but surely the CO would have said by now as they have referred the medicals they must have started going through the paperwork????? :confused: We also got the £10 form which meant we had a Disclosure Scotland police check AND a national police check done. No mention of photographs on the forms. I just took 2 forms of ID to the police station,filled it in and hey presto, both checks done! Not something else to worry about!!!

Phyllis

Stoof Sep 11th 2008 12:54 pm

it seems to be that there are two types of police checks being accepted by NZIS at present - the 'old' £10 checks (weejie and jasonsouthyorks i think these are yours) and the 'new' £35 checks where you have to provide the signed pics.... i started a thread on this a couple of days ago (sorry dunno how to do that sticking a link in here thing!) anyway... i think this may explain the lack of/need for pics

am in a dilemma now, dunno whether to do the £10 checks and hope they're still accepting them when we submit, or bite the bullet and get the £35 checks done to make sure they're ok but spend £50 more and have the hassle of getting someone to sign them!?! hmm

sjake Sep 11th 2008 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by Stoof (Post 6772199)
am in a dilemma now, dunno whether to do the £10 checks and hope they're still accepting them when we submit, or bite the bullet and get the £35 checks done to make sure they're ok but spend £50 more and have the hassle of getting someone to sign them!?! hmm

Would it be down to your individual police force & their protocols????? On the Hampshire police force website it takes you straight through to the ACPO website & thus the £35 ones. If the £10 ones are doing the job, then would rather save the extra £50 towards the other costs!! :confused: