British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   Phone call abut Work Visa (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/phone-call-abut-work-visa-496751/)

andrewmenet Nov 28th 2007 1:36 pm

Phone call abut Work Visa

I submited my WTR visa application on the 22nd and today I got a phone call saying that as I had no degree qual they will not process the application

However they are passing it to a case officer for a 2 year work visa and advised on a two week waiting time for visa. I've also been selected from the pool (EOI).

Is it worth waiting 1 or 2 years to complete the ITA or shall I do it as soon as I get it? Anyone else been turned down for a WTR but got a general work visa...then got PR via the work permit???

Maz Nov 28th 2007 4:57 pm

Re: Phone call abut Work Visa

Originally Posted by andrewmenet (Post 5610231)
I submited my WTR visa application on the 22nd and today I got a phone call saying that as I had no degree qual they will not process the application

However they are passing it to a case officer for a 2 year work visa and advised on a two week waiting time for visa. I've also been selected from the pool (EOI).

Is it worth waiting 1 or 2 years to complete the ITA or shall I do it as soon as I get it? Anyone else been turned down for a WTR but got a general work visa...then got PR via the work permit???

Well I didn't exactly get turned down for a WTR but it's what I applied for. They gave me a 2-yr work permit as it was just faster, to get me earning more quickly. My degree does not relate to my job, but I have one anyway. Is your work in a LTSSL area? Mine is, and once I started work here, without my degree being taken into account, I got 160 points. 210 with, so either way I'm OK. Am going to pick up my ITA package today. :thumbup:

Best of luck, but I think you'll be fine!

BEVS Nov 28th 2007 9:02 pm

Re: Phone call abut Work Visa

Hi Andrew.

Having the 2 yr work permit gives a little breathing space.

It gives you the chance to arrive and start work .It also allows for processing times for the EOI.

Did you get an NZQA assessment for the level 7 required for a system analyst, or whatever it is you do, as you don't have the required degree?
You would have sent in your qualifications and work exp. to NZQA for their full assessment.

There are the new rule changes to the SMC to consider. These SMC rule changes are still new to the table but it seems to me that you could be one of those who might gain by the change.

Currently you don't have the overseas degree to fit the job, hence the rejection for WTR.

Under the new rules it seems that 5 yrs. work experience would suffice . How this is assessed, I don't know. That is a question you should ask your case officer.

If you are sent an ITA by NZIS , then you will have 4 months in which to return the completed application to NZIS.

Should NZIS not be completely convinced or happy with your EOI then they will contact you and explain which areas are lacking. You will get around 10 days or so to get back to the case officer with any extra proof or information they require.

As you already have an EOI selected from the pool , there would not be a two year wait before something happens. You may as well take up the work visa and keep fingers crossed that you get an ITA.
Once you get that , perhaps take advantage of the new rules as you don't have a degree to match the job offer.

FWIW. We came on a 2 yr work visa . We had already submitted an EOI. We had just arrived here when we were sent our ITA and had PR 3 months after landing here in NZ.