Perpetual Tourist?

Old Feb 3rd 2007, 12:26 pm
Forum Regular

britishbull is on a distinguished road
Default Perpetual Tourist?

Hi, I am in the unfortunate position of being fifty but the fortunate poisition of having enough dosh to avoid work and was wondering if I could get away with spending three months in NZ, then three months in Thailand, three months in NZ. etc... as a tourist although I will be buying small apartments in both locations. Don't want to tie up two million NZ dollars on an investment visa BTW. I am British and about to sell house and other assets there, though it would be rather fun to become a perpetual tourist in a couple of locations.
Old Feb 3rd 2007, 12:51 pm

JakeG is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Perpetual Tourist?

Hi

I think I am right in saying that as a British citizen you can enter NZ for up to 6 months at time but are not allowed to return within 6 months of your last visit.
Old Feb 3rd 2007, 12:58 pm

JakeG is on a distinguished road

.....sorry should have said -

you should be able to enter for 3 months then go away for 3 months then come back for 3 months BUT then I think you will have to stay away for 6 months as I understand the rules. Checkout www.immigration.govt.nz
Old Feb 3rd 2007, 6:07 pm
Just Joined

tipsy10 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thats right, It's 6 months in and 6 months out unless you apply for a long extension which should be done before NZ arrival.

I'm in a similar situation. Please contact me britishbull we can help each other.

Thanks,

Tipsy
Old Feb 4th 2007, 1:50 am
Forum Regular

Thanks, last time I checked it was that you could not stay for more than nine months in eighteen month period and had to stay out of NZ for as long as you were in it if you exceeded this (six month visa for Brits which can be extended in NZ, BTW).

But I was not sure if this was for a single visit or if they added all the separate visits together. If it's a rolling eighteen month period it takes a bit of working out if the latter is the case.

I would definitely need to spend March-May each year out of Thailand as too hot but could probably finesse the other visits to work within the regulations.
Old Feb 4th 2007, 2:02 am
Forum Regular

The question then is if you stay for less than nine months in eighteen months on a rolling average does the staying out for as long as you stayed in rule still apply.

ie: under the 9 months in eighteen month rule you could stay in NZ for three months, out for three and half months, in for two months, out for three and half months, in for two months, out for three and half months, in for three months and so on and stay within that rule.

But if they added the months together than you stayed in NZ regardless of the fact that you were coming and going and not exceeding nine months in 18 months rule then you would have to stay out for five months on your second visit.

If both rules apply regardless then it would be 3 months in NZ, 9 months out, 3 months in which is a bit dodgy if you have to leave your apartment vacant for so long.