British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   Is permanent visa granted after ITA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/permanent-visa-granted-after-ita-805089/)

namaal Aug 5th 2013 10:50 am

Is permanent visa granted after ITA

I am new to this forum and also for the New Zealand visa process. I have planned to apply for SMC visa.

I have a bachelor degree in Information Technology and am working as a Senior Systems Engineer. In this field I possess 8 years of experience. According to the point system, it shows I can reach up to 140 points when I include my wife's qualifications too.

What my impression after I went through some information is that someone is not directly granted permanent visa after ITA and first he is awarded 9 months visa to work in New Zealand and during that period he need to find a skilled job and work for at least three months. Only after that he is granted permanent visa.

Please do excuse me if I am wrong. Can you please anyone give me a better idea on this.

Thanks in advance.

escapedtonz Aug 5th 2013 1:25 pm

Re: Is permanent visa granted after ITA

Originally Posted by namaal (Post 10835878)
I am new to this forum and also for the New Zealand visa process. I have planned to apply for SMC visa.

I have a bachelor degree in Information Technology and am working as a Senior Systems Engineer. In this field I possess 8 years of experience. According to the point system, it shows I can reach up to 140 points when I include my wife's qualifications too.

What my impression after I went through some information is that someone is not directly granted permanent visa after ITA and first he is awarded 9 months visa to work in New Zealand and during that period he need to find a skilled job and work for at least three months. Only after that he is granted permanent visa.

Please do excuse me if I am wrong. Can you please anyone give me a better idea on this.

Thanks in advance.

No, you are wrong.
After ITA and assuming all goes well with the Immigration process, you will be awarded a Residency visa or a Work To Residency Visa.
All depends how Immigration feel you will settle in NZ and your work possibilities etc.
If you are awarded Work To Residence this enables you to live study and work in NZ for a temporary period of 2 years, but in that 2 years you can apply for Residency assuming you want to stay in NZ permanently and you are able to settle and you have a permanent job.
If you are awarded Residency like many people are awarded through this application process (I've heard the Work To Residency visa's are slowly being phased out ?), it may well have some conditions on it relating to work.
i.e. It may state you must find a skilled job within a certain period and stay in the job for a certain number of months before that condition can be removed.
All depends on your individual circumstances.

It sounds like you may be confused over a Silver Fern Job Search Visa. This visa, if secured, allows the holder to travel to NZ and gives them 9 months to find a skilled job. Assuming they do find a skilled job that person then applies for a Silver Fern Practical Experience Visa which allows the holder to live study and work in NZ (in that skilled employment) for a temporary period.
This route can also lead to a more permanent visa.

Regards,

Persephone Aug 5th 2013 2:37 pm

Escapedtonz: I'm sorry but your post is not correct. It used to be that you were issued either residency or a WTR visa. This WTR visa was not the same as the other [2y] WTR visa and the conditions were totally different. They have now renamed it the Job search Visa to avoid confusion though the conditions that need fulfilling to gain residency are the same. Why they ever thought having two different visas called the same name was a good idea in the first place is beyond me:confused::)

escapedtonz Aug 5th 2013 2:51 pm

Yeah seems the goal posts have moved slightly.........

See here :-

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...migrant/apply/

Three possible outcomes now, are :-
Residency
Temporary Work Visa
Application denied

I'm sure it used to say Work To Residency!!!

Persephone Aug 5th 2013 2:58 pm

Namaal
Firstly, welcome to BE!
Your impression is correct as in that is one possibility when you apply under the SMC. I know escapedtonz has replied as well but his post does contain some inaccuracies, he is normally spot on with immigration stuff:)

When you return your ITA, NZIS will assess your application and there are three possible outcomes:

1. Residency: If your application includes a job offer then NZIS generally issue this straight off. There are exceptions however. You can still be issued residency if you do not have a job offer, you will have an interview where they assess how well they feel you will settle into life in NZ. I gained residency without a job offer in 2008. If they want to give you a chance to settle in NZ but do not feel they can offer residency straight off then they will offer you no.2:

2. Job Search Visa: this was previously called a work to residence visa [WTR] which caused confusion as there is another WTR visa which is totally different! The other WTR visa is the one that escapedtonz has described, it is not relevant to you.
This visa is the one you mentioned. You are issued a work visa, you have 3m to get the visas in your passports and 3m to enter NZ. You then have 9m to find work. Once you have worked for 3m you can convert this to residency.
One problem with this can be the amount of time you have to enter NZ, it is much shorter than if you are issued residency and can cause problems if you cannot move that quickly.

3. Application declined

Which of the two visas are issued depends on how well they assess you will fit into NZ. You haven't mentioned a job offer so I am assuming you do not have one. At the interview they will ask about your plans, how you intend to find work and what you know about NZ and how your occupation works in NZ. Do plenty of research!

Good luck
P:)

Persephone Aug 5th 2013 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by escapedtonz (Post 10836273)
Yeah seems the goal posts have moved slightly.........

See here :-

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...migrant/apply/

Three possible outcomes now, are :-
Residency
Temporary Work Visa
Application denied

I'm sure it used to say Work To Residency!!!

The goalposts haven't changed at all;) Just the terminology!
It did used to be called WTR BUT it was not the same as the Talent/ LTSSL WTR visa. You didn't have to work for two years if issued a WTR visa under the SMC. It confused the hell out of me when I was first applying, it was only when I asked at NZ House about the having to work for two years thing that they explained that that wasn't the case with that WTR visa. 9m work visa in order to find work, work 3m then convert to residency-same as now!

namaal Aug 6th 2013 2:58 am

Wow, this is very nice place. :) Many thanks to Persephone and Escapedtonz for your time and information.

I believe now I am gradually getting clear about the process.

Persephone: yes, at the movement I don't have a job offer. I searched on some job sites for a suitable opening and there are quite a lot opening there. But I learned from one of my friends who is living in NZ that it is a bit hard to find a relevant job even though there are lots of openings. Even it is a good sign if they call for an interview for an application.

Thanks for both of you again and I will go ahead with finding a job offer next. If I ran with unclear things about the process, I believe surely some of you again come for help.

Have a nice day! :) B' Regards.

Persephone Aug 6th 2013 4:47 pm

Happy to help:)

If you do have 140 points then that would be an automatic selection from the EOI pool. You wouldn't need a job offer as well, though obviously you'd want this when you get to NZ.
So, you could get residency before arrival though that depends on whether they issue residency or a jobsearch visa. And no one can predict which you'll get if you do not have a job offer in place. As I said, I did get residency without a job offer.

Come back to us if you have any other questions.
All the best with everything
P:)

BEVS Aug 6th 2013 11:55 pm

Originally Posted by namaal (Post 10837060)
Wow, this is very nice place. Many thanks to Persephone and Escapedtonz for your time and information.

They are good sorts aren't they. :)

:fingerscrossed: for the job hunt.