permanent visa

Old May 6th 2014, 9:11 am
Just Joined

nikkiandscott is an unknown quantity at this point
Default permanent visa

Hi
Just wanted to get a bit of information on visas im currently looking at emigrating to new Zealand ive been in contact with a company and they have offered me employment and ive been told I can apply for a permanent visa for new Zealand and once ive got that I wont need to apply for another visa unless I go fir citizen ship I just wanted to now if this is true and also what emigration company would people recommend
Many thanks scott
Old May 6th 2014, 10:32 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: permanent visa

most of us have not used an agent and I personally got bad information from one, luckily without paying out any money.

what visa/job are you being advised by the company to get?

your best bet would be to check out the Immigration site
http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...k/workperm.htm
to see if you are eligible to obtain a visa.

for others to help you would need to give us a bit more info. age, job, qualifications etc
Old May 6th 2014, 10:42 am
Just Joined

Im 40 years old and my job is on tthe short list im a diesel mechanic and have been for 25 years ive got city and guilds one and two I passed my ielts test im moving out with my wife and two children I hope thats covered a lot any more info you need ill be willing to post
Scott
Old May 6th 2014, 7:38 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Hello

I tried to find diesel mechanic on the SSL and on the ANZSCO list but got no responses back. Does it go under another name?
Which shortage list was it on?

Whoever told you that you wouldn't need to apply for another visa is not strictly correct. And you don't apply for a visa for citizenship-once a citizen you don't need a visa! It may be just the way you phrased it
Two methods of getting residency:

Work to Residence: the job offer must be for at least two years and be either on the Long Term Skills Shortage List or for an accredited employer. There are other conditions but that's it briefly. You are issued a temporary work visa which lasts for 30 months and you can apply for residency once you've worked for two years. Via this route you apply for residency via Residence from Work. Your family apply for separate study, work or visitor visas on the back of your application.

Skilled Migrant Category: Points based. You must have at least 100 points to be able to submit an Expression of Interest. Currently those with >100 points and points for a job offer are being selected every fortnight.
This visa does take longer to be issued but you are [generally] issued residency right from the start as opposed to in two years time under the WTR visa. Your family all go on the one EOI so no need for separate applications as above.
However after two years the travel conditions on your visa expire which means applying for a second visa/travel conditions at that time. You need this second visa to be able to leave NZ and return as a resident. Alternatively you never ever leave NZ..... So I suppose you don't actually apply for another visa but it's not the case that you do nothing once you gain residency.

If you were born in an English speaking country you don't usually need IELTS.

Most of us have done the visa application ourselves. They're relatively easy if you're methodical and agents are extremely expensive

So, first things first, can you direct me to your job please, as whether and which SSL it's on can determine which visa you can apply for

Hope this helps
P
Old May 6th 2014, 7:50 pm
Just Joined

Hi its on the long term skill list it comes under diesel motor mechanic list number 321212 I hope this helps
Old May 6th 2014, 7:52 pm

MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Persephone
Hello

I tried to find diesel mechanic on the SSL and on the ANZSCO list but got no responses back. Does it go under another name?
Which shortage list was it on?
is on the LTSSL
Trades Diesel Motor Mechanic (including Heavy Vehicle Inspector) (321212) National Certificate in Motor Industry (Automotive Heavy Engineering) (NZQF Level 4) AND a minimum of three years' relevant post-qualification work experience National Certificate in Motor Industry (Automotive Heavy Engineering) (NZQF Level 4) AND a minimum of three years' relevant post-qualification work experience.

So should apply through EOI/ITA and get PR with the 2 yr travel conditions. (which needs to be applied for within 3mths of your 2yr anniversary)
Old May 6th 2014, 8:13 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that MrsF - I just couldn't find it

So yes, to become resident it can be either through the SMC [if enough points] or via WTR as on the LTSSL if the OP has the required qualification.

You do not need to apply for a PRV within three months of your travel conditions expiring if you are still in NZ. That only applies if you are outside NZ.
Your resident visa does not expire even if your travel conditions do as long as you remain in NZ. Your residency is permanent it's the travel conditions that aren't-it was so much easier when we had a visa for each
Old May 6th 2014, 8:23 pm
Queen of the Underworld

National Certificate in Motor Industry (Automotive Heavy Engineering) (NZQF Level 4) AND a minimum of three years' relevant post-qualification work experience
is needed to apply under the LTSSL.

ANZSCO says that 3 years work experience can substitute for the above qualification. So even if you do not have a level 4 qual then work experience is enough to class you as being 'skilled' at that job.

Check your qualifications are listed here: http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...rq/default.htm
If they are then they will not need assessing by NZQA.

Have you done the points indicator yet? This tells you how many points you have and hence whether you have enough to apply under the SMC. I have a feeling you probably will if you have a job offer: https://www.immigration.govt.nz/pointsindicator/
It is approximate and sometimes gets it wrong but it is a good indicator.

Come back to us with any questions. Have the company given you a timescale as to when they'd want you to start?
Old May 6th 2014, 8:46 pm

Originally Posted by Persephone
You do not need to apply for a PRV within three months of your travel conditions expiring if you are still in NZ. That only applies if you are outside NZ.
Your resident visa does not expire even if your travel conditions do as long as you remain in NZ. Your residency is permanent it's the travel conditions that aren't-it was so much easier when we had a visa for each
we initially thought that but on changing schools for DS they needed a valid visa and the one in boys passport states it had expired, which made us worry about if we would be working legally if we did not renew it. Thats when we found out about the 3mths limit so had to put them in this week.
Old May 7th 2014, 7:19 am
Just Joined

Just one thing I might be missing it but can I apply for a permanent resident visa so once ive got that visa thats it I dont need to apply for another visa because ive seen resistant visa and permanent resident visa its probably a stupid question but I had to ask
Scott
Old May 7th 2014, 8:01 am

once you have PR thats it for visas, at the moment the doubt is do you have to then update it after the 2years to keep it "legal" or if you don't does it just mean if you leave the country you just can't get back in.
Old May 7th 2014, 8:32 am
Just Joined

That sounds good to me basically what I want to do is live and work permanently in new Zealand and do the trips back to the uk to visit but I want me and my family to be part of new Zealand so I would like to become a citizen as and when I can
Old May 7th 2014, 10:21 am

citizenship is 5yrs as long as you met the criteria
Old May 7th 2014, 4:33 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
we initially thought that but on changing schools for DS they needed a valid visa and the one in boys passport states it had expired, which made us worry about if we would be working legally if we did not renew it. Thats when we found out about the 3mths limit so had to put them in this week.
Originally Posted by MrsFychan
once you have PR thats it for visas, at the moment the doubt is do you have to then update it after the 2years to keep it "legal" or if you don't does it just mean if you leave the country you just can't get back in.
I went back and rechecked just to make sure I hadn't got it wrong

Once you enter NZ on a resident visa, you have the right to remain indefinitely. However if you wish to leave NZ and return as a resident then you must have valid travel conditions.

Your resident visa does NOT expire as long as you remain in NZ. Travel conditions do expire. So as long as you do not leave NZ you can still legally work with expired travel conditions forever [should you want to!]. There is no time limit on applying for further travel conditions or a PRV.
Do I need travel conditions?
You need to have valid travel conditions on your resident visa if you plan to leave and return to New Zealand as a resident. You do not need to have valid
travel conditions on your resident visa if you are in New Zealand and wish to remain in New Zealand.
The date your resident visa expired is either:
the date you left New Zealand, if your travel conditions have expired, or
the date your travel conditions expire, if you are out of New Zealand on that day.
The three months mentioned only refers to those outside NZ when their travel conditions expire. Your resident visa does expire if outside NZ without valid travel conditions. The requirement to have held a resident visa in the last 3 mths when applying for a PRV does not and cannot apply to those physically in NZ as your resident visa will not have expired.

However I wouldn't like to not have valid travel conditions on my visa. You never know when you might have to make an emergency trip and you don't want to be faffing around trying to sort your visa out then.

Hope this clears it up Doesn't do any harm to have to double check things myself
Old May 7th 2014, 4:57 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Originally Posted by nikkiandscott
That sounds good to me basically what I want to do is live and work permanently in new Zealand and do the trips back to the uk to visit but I want me and my family to be part of new Zealand so I would like to become a citizen as and when I can
We've gone a bit off topic and are well ahead of where you're at! I'll try and keep it simple, you might be better off ignoring my post above as it is a bit too detailed and is probably just going to complicate the matter

To live and work permanently in NZ you need a resident visa. The two methods open to you are the two mentioned above-SMC and WTR.
SMC is an application for residency-if successful you are a resident right from the start and have the right to remain in NZ indefinitely. Permanent resident and resident are often used interchangeably and mean essentially the same thing.

WTR- you start on a work visa and once you have worked for 2 years you can apply for a resident visa. This application for residency is different to the SMC ie you do not do your two years and then use the SMC method. You do get the same resident visa though As you can see you are not a resident for at least two years.

Once you are a resident then you need valid travel conditions in order to leave and return to NZ as a resident. Your first resident visa has travel conditions that last for two years. Once this expires you need to apply for further travel conditions if you wish to leave NZ.
A Permanent Resident Visa [PRV] is a resident visa that allows indefinite re entry to NZ ie permanent travel conditions that never expire. You can only get this if you have been a resident for at least two years and fulfil certain other conditions. A permanent resident visa as opposed to a resident visa has more to do with the travel conditions than a difference in the 'type' of residency.
If you do not qualify for a PRV, you can apply for a further RV with travel conditions. You are not 'stuck' in NZ!

Basically if you were to get a resident visa, move, live in NZ for two years and spend >184days in NZ in each of those two years then you would get a PRV.

Hope this hasn't complicated things for you, I have tried to keep it brief as actually getting a visa is the main thing to deal with at the moment. Have you looked at the points indicator above?
Ask anything you need to know and I'll try and answer!
P

Last edited by Persephone; May 7th 2014 at 5:02 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.