Permanent residency or work visa??

Old Jan 10th 2009, 10:00 am
Just Joined

wobbler is a jewel in the roughwobbler is a jewel in the roughwobbler is a jewel in the roughwobbler is a jewel in the roughwobbler is a jewel in the rough
Default Permanent residency or work visa??

A little of your advice would be greatly appreciated please. Our situation is this - we went out to NZ in Nov 2006 on LTBV, came back in April 2007 (long story). However, we want to go back. We have filled in the EOI and have received our ITA.

My question is this - what is the chance of us just being granted a work visa rather than Permanent Residency? We are lucky enough to be able to support ourselves via a private income, so we would not have to go and find work initially. Not sure whether anyone would employ me anyway - I've been out of the loop for a while!! If we were just to receive a work visa, we would be unable to do it, as we would be loathe to uproot the family AGAIN only to maybe have to come back AGAIN if I wasn't able to find employment.

Any help would be great - thanks so much in advance.
Old Jan 10th 2009, 10:14 am
BE Site Lead & Admin

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Permanent residency or work visa??

I am a bit ker-knackered right now so I may have read your post wrongly.

If you are awaiting your ITA , then once received , put all the required documentation together and send back to NZIS. Once they have checked through, you should receive your PR stickers and come to NZ to live and work at anything you choose.

Temporary Work Visa/Permits

You cannot get a work visa or permit without having a prior NZ job offer in place. This would not be offered in lieu of PR

Work to Reisidence

If you have applied under the skilled migrant category, then it could be that that NZIS might offer you the WTR route rather than PR straight off. They would do this if they felt they needed proof you can or will settle & will be able to support yourselves on a permanent long-term basis.
With this, you would be given an xx amount oif time to enter NZ and find work at your trade/skill/profession.

I don't think anyone here can say what NZIS might decide to do .
NZIS will certainly want it's skilled migrants to be able to arrive and find work, especially at this time of recession.
As you know , even those with millions of $$ still have to invest into the country somehow.

Is there something about your application that concerns you then?
Old Jan 10th 2009, 7:17 pm
Just Joined

wobbler is a jewel in the roughwobbler is a jewel in the roughwobbler is a jewel in the roughwobbler is a jewel in the roughwobbler is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Permanent residency or work visa??

Hi Bevs, thanks for the reply.

No, there's nothing to concern me about the application at all. I was just wondering if there was a chance that we may be granted WTR rather than PR straight off. If this WAS the case we would have to reconsider for a number of reasons. We have been through this emigration lark in the recent past, sold our business, got rid of ALL our stuff and moved over there only to have to come back 7 months later.

We would be willing (in a heartbeat) to do it again, knowing we have PR and can settle properly. But if we only had a work visa, we would be concerned that,having gone through the whole thing again, uprooting schools etc, that we may have to come back should I be unable to find a job. Does that make any sense??

Many thanks again for your reply and advise. Take care. x