British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   Permanent residency question! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/permanent-residency-question-766442/)

127luton Jul 27th 2012 9:34 pm

Permanent residency question!

hi there, myself and hubby have been here in nz for almost 2 yrs with a PR residency, and wondered about the process for getting the final residency ?stamp/sticker .? Do we just need to present our passports at the immigration office ? And is this after the expired date (ours is the 18th August ) or before? Just wondered?
B x:o

MOSO Jul 27th 2012 11:00 pm

Re: Permanent residency question!

Just fill out the forms, enclose the photos and passports and pay your money! I think it's about $180 each. You can do it whenever you like, you just can't leave the country and get back in after the 2 years without it. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...teps/apply.htm

I took mine to the immigration office in Wellington, it took them about 2 mins to sort it!

127luton Jul 28th 2012 12:39 am

Originally Posted by MOSO (Post 10197101)
Just fill out the forms, enclose the photos and passports and pay your money! I think it's about $180 each. You can do it whenever you like, you just can't leave the country and get back in after the 2 years without it. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...teps/apply.htm

I took mine to the immigration office in Wellington, it took them about 2 mins to sort it!

Thanks for that!

alexn Aug 2nd 2012 7:28 am

Congrats on your success. The immigration people will accurately confirm this for you. I think after three or four years you just get your citizenship.

Originally Posted by 127luton (Post 10196991)
hi there, myself and hubby have been here in nz for almost 2 yrs with a PR residency, and wondered about the process for getting the final residency ?stamp/sticker .? Do we just need to present our passports at the immigration office ? And is this after the expired date (ours is the 18th August ) or before? Just wondered?
B x:o

MrsFychan Aug 2nd 2012 7:35 am

Originally Posted by alexn (Post 10206237)
Congrats on your success. The immigration people will accurately confirm this for you. I think after three or four years you just get your citizenship.

Incorrect. its 5 years for Citizenship and you need to apply, submit forms and money then attend a Ceremony on a given day.

ellenarosemary Aug 2nd 2012 7:57 am

Also note its 5 years from the date you entered New Zealand and not the date you got your original PR - as this could differ quite a bit.

MrsFychan Aug 2nd 2012 8:03 am

Originally Posted by ellenarosemary (Post 10206302)
Also note its 5 years from the date you entered New Zealand and not the date you got your original PR - as this could differ quite a bit.

good point thank you :thumbup:

scrubbedexpat094 Aug 2nd 2012 10:47 pm

Correct ;)

GoingIn2011 Aug 6th 2012 1:15 pm

It is five years as a resident, permanent or not. Not when you entered.

You may be eligible for a grant of New Zealand citizenship if you:
intend, if granted citizenship, to continue to reside in New Zealand;
are able to understand and speak English;
are of good character;
understand the responsibilities and privileges of New Zealand citizenship;
have New Zealand residence; and
were physically present in New Zealand, and have had your New Zealand residence for the last five years before applying for citizenship.

http://www.dia.govt.nz/Services-Citi...p?OpenDocument

RobDon Aug 6th 2012 10:04 pm

Originally Posted by GoingIn2011 (Post 10212855)
It is five years as a resident, permanent or not. Not when you entered.

intend, if granted citizenship, to continue to reside in New Zealand;
are able to understand and speak English;
are of good character;
understand the responsibilities and privileges of New Zealand citizenship;
have New Zealand residence; and
were physically present in New Zealand, and have had your New Zealand residence for the last five years before applying for citizenship.

http://www.dia.govt.nz/Services-Citi...p?OpenDocument

I thought you had to have been in NZ for the full 5 years prior to applying. :confused:

BEVS Aug 6th 2012 11:59 pm

You have to have been in NZ as an NZ resident for 5 years.

You cannot count the time spent living and working in NZ on a temporary work visa etc..
You need a resident sticker & also to have been here in NZ.

citybanklondon Aug 8th 2012 5:46 am

Perhaps MOSO or MrsFychan can help regarding a query I have about PR and PRV. We now have our PR stickers in our passports and have 12 mths to arrive in NZ. After arriving in order to obtain PRV the 'Principle' applicant has to show he has been in NZ for a minimum of 184 days in each of the two years (i.e. six months in each year). Does this mean if the family arrives in NZ the dependants can leave after a few days as long as the 'Principle applicant' meets the 184 days condition? At the end of 2 years will all family members receive PRV?

Secondly once you have PRV then are you free to come and leave NZ whenever you wish without any restriction regardless of the time you spend outside NZ ? The reason I ask this is that my spouse needs to do her time in the UK to move from ILR to Citizenship and if all family members (and just the principle applicant) needs to do the 184 day period in NZ then I can do that whilst the spouse stays in the UK.

Lastly, with PRV I understand it has to be stamped in a valid passport before traveling to NZ and so if it is in an expired one then it needs to be endorsed on a valid/new passport. I assume this can be done from any NZIS Immigration post and does not have to be done inside NZ? Is this correct.

Thanks for the help!!
citybank

MrsFychan Aug 8th 2012 8:59 am

sorry citybank I'm not sure. I've had a look on the Immigration site and it does seem to keep mentioning the Principal applicant.
My husband was working here on a Working Visa and we followed him out 6mths later in January this year on visiting visa so 6mths and ongoing flight from NZ after those months. We obtained our PR as a family in February. As my husband had been in the job for more than 3mths we had no travel restrictions on out visa (my understanding).
The 2 yr thing only became knowledge to me about 2 weeks ago, really do need to go and read the approval letter properly before February 2014.

I personally would give NZ House a call if no one else comes on with some advice/knowledge on this.

citybanklondon Aug 8th 2012 9:28 am

Thanks Mrs FYChan- I have managed to get email addresses of NZIS offices and shall shoot off an email to see what they say. If it is just the principle applicant then why waste time in NZ when the spouse can be doing time for her UK citizenship (which is 3 years). They can just pop in for a week have a holiday and leave. The way things are going in europe I think for the kids its best to have the NZ option in hand by virtue of the PRV so we can return at anytime if need be. Thanks anyway! citybank

MrsFychan Aug 8th 2012 10:52 pm

Chippy64 might be able to shed some light on this Citybanklondon as I know part of her family stayed in NZ whilst she stayed in UK to tie up ends