Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ)
Reload this Page >

PERMANENT RESIDENCE VISA & TRAVEL CONDITIONS

PERMANENT RESIDENCE VISA & TRAVEL CONDITIONS

Old Oct 14th 2013, 1:29 pm
Just Joined

lavalamp is an unknown quantity at this point
Default PERMANENT RESIDENCE VISA & TRAVEL CONDITIONS

Hi
I have been reading Persephone thread on the new rules.

I have a residence visa sponsored by my daughter for 5 years under the Parent Category. I have a condition that says I can travel in and out of NZ for 60 months with no restrictions.

1. If I buy a property within months of arriving can I then get my Permanent Residence visa after 2 years or do I still need to wait 5 years.

2. If I do not travel out of NZ, after 2 years can I apply for Permanent Residency or again do I have to wait 5 years.

Just need to clarify these points.

Thanks for any help.
Old Oct 14th 2013, 7:20 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: PERMANENT RESIDENCE VISA & TRAVEL CONDITIONS

not sure if it is the same on the parent category, but the 2 years is the travel restrictions is the travel one and the 5 years is for Citizenship. as I said not sure if it is the same on parent category so maybe check out Immigration website or phone/pop in to local Immigration office.
Old Oct 15th 2013, 5:57 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't realise that those applying under the parent category get travel conditions of 60mth.

1. If I buy a property within months of arriving can I then get my Permanent Residence visa after 2 years or do I still need to wait 5 years.
Have a read through the Operations Manual for residency section RV2.5. This gives more detail on how to apply for a PRV and whether what you're intending on doing would apply. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...ationalmanual/

2. If I do not travel out of NZ, after 2 years can I apply for Permanent Residency or again do I have to wait 5 years.
It appears that you can apply for a PRV after two years rather than having to wait for your travel conditions to expire. At least, I cannot find anything that refers to the Parent category and the need to wait five years. So I assume from that that if you fulfil the normal conditions for a PRV you can apply. However I would not like to say for definite- you're right, it's not that clear!
This is the only reference I can find in the Operations Manual under PRV:

RV2.10 Permanent resident visas for holders of resident visas with investment conditions imposed under section 49(1)
a. Principal applicants who have been granted a resident visa under
i the Active Investor Migrant policy; or
ii the Migrant Investment Categories; or
iii the Parent Retirement Category;
will be granted a permanent resident visa if the requirements of RV2.10 (b) below have been met.
b. At the time of application, principal applicants must:
i hold or are deemed to hold a resident visa; and
ii have held, or have been deemed to hold, a resident visa for at least 24 months; and
iii have met conditions previously imposed under section 49(1) of the Immigration Act 2009.
P
Old Oct 16th 2013, 10:39 am
Just Joined

lavalamp is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Persephone

I have gone through the manual from start to end and can find nothing of the 60 months travel conditions for the Parent Category. I think it is because we are being sponsored by my daughter for 5 years. This was my dilemma. Was just trying to clear up a few questions.
Thanks for your help.
Old Oct 17th 2013, 3:13 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

I can't find anything either. Not sure why you get 60mth travel conditions yet it appears you can apply for a PRV after two years.
The only reason I can think of is that you then have longer to sort out the move eg selling a house etc. Also you're not coming over to work so there's maybe less of a rush.
It may be best to ask NZIS directly to get a definite answer and please come back and let us know what they say!