British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   Passports...running out (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/passports-running-out-549017/)

Sqidworth Jul 14th 2008 9:00 pm

Passports...running out

Ok.. i've been stupid i know.. but my passport only has about a year left on it.. This hasnt really seemed to be a problem really, but I am just about to submit my ITA and dont have time to renew my passport before the submission deadline is up..

I guess what im asking is - in the event of me getting PR.. does anyone know what would happen if i need to renew my passport.. does the sticker follow this? or would i need to apply for another one?

many thanks

R

howden40 Jul 14th 2008 10:42 pm

Re: Passports...running out

It shouldn't be a problem. We submitted out ITA and then my 19 year old son put his through the washing machine totally ruining it, it was a bit 'ropy' to start with due to his constantly putting it in and taking it out of his pocket when out clubbing . We just got a new one for him and sent that for the Visa's to be put in, it came back with the Visa's.

Also if you put a date of travel on the envelope for your passport application you tend to get it back by that date as it goes to the front of the queue. We did this for James, sent it mid November put a date of expected departure as early December and had it back by return post.

I'm sure if you put a date on the envelope for when you need to post passport you should have it back.

Hope this helps

Pauline

newkiwi Jul 16th 2008 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by Sqidworth (Post 6570910)
Ok.. i've been stupid i know.. but my passport only has about a year left on it.. This hasnt really seemed to be a problem really, but I am just about to submit my ITA and dont have time to renew my passport before the submission deadline is up..

I guess what im asking is - in the event of me getting PR.. does anyone know what would happen if i need to renew my passport.. does the sticker follow this? or would i need to apply for another one?

many thanks

R

When my passport expired i went to the immigration service with my old passport and my new passport. they put a new sticker in my new passport and charged my (i cant remember $50-$100 or something in that order) for the privelidge. Wasnt an issue really, you can do it over the post but i didnt want to post my passport off if i could avoid it.
Note that NZ immigration requires you to have a valid visa in a valid passport, so dont go overseas with a new passport without a visa, even if you carry your still valid visa in an expired passport.

Sqidworth Jul 16th 2008 9:14 pm

Thanks guys.... will sort it out asap then just to be safe.

R