Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ)
Reload this Page >

Partnership Visa for UK citizen - bit confused

Partnership Visa for UK citizen - bit confused

Old Mar 4th 2013, 2:06 pm
Forum Regular

arthurfowler is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Partnership Visa for UK citizen - bit confused

Hello, I am a british citizen and my partner is a NZ citizen (born there). I am a bit confused by the visa application process in places and was hoping for a bit of help. I thought it would be easier to list the questions...

1. By applying for a partnership visa, am I automatically entitled to work in New Zealand? Do I need to apply for another visa too?

2. I am unsure as to whether to provide general medial certificate, limited medical certificate and/or x-ray. I have not lived anywhere other than the UK for longer than 3 months. Do you know how much these certificates cost?

3. Do I need to provide a birth certificate if I provide a full british passport (and vise versa)?

4. How long should I expect to wait in terms of the application being approved/denied?

5. How long before passport etc would be returned?

7. My partner has been living in the UK for the last 6/7 years. Does that affect anything in terms of the application process?

Thank you!!
Old Mar 4th 2013, 3:05 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Partnership Visa for UK citizen - bit confused

Hello and welcome!

I'll try and answer. I will assume you are applying for residency under partnership, yes? Also I am assuming that you have lived together for 12 months or more, it's time lived together rather than marriage than NZIS are interested in.

1. By applying for a partnership visa, am I automatically entitled to work in New Zealand? Do I need to apply for another visa too?
If you are applying for residency then you will be able to live and work in NZ, there are no restrictions on what you can do.

2. I am unsure as to whether to provide general medial certificate, limited medical certificate and/or x-ray. I have not lived anywhere other than the UK for longer than 3 months. Do you know how much these certificates cost?
It's all in this link - http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...ly/default.htm
As for cost, look up panel doctors close to you and phone round for costs. They do vary, sometimes quite wildly so worth shopping around. You need to use a panel doctor. The list is on the NZIS website.

3. Do I need to provide a birth certificate if I provide a full british passport (and vise versa)?
The link above mentions the need for a FULL birth certificate so yes you do. They cost around 10 pounds to obtain if you haven't got the long version. You will have to provide a passport for your visa to be stuck into!
4. How long should I expect to wait in terms of the application being approved/denied?
Processing times are under the London section on the website. Look under 'Contact Us'
5. How long before passport etc would be returned?
?? Depends on how long it takes. You should be able to send in a certified copy of your passport if you need it whilst the application is going through. I only sent in my passport when the stickers needed to be put in [though that was SMC]
7. My partner has been living in the UK for the last 6/7 years. Does that affect anything in terms of the application process?
Very much so and possibly to your advantage as well...depending on how long you have been together
However, new policy settings enable a small number of residence applicants to progress directly to a permanent resident visa. These are:
foreign national partners of New Zealand citizens (and the partner’s dependent children) where:

•the New Zealand citizen has been living overseas for at least five years, or has been in New Zealand for three months or less after living overseas for at least five years, and
•the partnership has been ongoing for at least five years.
If you don't fulfil the 5 year condition above then you will be granted a residence visa with travel conditions lasting two years. This allows you to leave NZ and return as a resident. If you have spent enough time in NZ when the travel conditions expire [or fill one of the other categories] then you will be granted a Permanent Resident Visa. This means there are no restrictions on the amount of time you have to spend in NZ to retain residency.
Hope this helps
P
Old Mar 4th 2013, 4:07 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you so much for your help! Yes your assumptions are indeed correct.

I have a couple more questions if you don't mind. This is all very daunting and the move is happening so quickly, that my mind is fried

1. Panel doctors: thanks I will shop around.

2. How long does a Partnership based temporary visa last? It is MUCH cheaper than a family category: partnership visa and is processed quicker it seems. Can I apply for this and then extend to a resident visa whilst in nz if we decide to stay longer than 18 months?

3. Are there any advantages to applying for residence under the partnership category vs applying for the temporary work visa under partnership?
Old Mar 4th 2013, 4:28 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Have a fried mind is quite normal when dealing with NZIS Don't worry!

For the temporary visa the website says this:
If the couple has lived together in a partnership for 12 months or more at the time the application is assessed, a work visa may be granted for the length of the couple's intended stay, up to a maximum of 24 months.
You can then apply for a residency visa to keep you in NZ. If staying longterm then this is the more secure option. I'm not sure whether they routinely issue a 2 year visa or one for less than that though. I also do not know whether it is possible for further temp visas to be issued once the two years expire or whether you then have to apply for a more permanent visa. The relevant section almost seems to infer that but does not say so-maybe contact NZIS to check on this.

The advantages of applying for residency straight off are that if you are planning on staying in NZ permanently then it does save the cost of the temp visa. You also have the right to remain in NZ should you split up for example and you want to stay [without you having to apply under your own steam]
You said something about 'if you decide to stay longer than 18months' If you definitely won't be then the temp visa is the cheaper and best option. If you might want to stay then you have to decide on which is the best visa to go for.
Old Mar 4th 2013, 8:22 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Persephone
Have a fried mind is quite normal when dealing with NZIS Don't worry!

For the temporary visa the website says this:

You can then apply for a residency visa to keep you in NZ. If staying longterm then this is the more secure option. I'm not sure whether they routinely issue a 2 year visa or one for less than that though. I also do not know whether it is possible for further temp visas to be issued once the two years expire or whether you then have to apply for a more permanent visa. The relevant section almost seems to infer that but does not say so-maybe contact NZIS to check on this.

The advantages of applying for residency straight off are that if you are planning on staying in NZ permanently then it does save the cost of the temp visa. You also have the right to remain in NZ should you split up for example and you want to stay [without you having to apply under your own steam]
You said something about 'if you decide to stay longer than 18months' If you definitely won't be then the temp visa is the cheaper and best option. If you might want to stay then you have to decide on which is the best visa to go for.
Thanks for your help! You're a star!

I think I will go for the tem visa but as you say contact nzis first to make sure!
Old Mar 13th 2013, 12:30 pm
Forum Regular

Can someone help me understand whether or not I need to supply a General or limited medical certificate under a Temporary Partnership Visa?

This is what's written in the guide for Temp Partnership Visa:

Which medical certificate should be provided?

There are two medical certificates, the General Medical Certificate (INZ 1007) and the Limited Medical Certificate (INZ 1201). The Limited Medical Certificate must only be provided by partners of New Zealand citizens and residents, who meet the requirements to be granted residence under the Partnership Category, which includes living together in a stable and genuine partnership for at least 12 months. You can find out further information about the Partnership Category from the Residence Guide (INZ 1002). All other applicants must provide the General Medical Certificate.

I am not sure I understand this. I have been living in a stable relationship for over 12 months and will send proof in order to obtain the temp partnership visa. However it says above that the limited medical certificate is for those who meet the requirements to be granted access under the more complex visa application partnership category.

I am applying for a temp partnership visa and can prove I have been living with my partner for over 12 months etc, but i'm just confused as to what to provide? Can anyone please help?
Old Mar 13th 2013, 12:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

TommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond repute

FWIW - I recently went through almost the exact scenario the OP is going though and can validate all of what Persephone has said

In lay terms, I've now got a little blue sticker in my British passport that allows me to the come and go to New Zealand as I please, forever.

I applied for a partnership family visa and only had to submit the Limited Medical Certificate.

I can't speak for the Temp Partnership Visa.

Where do you live? I would highly recommed visitng NZ House on Haymarket in London to go through it all with them face to face.

Last edited by TommyLuck; Mar 13th 2013 at 12:54 pm.
Old Mar 13th 2013, 2:51 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Thanks TommyLuck I try my best!

Arthur, that quote is from the temporary visa section so my reading of it is that you would need the limited medical cert. You fulfil the conditions needed for issue of a residence visa even though you are not applying for one.
Think of it this way, a limited cert is accepted for those applying for residency. It would not make sense to require those applying for a temporary visa to be required to be at a higher standard than those going for residency. It means those with the same relationship [ie >12m living together] are assessed the same.

It just means you have to meet the same requirements, that's all but I can see where the confusion comes from. That worry that you're getting it wrong somewhere, been there, done that!

If you are still concerned then speak to NZIS about it, after all I am not an expert on this!
Old Mar 13th 2013, 2:59 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Persephone - that's what I was hoping (as it's cheaper haha)! I would contact them, but they cost £1 per min to speak to them according to the website

I think I am all set now (famous last words)
Old Mar 13th 2013, 3:06 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Go for it, all the best, though I'm sure you'll be fine
Old Mar 13th 2013, 4:35 pm
Forum Regular

Sorry another question!

in my temp partner visa checklist, it says this:

Important note: health and character requirements are based on your intended length of stay in New Zealand, not the length of visa you are applying for (i.e. if you are intending to spend three years in New Zealand and are only applying for a six month visa initially, you are still required to submit the relevant health and character certificates).

I am initially unsure of how long I will be in NZ. It could be for longer than 24 months - but might not be. The above seems to imply that I cannot get the character statements for a longer term visa whilst out in NZ. Am I reading this correctly?

Plus does anyone know how to get a certified copy of an NZ passport?

Last edited by arthurfowler; Mar 13th 2013 at 4:51 pm.
Old Mar 13th 2013, 5:33 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Sorry, I'm not sure what you mean I read it as saying that if you're planning on staying a certain amount of time then supply the requirements for a longer term visa even if your initial visa isn't that long.
I don't know that it will make any difference for you as don't you need to supply the same xray and medical certs if you're staying for over one year anyway? I could be wrong

Getting a certified copy of a passport is easy. Go to a solicitor with a photocopy of it and ask them to certify it. I paid 2pound 5 years ago [and in London!] so it shouldn't be expensive. Phone around for costs.
If it is for NZIS then a normal solicitor should be ok, I needed a notary public for my registration and they were very expensive
Old Mar 13th 2013, 5:40 pm
Forum Regular

oooh great thanks. do you think a certified copy of a passport which has subsequently been scanned and printed off will be acceptable? My partner is in nz at the moment...
Old Mar 13th 2013, 5:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

TommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by arthurfowler
oooh great thanks. do you think a certified copy of a passport which has subsequently been scanned and printed off will be acceptable? My partner is in nz at the moment...
This was acceptable for my PR application.
Old Mar 14th 2013, 9:40 am
BE Enthusiast

moonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to behold

You should be able to send in a certified copy of your passport if you need it whilst the application is going through. I only sent in my passport when the stickers needed to be put in [though that was SMC]

Hi peresphone, how do you do this and can it be done on a WTR visa?
We are delaying submitting our application as we need our passports for a holiday in April, but if we could do it this way we could deliver our passports to NZ house on our return
Thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.