British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   Partnership Residency Visa (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/partnership-residency-visa-914816/)

Steffy84 Jul 11th 2018 12:02 pm

Partnership Residency Visa

Hello lovely people! :p

I just wondered if anyone on here has recently had a partnership residency visa application approved and could give me an idea of how long it took? When I queried this with Immigration New Zealand prior to submitting the application they could only give me the average for the residency category as a whole (skilled migrant etc) which was 9 to 11 months!! Hoping it doesn't take that long, would love to hear any stories from you guys.

Also did you find immigration kept you up to date with your application or do you have to keep phoning and checking? I had a 5 minute phone call cost me £22 pounds the other day so don't want to ring unnecessarily but the person handling my application isn't responding to my emails and I will soon be signing on the dotted line to sell my house and would love some feedback before we do this. Haha. I am so worried as me and my partner aren't married and I am scared they won't grant his residency. Just want this all to be over, hahaha :lol:

Looking forward to hearing anyone experience. Thank you all!

escapedtonz Jul 12th 2018 10:02 am

Re: Partnership Residency Visa

Originally Posted by Steffy84 (Post 12531004)

I just wondered if anyone on here has recently had a partnership residency visa application approved and could give me an idea of how long it took? When I queried this with Immigration New Zealand prior to submitting the application they could only give me the average for the residency category as a whole (skilled migrant etc) which was 9 to 11 months!! Hoping it doesn't take that long, would love to hear any stories from you guys.

Also did you find immigration kept you up to date with your application or do you have to keep phoning and checking? I had a 5 minute phone call cost me £22 pounds the other day so don't want to ring unnecessarily but the person handling my application isn't responding to my emails and I will soon be signing on the dotted line to sell my house and would love some feedback before we do this. Haha. I am so worried as me and my partner aren't married and I am scared they won't grant his residency. Just want this all to be over, hahaha :lol:

As Resident or Residency Visa's go, the Family Category - Partnership and Dependent are the highest priority. It shouldn't take as long as 9 to 11 months. Hard to say for sure but all going well I'd reckon around 5 to 6 months assuming all your paperwork is in order and there's no medical delays with reports having to be assigned to a medical assessor.
Widespread communication problems are reported between Immigration Case Officers and their clients. They aren't the best for keeping in touch and you have every right to press them but unlikely (as you've found out) to get a written reply so giving them a ring may be the best option.
Being married or not really isn't a thing in Immigrations eyes. A marriage certificate doesn't make a blind bit of difference. They are highly keen on your relationship and need to be convinced it is genuine, loving, stable and has been going on for at least 12 months with you both living under the same roof and sharing your life. Immigration won't not grant his residency just because you aren't married but they can decline if they aren't convinced of your relationship. Hopefully you've sent in loads of evidence.
Good luck and hope you get an answer soon.

Steffy84 Jul 12th 2018 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by escapedtonz (Post 12531591)
As Resident or Residency Visa's go, the Family Category - Partnership and Dependent are the highest priority. It shouldn't take as long as 9 to 11 months. Hard to say for sure but all going well I'd reckon around 5 to 6 months assuming all your paperwork is in order and there's no medical delays with reports having to be assigned to a medical assessor.
Widespread communication problems are reported between Immigration Case Officers and their clients. They aren't the best for keeping in touch and you have every right to press them but unlikely (as you've found out) to get a written reply so giving them a ring may be the best option.
Being married or not really isn't a thing in Immigrations eyes. A marriage certificate doesn't make a blind bit of difference. They are highly keen on your relationship and need to be convinced it is genuine, loving, stable and has been going on for at least 12 months with you both living under the same roof and sharing your life. Immigration won't not grant his residency just because you aren't married but they can decline if they aren't convinced of your relationship. Hopefully you've sent in loads of evidence.
Good luck and hope you get an answer soon.

Thank you very much for your reply! It is very frustrating when they don't reply as everything is riding on this and the application plus medicals etc. are very expensive in total and I am only asking basic, easy to answer questions. My partner and I have two children aged 2 and 4 who are also on the application as dependents so I would like to think this fact demonstrates our relationship is serious but all I keep reading online is immigration constantly changing and clamping down on things, which is fair enough, but doesn't do my nerves any good. Haha. It would be fantastic to get a visa for them for Christmas! Fingers crossed!

knickerdropofglory Aug 21st 2018 5:56 am

Originally Posted by Steffy84 (Post 12531004)

How long did it take to get picked up by the handling person? I have not been told it has been picked up by anyone yet.
TIA

Steffy84 Aug 21st 2018 8:08 am

Originally Posted by knickerdropofglory (Post 12551876)
How long did it take to get picked up by the handling person? I have not been told it has been picked up by anyone yet.
TIA

I received an email from the handling person at the end of June so it was about a month from when they received the application. He emailed as he wanted a bit more info about something and that was the last we heard until he emailed and said that he had authorised it. 66 days after the receipt of the application my partner and children had their visas! Good luck!Hope yours goes through as quick as mine 😁

knickerdropofglory Aug 21st 2018 9:37 am

Originally Posted by Steffy84 (Post 12551918)
66 days after the receipt of the application my partner and children had their visas!

Sweet as!