British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   Partner visa- info needed! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/partner-visa-info-needed-779350/)

bloobird Dec 1st 2012 6:01 pm

Partner visa- info needed!

I am a british citizen preparing to move back to Nz with my boyfriend who is a new zealander. I meet all the character requirements and have all the paperwork ready to send off ect. I wondered if any one could give me a time frame of how long these types of visa take to process??
My boyf has booked his flight for end of Jan as his UK visa runs out then and i'm wondering whether it is too far fetched to think maybe my visa will be through by then..
Secondly, if i get the visa, once i am in NZ, am I free to come and go as much as I like? I know i have to spend 6 months of each of the first 2 years in NZ but apart from that? (Im a diving instructor so travel alot) I read the threads regarding this but it sounded complicated and wasn't sure if it applied to the type of visa i am going for.
help very much appreciated!

Caz8NZ Dec 2nd 2012 11:05 pm

Re: Partner visa- info needed!

Hi Bloobird.
I'm not 100% sure - but will respond until someone else can confirm.
I assume you are applying for this
"applying for residence under the Family Partnership Category"

I can't give advice on how long it will take to process but i think you would be incredibly lucky if it was processed and granted by the end of January. I've tried looking on the immigration site but can't find it at the moment. I would imagine it is much like other residency applications that they advise it can take up to 3 or 4 months to process after receipt. Don't give up all hope though as it can sometimes be quicker.

Re requirements to stay in the country. the 6 months in each of the first 2 years apply in terms of travel restrictions on your visa. If, after 2 years, you have met that criteria - you are free to come and go as you please ...you could go back to the UK to live for a couple of years and then still have the entitlement to come back to New Zealand.

If you spent more than this time out of the country in the first 2 years, you would not have those travel restrictions lifted from your visa, and it would also take longer to obtain citizenship if that was what you plnned to do.

ellenl Dec 3rd 2012 5:19 am

Hi

My 'work visa' obtained through the Family Partnership Category took 5 days to process! (we had an overload of info showing we were together & I had a visa a few years earlier so not sure if this helped!)
I am able to come & go when ever I like as well.

Good Luck

TommyLuck Dec 3rd 2012 11:36 am

When you say you have "all the paper work ready to send off" presumably you have signed medical forms, chesy x-ray forms and police certificate, etc?

I recently applied through the Family Partnership Category (assuming this is what you are doing) having never applied before, I am married to a Kiwi citizen.

I submitted my application on the 29th of October, so 5 weeks ago today. I have been told I've been 'approved in principle' and have given my credit card details over for the migrant levy - but as of today I am yet to have the official documentation in my possession - therefore, given the xmas new year period coming up that a end of Jan is probably cutting it fine and I'd consider it a risk to book flights.

In fact, I was initally given a time scale of 10-12 weeks and was advised that under no circumstances should I book any form of travel to New Zealand based on getting my visa, i.e. going there to stay, as opposed to a visit. And I should do this once I physically have the documents in my possesion.

This isn't a quick process and it's up to you, but I wouldn't recommend that you book flights for the end of January just yet. You might be fine, but there is a fair chance you'll miss your flight.

If any detail needs clarification by NZIS this will cause a delay. Obviously people to do everything to make sure all is present and correct, but there is a chance something they might need more info on something. Or they might want more evidence of this, that or the other.

Either way, it's your choice, but I'd proceed with extreme caution and probably wouldn't book anything just yet. Probably not what you wanted to hear, but it could be an expensive mistake.

bloobird Dec 4th 2012 3:17 pm

Thanks all for the advice! prob not ehat i wanted to hear but good to have an honest answer regarding time frames! i have medicals, police reports ect..
I am currently filling in the paperwork I downloaded and have one more question- Section E- Partners family details. My boyfriend is maori and obviously he is born and raised kiwi- do i need to full in all details of his mum,dad and siblings ect- or is this question for those wanting to get a residents visa and bring theie non-kiwi partners over as well?? getting a bit confused!!!