Partner Residency or Work Visa?

Old Oct 23rd 2012, 9:48 pm
Just Joined

Clairelf is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Partner Residency or Work Visa?

Hi, I am a UK citizen and have recently moved to NZ to live with my partner a NZ citizen. I am currently on a 1 year working holiday visa. I have secured skilled full time employment and now looking at options to extend my visa.
We have been together since 2010 and have travelled between UK and NZ frequently during this time however have only lived together since I moved here in June 2012. We have joint bank accounts and credit cards as well as other evidence of our genuine and stable relationship dating back to 2010 (Photos, Phone Bills, Family Emails, Holiday Flight Confirmations etc)
We are both in our mid-late 30's and are fully intergrated with each others lives & families and commited to a future together.
As we have not lived together for 12 months we are unsure if to apply straight for Partner residency with the above evidence or apply for a new work visa under the Family/Partner Stream to then meet the 12 month living together criteria for Residency.
We want to get it right so any advice would be greatly received
Thanks

Last edited by Clairelf; Oct 23rd 2012 at 10:40 pm.
Old Oct 24th 2012, 6:59 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Partner Residency or Work Visa?

I think if you can prove that the relationship has been ongoing for some years with joint financial responsibilities that you would be fine. when does your current visa run out as you need to bear in mind that another application for PR does take some months to work through even if you are here and working. We found our local immigration office here very helpful in answering any questions we had.