Partner Problems!

Old Jun 16th 2011, 7:07 am
Just Joined

Cathstar is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Partner Problems!

Hi all

Thanks for your comments on a previous post in the introduction section. This is the latest update and I have a few new questions now...

Me and my boyfriend are applying for working holiday visas this weekend, planning to spend at least a year (under UK passport allowances - possibly more) in NZ. In addition, we are pretty sure that if we like it we are going to want to emigrate there.

So, the question really relates to my partner. As a qualified teacher with around 2 years teaching experience, I should be able to think about applying as a skilled migrant for permanent residency. (Regarding this, will I have to return back to the UK to apply for residency at the end of my working holiday visa?)

My boyfriend would not class as a skilled migrant worker. He is qualified with a foundation degree in business studies (2 year degree) and has a lot of call centre and customer service experience, but with a poor job market in our local area, has been unable to find much else. So, would he be able to apply for residency if he 'tags onto' my application? This could be as a 'de facto' relationship I'm guessing? We have been together for 7 and a half years but only lived in a permanent residence together for 10 months of those. We have lived with parents in between that....sad times.

I just don't want to be faced with the prospect of loving it out there, wanting to stay, just to find out that my partner can't stay with me. Solutions, advice and feedback all duly welcome
Old Jun 16th 2011, 9:19 am
~^_^~

shelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Partner Problems!

I would have thought that if you are planning on living together for the 12 months (or more) that you're in NZ, then he would be able to 'tag onto' your SMC visa application.

When we applied we just had to prove that we had been living together for 12 months, so it seems like you'd be covered.
Old Jun 16th 2011, 2:28 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Dunfermline, Scotland soon to be North Shore Auckland
Lejamez has a brilliant futureLejamez has a brilliant futureLejamez has a brilliant futureLejamez has a brilliant futureLejamez has a brilliant futureLejamez has a brilliant futureLejamez has a brilliant futureLejamez has a brilliant future

Hi,

If I remember rightly you just have to prove that your are in a committed relationship so if you have a joint bank account, joint council tax letter copies of them should be enough - I would check on the amount of time you need to be together - just send an email to immigration as they are always quick with a clear response. Should think a year would be enough but then you'd have 2 years by the time your applying. The docs should be as old as you can get them and also maybe 3 months old showing your still committed.

Regarding if you have to return to UK to apply I'm not sure but getting police certificates and medicals might be problematic. Again a quick email to immigration would clear this up. Also you'd need to make sure you had all the necessary docs with you when you were on the working visa (birth certificates, degree proof inc transcripts, references etc) Medicals only last 3months, Police certificates 6.

Good luck
Laura
Old Jun 16th 2011, 3:15 pm
Just Joined

Cathstar is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Lejamez
- I would check on the amount of time you need to be together - just send an email to immigration as they are always quick with a clear response. a
Thanks for your response, Laura. By an email to immigration, are we talking about the contact email on http://www.immigration.govt.nz/ ? I couldn't find an email contact address on here. Am I looking in the right place? Thanks again, Annie
Old Jun 16th 2011, 4:27 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Dunfermline, Scotland soon to be North Shore Auckland
Lejamez has a brilliant futureLejamez has a brilliant futureLejamez has a brilliant futureLejamez has a brilliant futureLejamez has a brilliant futureLejamez has a brilliant futureLejamez has a brilliant futureLejamez has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Cathstar
Thanks for your response, Laura. By an email to immigration, are we talking about the contact email on http://www.immigration.govt.nz/ ? I couldn't find an email contact address on here. Am I looking in the right place? Thanks again, Annie
Yes that would be correct until you get a case worker thats the best one..
X
Old Jun 17th 2011, 11:16 am
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

If you want your boyfriend to apply for residency on the back of your skilled migrant application then you have to be in a genuine and committed relationship. You have to have lived together for the last 12 months or more and be able to prove this for him to be the non principal candidate on your EOI. It looks like it would be better for you both to fulfill the 12m living together period when you apply. Obviously proving that you have been together for all those years despite not living together is extra proof that the relationship is long standing.
Short answer sorry, I'm off to bed as I'm working tomorrow morning...
Old Jul 18th 2011, 1:36 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Proof of Partnership

Quote:
Evidence of partnership

Evidence of partnership may be provided by:
  • marriage certificate (if married)
  • civil union certificate (if in a civil union)
  • proof of shared residence (such as joint mortgage or tenancy agreements of rent book)
  • financial dependence or interdependence (proof of shared income or bank accounts, or accounts that show money transfers to or from your account to your partner’s account)
  • birth certificates of your children
  • any documents showing public or family recognition of your relationship
  • correspondence (including post marked envelopes) to you and your partner at the same address
  • photographs of you and your partner together
  • evidence of the duration of your relationship
  • the degree of commitment to a shared life
  • evidence of communication between you both
  • evidence of you being committed to each other emotionally and exclusively, such as evidence of joint decision making, an exclusive sexual relationship, and the sharing of household duties, parental responsibility, and spare time.
We may verify any documents you provide.
Please note: If you have been living apart from your partner for any significant period during your relationship, you must also provide evidence of the length of any periods of separation, the reasons for them, and how your relationship was maintained during these periods.