Partner going on a temporary visa

Old Apr 13th 2013, 11:37 am
Forum Regular

tiger mama has much to be proud oftiger mama has much to be proud oftiger mama has much to be proud oftiger mama has much to be proud oftiger mama has much to be proud oftiger mama has much to be proud oftiger mama has much to be proud oftiger mama has much to be proud oftiger mama has much to be proud oftiger mama has much to be proud oftiger mama has much to be proud of
Default Partner going on a temporary visa

Hi everyone. Okay we have an interview lined up for my partner for a number of roles in NZ and we're hopeful that it might be successful. If it is, we will have to apply for PR alongside a temporary work visa to enable him to go out sooner. Obviously my children and I would not be able to go out on his temp visa.

We have discussed me staying behind with the children and following when the PR visa has been processed but we've established we can't do it for a number of reasons. Firstly we have three very young children and it would be too much for them to be away from their father for this long. (I also don't think I could cope on a plane alone with them all lol!). But also we just cannot afford to maintain the rent on our UK home for us to live in and fund my OH's existence in NZ alongside it.

So now looking into visa options that will enable us all to go over with him. Firstly would they allow us to go over on a 6 month visitor visa or would they see evidence of the fact that we weren't planning on returning and block us from doing so?

If that's not possible, would he be eligible to support me on a partners visa as a temporary resident himself? If so do you have any details about the costs of this as I can't seem to find them, and if it was possible would it also cover our children or would we need to apply for separate visas for them too (and if so, which ones?)?

Sorry for so many questions. Excited and apprehensive at the moment!
Old Apr 13th 2013, 11:02 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Partner going on a temporary visa

My husband was over here on a Temp Work visa and myself and the children stayed in UK to sell the house and finish school at Christmas. He came back to fetch us and have one last Christmas and we all flew back in the January.
Our PR had not been approved so it was very risky, our house had not sold so that was left empty.
Myself and the children came over on visitors visa's with a return flight for the 6mths. but that was fine for us as we decided we would go for a visit in the June anyway as it was my eldest 21st and he was not coming with us. I stopped paying the mortgage before we came over, stating that my husband had left me and I could not afford it, well he had he had flown off to NZ, they didn't know I intended to join him.
We were lucky that our PR approval took just over the 3mths and we got written confirmation that we had been approved just before the kids needed to start school. the school gave us 2wks grace on fees on seeing the approval. We transferred the ITA from London office to Wellington Office for the visa's to be stuck in.

I think if your partner has a temp work visa you can obtain one as well off the back of it.
"If your partner holds a work visa for more than six months we may grant you a work visa for the same length of time your partner is allowed to work in New Zealand."

taken from:http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...milystream.htm
Old Apr 14th 2013, 7:26 am
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Just apply alongside his temp visa, if he is successful and you have evidence of partnership etc then you will get an open (ie not restricted by employer) temp work visa for the same period. If appropriate appky for student visas for the children, all at the same time in the same appkcation envelope, they will be processed at the same time as his.
Old Apr 14th 2013, 9:03 am
BE Enthusiast

moonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by simonsi
Just apply alongside his temp visa, if he is successful and you have evidence of partnership etc then you will get an open (ie not restricted by employer) temp work visa for the same period. If appropriate appky for student visas for the children, all at the same time in the same appkcation envelope, they will be processed at the same time as his.
We are doing this at the moment, hubby is applying for a WTR VISA, he has all his documents relating to his job offer and birth cert etc, I am applying for a partnership visa (don't forget for hubby to fill out a INZ 1146 form for partners supporting partnership visas, we nearly did ) including photos, documents, wedding & birth cert showing we have been together for 18 yrs then a student visa for both the boys, inc their birth certs.
Send them all in together.
Any probs just shout
Old Apr 14th 2013, 4:01 pm
Forum Regular

tiger mama has much to be proud oftiger mama has much to be proud oftiger mama has much to be proud oftiger mama has much to be proud oftiger mama has much to be proud oftiger mama has much to be proud oftiger mama has much to be proud oftiger mama has much to be proud oftiger mama has much to be proud oftiger mama has much to be proud oftiger mama has much to be proud of

Thank you some helpful insights!

When you say an open temporary work visa not restricted by employer does this mean I won't need to get a job offer to secure this? And if I got this type of visa and I didn't get a job out there would it matter? (I am self employed part time at home but I'm not sure how long it'd take me to get set up in reality). Is there a webpage with any info on about this?

Is the partnership visa the same thing that you apply for if you have a Kiwi hubby?

And so with a visitors visa would I need to show evidence of having booked a return flight?

*scratches head*

Also - my OH has 2 level 7/8 qualifications. One is a BSc (Hons) degree from Birmingham University - am I right in thinking this is exempt from needing NZQA accreditation? In which case is there any need for him to have his other qualification (it is a postgrad qualification but would be considered equivalent to degree level) assessed by NZQA for the purpose of the SM application?
Old Apr 14th 2013, 4:02 pm
Forum Regular

Also if I got either an open temp work visa or a partnership visa would I need additional visas for the kids? (I know I'd need a student one for the one in school but what about the younger ones?)
Old Apr 14th 2013, 6:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

moonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by tiger mama
Thank you some helpful insights!

When you say an open temporary work visa not restricted by employer does this mean I won't need to get a job offer to secure this? And if I got this type of visa and I didn't get a job out there would it matter? (I am self employed part time at home but I'm not sure how long it'd take me to get set up in reality). Is there a webpage with any info on about this?
Yes your right, you will not need to get a job offer for a open temporary work visa.
I don't intend to get a job for a while, so it doesn't matter but later on I will be able to work legally.

Sorry cant answer your other questions
Old Apr 14th 2013, 11:47 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

When you say an open temporary work visa not restricted by employer does this mean I won't need to get a job offer to secure this?
No job offer required.

And if I got this type of visa and I didn't get a job out there would it matter?
Wouldn't matter, having a work visa entitles you to work but doesn't make it compulsory providing you can meet your living costs.