British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   Partner Application (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/partner-application-530928/)

traceyandchris Apr 21st 2008 8:52 am

Partner Application

Hi,
My partner is a locksmith and is hopefully applying for a work to residence visa (long term skills shortage). Can anyone offer me any advice around what visa i will need to apply for as his partner. I intend to work. Thanks:thumbsup:

newkiwi Apr 21st 2008 4:38 pm

Re: Partner Application

Originally Posted by traceyandchris (Post 6241421)
Hi,
My partner is a locksmith and is hopefully applying for a work to residence visa (long term skills shortage). Can anyone offer me any advice around what visa i will need to apply for as his partner. I intend to work. Thanks:thumbsup:

You apply for a work permit as the partner of a Nz work Permit Holder. You fill in your own application form, under the family stream, but you should send both applications off together. You will also need to do your medicals and police clearances.

If your partner's application is successful, you get a permit issued for the same length of time as the your partner's. Your workpermit will be an open workpermit, meaning you can work in any industry and for any employer.

traceyandchris Apr 21st 2008 9:17 pm

Thanks for that info :thumbup:

newkiwi Apr 22nd 2008 9:31 am

Originally Posted by traceyandchris (Post 6244908)
Thanks for that info :thumbup:

Oh, and you will need to prove your a bona fide couple, so make sure you get as much evidence of that as possible (living at the same address, joint bank accounts, pics of the two of you together on holidays, stat declarations from family and friends knowing you as a couple, that sort of thing...)

traceyandchris Apr 22nd 2008 2:10 pm

Thanks for the info - has worried me slightly though! I have lived with my partner for over 4 years now but the paperwork for the house (mortgage / bills etc) is all in his name only! We dont have a joint bank account either! I can provide my bank account statements and other documents that will show the same address as his and prove that I have been living there for some years! Will this be enough do you think?

newkiwi Apr 22nd 2008 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by traceyandchris (Post 6248287)
Thanks for the info - has worried me slightly though! I have lived with my partner for over 4 years now but the paperwork for the house (mortgage / bills etc) is all in his name only! We dont have a joint bank account either! I can provide my bank account statements and other documents that will show the same address as his and prove that I have been living there for some years! Will this be enough do you think?

bank statements and other docs going back more than a year (or 2?) showing the same address for him and you should be ok. wouldnt hurt getting wills drawn up and naming each other as beneficiaries either. Photos etc of the two of you together (smiling and all couply) would be good too.

It should be fine, just put yourself in the case officer's shoes, what would you need to see to prove two people you have never met are really the couple they claim to be.

traceyandchris Apr 22nd 2008 4:46 pm

Thanks for that! I will start to hunt out all those lovely holiday snaps!:thumbsup: