Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ)
Reload this Page >

Parent Visa anybody out there been successful?

Parent Visa anybody out there been successful?

Old May 26th 2007, 5:06 pm
Forum Regular

Paula2007 has much to be proud ofPaula2007 has much to be proud ofPaula2007 has much to be proud ofPaula2007 has much to be proud ofPaula2007 has much to be proud ofPaula2007 has much to be proud ofPaula2007 has much to be proud ofPaula2007 has much to be proud ofPaula2007 has much to be proud ofPaula2007 has much to be proud ofPaula2007 has much to be proud of
Question Parent Visa anybody out there been successful?

Hi everyone

My husband and I are in our very early 60's and are hoping to apply for Parent Visa in March 2009. Is there anyone living in New Zealand who has been through this process and how long did it take from their next of kin sponsoring them to actually landing in Auckland? Our daughter has been offered a job there now so both our children will be living the other side of the world in the most beautiful country we have ever been to. So we will have 100% of our next of kin living there and our first granddaughter whom we have never seen. 2009 cannot come soon enough for us.

Last edited by Paula2007; May 26th 2007 at 5:07 pm. Reason: spelling mistake
Old May 26th 2007, 11:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

jennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Parent Visa anybody out there been successful?

Originally Posted by Paula2007
Hi everyone

My husband and I are in our very early 60's and are hoping to apply for Parent Visa in March 2009. Is there anyone living in New Zealand who has been through this process and how long did it take from their next of kin sponsoring them to actually landing in Auckland? Our daughter has been offered a job there now so both our children will be living the other side of the world in the most beautiful country we have ever been to. So we will have 100% of our next of kin living there and our first granddaughter whom we have never seen. 2009 cannot come soon enough for us.
Paula,
at last someone in our age range going through what we're going through.
Eldest son went out there 2002 work visa. settled, started family(Kiwi partner) 2004.still on work visa. Applied for PR Oct 2004 (Granted in Principle March 2005) needed passport for return to UK with family May 2005. Put it into Immigration on return- July 2005. Blue stickers affixed August 2005.
Youngest son went for holiday- loved it- went back after redundancy- has no intention of returning to UK. Loves it.
Eldest son CANNOT sponsor us until Aug 2008. Have to have medical no sooner than May 2008, Police checks no sooner than Feb 2008, and cannot submit any forms before the date in Aug that he was granted residency. THEN it can take up to 6 + months for our BLUE stickers to come through!
We're in the process of selling one house.(where son's lived prior to leaving)
I'm awaiting corrective surgery for a botched op I had in 2005!
Hopefully I'll be fighting fit by the time we have medicals- but the bottom line is the 'sponsor' has to have been a resident/citizen of NZ for 3 years before they can sponsor you. I presume your other child has been out there longer than your daughter, who has been recently offered a job. In which case you should have no problem. They sponsor you after their three year anniversary (PR) then approx 6 months later you'll be playing on the beach with your grandchildren, and not suffering the tearful goodbyes we go through every year as we return to the UK.
Keep positive.
Keep busy researching everything.
It keeps them close, fills the space and is good for the soul!
Jennie
PS
How's your attic.
Ours is still full of their stuff.
A nest is not empty until all their stuff is out of the attic!
Old May 28th 2007, 10:53 am
Forum Regular

Paula2007 has much to be proud ofPaula2007 has much to be proud ofPaula2007 has much to be proud ofPaula2007 has much to be proud ofPaula2007 has much to be proud ofPaula2007 has much to be proud ofPaula2007 has much to be proud ofPaula2007 has much to be proud ofPaula2007 has much to be proud ofPaula2007 has much to be proud ofPaula2007 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Parent Visa anybody out there been successful?

Originally Posted by jennifer45
Paula,
at last someone in our age range going through what we're going through.
Eldest son went out there 2002 work visa. settled, started family(Kiwi partner) 2004.still on work visa. Applied for PR Oct 2004 (Granted in Principle March 2005) needed passport for return to UK with family May 2005. Put it into Immigration on return- July 2005. Blue stickers affixed August 2005.
Youngest son went for holiday- loved it- went back after redundancy- has no intention of returning to UK. Loves it.
Eldest son CANNOT sponsor us until Aug 2008. Have to have medical no sooner than May 2008, Police checks no sooner than Feb 2008, and cannot submit any forms before the date in Aug that he was granted residency. THEN it can take up to 6 + months for our BLUE stickers to come through!
We're in the process of selling one house.(where son's lived prior to leaving)
I'm awaiting corrective surgery for a botched op I had in 2005!
Hopefully I'll be fighting fit by the time we have medicals- but the bottom line is the 'sponsor' has to have been a resident/citizen of NZ for 3 years before they can sponsor you. I presume your other child has been out there longer than your daughter, who has been recently offered a job. In which case you should have no problem. They sponsor you after their three year anniversary (PR) then approx 6 months later you'll be playing on the beach with your grandchildren, and not suffering the tearful goodbyes we go through every year as we return to the UK.
Keep positive.
Keep busy researching everything.
It keeps them close, fills the space and is good for the soul!
Jennie
PS
How's your attic.
Ours is still full of their stuff.
A nest is not empty until all their stuff is out of the attic!
Hi Jennifer
So pleased to recieve a reply from someone. You have made me feel so much better and yes our loft is full of their possessions - I think we will need a container when we eventually go!!. Our son will have been a resident for 3 years in March 2009. I thought he could not send in his sponsorship forms until March 2009 and then we would eventually hear from immigration as to whether he has been successful and then we started our police checks and medicals but you seem to be saying that you can have your medicals done up to 3 months' before he sends the sponsor forms off? What is a Blue Sticker?

As there is a quota system in operation for a Parent Visa I assume that if the quota is full for 2009 when we apply we will have to wait until 2010 or 2011. Do you know if the quota for this type of visa gets full every year. When is the best time to send the sponsor forms in? Or do you think my son should just send them immediately he has been a resident for 3 years in NZ?

Hope your op goes ok. We are just hoping that we both keep fit and healthy and don't develop anything too drastic while we are waiting for what seems to us like an age. You kind words at the bottom of your reply certainly cheered us up. There is hope on the horizon for us to be with our children and granddaughter.