British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   Parent sponsorship visa - entry and re-entry requirements for PR ? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/parent-sponsorship-visa-entry-re-entry-requirements-pr-739280/)

Tribesman Nov 18th 2011 4:12 am

Parent sponsorship visa - entry and re-entry requirements for PR ?

Circumstances have changed since i applied for residency. My wife and i got sponsorship from our Son. Now we cannot sell our house . (Living in West of Ireland)Which we were depending on for cash. I retire and will have pension which is fairly good in Jan. 2014. We are going to NZ in Feb. next year to visit our son/wife/grandson/ for 23 days which will active our visa's. My question is this:::
If i activate visa on Feb.2012. and return home again after 23 days, and enter NZ again before Feb.2014 before visa expires. What would be our situation then. Can we still get permanent residency or is there a time limit on how long again before we can leave NZ again.
It would be our only hope now because of house sale. If someone could answer this it would be great, i think i saw something similar on site before a long while ago.

Tribesman Nov 20th 2011 6:42 am

Re: Visa Question

Originally Posted by Tribesman (Post 9739844)
Circumstances have changed since i applied for residency. My wife and i got sponsorship from our Son. Now we cannot sell our house . (Living in West of Ireland)Which we were depending on for cash. I retire and will have pension which is fairly good in Jan. 2014. We are going to NZ in Feb. next year to visit our son/wife/grandson/ for 23 days which will active our visa's. My question is this:::
If i activate visa on Feb.2012. and return home again after 23 days, and enter NZ again before Feb.2014 before visa expires. What would be our situation then. Can we still get permanent residency or is there a time limit on how long again before we can leave NZ again.
It would be our only hope now because of house sale. If someone could answer this it would be great, i think i saw something similar on site before a long while ago.

I think there is something about an 18 month stay and cannot leave (Family Parent Policy) Not very clear Drat::;; that immigration rules cannot understand terminology ???????:frown:

MrsFychan Nov 20th 2011 7:56 am

I couldn't find clarification either may be worth a call to NZ House.

use this number 01245 454448 and you won't pay the £1per minute charge, it does put you through to the vm that states the charge but as you do not connect direct you don't get charged that amount.

Tribesman Nov 20th 2011 10:23 am

Originally Posted by MrsFychan (Post 9743625)
I couldn't find clarification either may be worth a call to NZ House.

use this number 01245 454448 and you won't pay the £1per minute charge, it does put you through to the vm that states the charge but as you do not connect direct you don't get charged that amount.

Will hang on for now, and hopefully someone will come up with an answer. This is a very good forum:

Babykayleigh Nov 20th 2011 8:06 pm

Have a look at http://www.immigration.govt.nz/ this is a really good website and will see the updated information for all visas as things do change at times, but you have to be resident in the country for a set period for them to be validated... I hope this helps... Good luck... We are in the process of looking at our options to return to the UK we have been here nearly 8 years and are waying up what is next in our chapter of our lives, we have 2 kids 10 and 12yrs old and feel that we need to reassess our lives....

Tribesman Nov 21st 2011 5:59 pm

Originally Posted by Babykayleigh (Post 9744443)
Have a look at http://www.immigration.govt.nz/ this is a really good website and will see the updated information for all visas as things do change at times, but you have to be resident in the country for a set period for them to be validated... I hope this helps... Good luck... We are in the process of looking at our options to return to the UK we have been here nearly 8 years and are waying up what is next in our chapter of our lives, we have 2 kids 10 and 12yrs old and feel that we need to reassess our lives....

I have searched immigration site and found some stuff, but still cannot understand what it means. Its beyond my intelligence to understand. Wish i was born a solicitor. :::::

Babykayleigh Nov 22nd 2011 4:58 pm

What type of visa have they issued to you?

If it's a multiple entry Visa then you can enter NZ as many times as you like but it's valid from the DATE of first entry into the country, but you can come and go as you please but there will be an expiry date and this may be classified as a temporary visa not a permanent.... This type of Visa is only valid for 18 months and therefore you have to leave NZ for 12 months and re-apply for another visa... I doubt it's this one I guess it's more than likely to be the following one....

If they have issued you with a Family Parent Category then you obtain a residence class visa (allowing you to stay in New Zealand indefinitely) which again means it's the DATE of entry into the country on the first visit in which it starts from and you can come and go on this and a reentry date may be issued into your passport each time you reenter NZ, this affects if you want to apply for a citizenship for NZ as it'll be from the LAST date of entry into NZ not the first date of entry.... Also does it say the word indefinite or just permanent resident or what on the visa as this is the indication to the type of visa you hold.... I think that's still the case of them doing it from the reentry date...

At the moment to apply for Citzenship you have to have been living in the country for 5 years it was previous to April 2005 for 3 years but they've changed that....

BEVS Nov 22nd 2011 10:06 pm

HHmm. I'll have a dig around and get back to you.

This is my way of not forgetting this thread is here.

I'm also tweaking your thread title to reflect the issue better

BEVS Nov 22nd 2011 10:40 pm

Re: Parent sponsorship visa - entry and re-entry requirements ?

From NZIS

What are the requirements for an applicant who was granted a resident visa under Parent Category to qualify for a permanent resident visa?

A person granted a resident visa under the Parent Category, who applied after 29 November 2010, will need to wait for the five-year anniversary of their first day as a resident in New Zealand before they can apply for a permanent resident visa. The eligibility criteria for a permanent resident visa are detailed at RV2 in the Manual.
Just digging around......

when did you apply?

simonmarkellis Nov 23rd 2011 2:05 am

With a multiple entry visa, you can come an go to your hearts content as long as your overall stay within NZ does not exceed 18 months within the 3 years the visa is valid from your first visit which activates your visa. You don't need outward flights neither. So if you arrive in Feb 2012, the visa will be valid for 3 years and expire in Feb 2015 and within that timeframe you can stay upto 18 months. If in that time period you are granted permanent residency, then fantastic the one will superceed the other...

Tribesman Nov 23rd 2011 6:43 am

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 9748947)
HHmm. I'll have a dig around and get back to you.

This is my way of not forgetting this thread is here.

I'm also tweaking your thread title to reflect the issue better

Family parent policyWe are activating our visa end of Feb.2012 by visiting our Son/Wife/Grandchild , visiting for 3 weeks and returning home again.
Circumstances have changed big time since we applied for sponsorship 2 years ago. Now we cannot sell our property and we were counting on some of house sale money to finance us until i retired in Jan.2014. My question is if i were to be in NZ again Jan.2014 just before end of 2 years on visa what would be the situation, could we stay in NZ. In the meantime we would also be making more visits to our Son of 3 or 4 weeks at a time.

BEVS Nov 25th 2011 3:46 am

I was rather hoping someone would be able to answer this from experience.

As you know, with other residence visas one needs to spend 184 days for each of 2 years to fit the criteria to become permanent residents.

Even though this is Immy stuff, I'll move this to the main forum for you for a while & see if anyone picks it up.

Persephone Nov 28th 2011 8:10 pm

Re: Parent sponsorship visa - entry and re-entry requirements for PR ?

Does the Family Parent Category work the same as other residence visas with regards to travel conditions?

IF it does:
Then you should be able to enter NZ just before your 2 year travel conditions expire. The problem you will have is that you will not be eligible for a Permanent Resident Visa as you've not spent enough time in NZ.

Requirements for a 12-month variation of travel conditions
You qualify for 12 months of travel conditions if you entered New Zealand as a resident at least one year before the date your current application for a variation of travel conditions is made, and either of the following
situations applies to you.
1. You have spent enough time in New Zealand
To meet this requirement, you must have been in
New Zealand as a resident for a total of 184 days or
more in at least one of the two 12-month portions of the
24 months immediately before lodging your variation of
travel conditions application.
You would not be eligible for this either at the time of entry. It may be that you can apply once you've been in NZ for >184 days and get 12m travel conditions but I do not know for certain [ie do 12months have to elapse before it can be issued?]. Without travel conditions you cannot leave and re enter NZ as a resident.
However, your resident visa does not expire if you remain in NZ even if your travel conditions do - that part of the visa only expires if you leave NZ without travel conditions in place.
And that is assuming the rules are the same for your Residence visa.

May be best to contact NZIS and confirm with them where you will stand on the travel conditions issue- may mean not leaving NZ until you are eligible to apply.

Not sure how helpful all this is:unsure:

BEVS Nov 28th 2011 8:53 pm

It is confusing Persephone . I do think that one needs to be in NZ for 184 days a year as that is a requirement to be eligible for PR. If they don't do that though would they be eligible for another resident visa or not when the current one expires.

Also I'm also not sure how long Tribesman must go before being eligible for PR. It seem that the current rules state 5 years?

Actually Tribesman. What does your blue stickers state in your UK passport. What is the expiry of the visa?

Persephone Nov 28th 2011 9:15 pm

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 9758777)
It is confusing Persephone . I do think that one needs to be in NZ for 184 days a year as that is a requirement to be eligible for PR. If they don't do that though would they be eligible for another resident visa or not when the current one expires.

Also I'm also not sure how long Tribesman must go before being eligible for PR. It seem that the current rules state 5 years?

Actually Tribesman. What does your blue stickers state in your UK passport. What is the expiry of the visa?

Yes, I was certain that he would not be eligible for a PRV but was not sure as to when he could apply for further travel conditions [as that would be the only way he could leave and re enter NZ as a resident]. Your quote said 5 years for a PRV so I was just wondering/querying outloud as to what happens in the meantime as this would make the conditions different to other residence visas... Tribesman said that his visa would expire in Feb 2014 which would be 2y after activating it so I think he must have travel conditions for 2 years. Hopefully he'll be on to tell us. There must be something in place for the next 3 years or are they not expected to leave NZ at all:eek:

Confusing, definitely think a call to NZIS is in order:)