Parent sponsorship

Old Feb 14th 2011, 8:29 pm
Just Joined

Marrisa is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Parent sponsorship

Hi everyone

I have never written on a forum before, not sure why I am now - suppose I am looking for someone who may be in a similar situation as me?

We have been in NZ for 4 years now, had our residency for just over 3 years. The moment our 3 years passed we put in our sponsorship forms to get my parents over here with us to live. Its always been the plan and I don't think I could have ever made this move knowing I may never see them again.

Typically getting our residency took longer than we hoped, then by the time we finally got past our 3 years Immigration NZ changed the rules and due to letting in too many people in previous years they have now capped the entries, meaning we now have a further 18-24 months wait for anyone to even look at our application. Its already been the longest 4 years ever without them.

My daughter is now 7 and the guilt I feel from them missing out on her life is really getting to me. They would like to visit but they are saving their money to make their (eventual) NZ move more successful.

It makes me so sad that they are ready to move, ready to retire, have money that they can bring to contribute to NZ and come live in peace here not wanting anything from NZ other than a quiet life and I cannot get it for them. Life is passing us by and I am so fed up.

Is anyone out there in the same position? Does anyone have any advice? I have spoken to Imm NZ and 3 different independent advisers, yet it seems there are no loopholes. If anyone out there is going through this please drop me a line, I need to know I am not alone in this process.

Marrisa
<wee snip>

Last edited by BEVS; Feb 14th 2011 at 8:38 pm. Reason: You may link to your personal blog in your signature.
Old Feb 14th 2011, 8:43 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: Parent sponsorship

Hi there and welcome to this cosy little NZ forum.

There are several people on here who have sponsored parents to come to NZ or who are the parents themselves.

It's no comfort I know, but as far as I am aware it has always been a long drawn out process, taking around 18/24 months once eligible to sponsor or be sponsored. Chin up. At least you are on the road to a lovely reunion now.
Old Feb 14th 2011, 9:00 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

No shortcuts but of course they can spend 6mths of every year here as a visitor in the meantime. If they came here for the UK winter months I bet the airfares would be mostly offset by not having to pay UK heating bills...just a thought...
Old Feb 14th 2011, 9:06 pm
Just Joined

Hi Simonsi

You are right and this is something we have discussed, but they have jobs and a house which they cant give up until they move here, and they cant get more than the standard holidays each year. Its such a painful situation.

Marrisa
Old Feb 14th 2011, 9:14 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

I agree. It must be heart wrenching for you all. My lovely old Dad could never have travelled here & I hated being so far apart from him . My husband's Mum will not travel so we must always find the funds to make UK visits . So near and yet so far eh?

Hopefully the people I mentioned will be along later on . They have the first hand knowledge of this and have gone through it themselves. It helps to know you are not the only one out there.
Old Feb 14th 2011, 9:26 pm
Just Joined

It does BEVS. I think I have just found this whole process so long and such hardwork. Making the decision, the move, setting up, being successful. We are very very happy here and do not want to return to the UK but with being an only child and having only my parents left in my family I am finding it hard. My husband has a massive family spread out around the world so he doesnt feel the pull like me. I guess I am just finding the 'waiting' hard, especially the questions my daughter asks about her family. I just wish someone in Immigration would know what this feels like...
Old Feb 14th 2011, 10:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

jennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Marrisa
It does BEVS. I think I have just found this whole process so long and such hardwork. Making the decision, the move, setting up, being successful. We are very very happy here and do not want to return to the UK but with being an only child and having only my parents left in my family I am finding it hard. My husband has a massive family spread out around the world so he doesnt feel the pull like me. I guess I am just finding the 'waiting' hard, especially the questions my daughter asks about her family. I just wish someone in Immigration would know what this feels like...
Hi Marrissa.
I really do feel for you. We had an awful long wait but being retired we were fortunate to be able to get to NZ every UK wintertime but the journey took it's toll on our health. Then there were the medicals once our application had been lodged, then the numerous glitches. It was a case of hang in there. My sons were able to return a couple of times and my eldest brought my grandson twice which was lovely but it was still difficult in the beginning.
Then we found Skype.
It was wonderful.
We had big family get togethers. Both sides would walk around with laptops showing the other end things being discussed[gardens/snow/weather]. As for me and my grandchildren, I got to play board games with them (obviously someone shook the dice or turned the card or moved the domino for me.)
The best was reading them bedtime stories [Duplicate story books both ends!]
It is hard because nothing compares to a hug or a goodnight kiss, but it will happen- Hang in there!
Think of the awesome party you'll have when they get here.
J
Old Feb 14th 2011, 11:41 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

jennifer45 - you have got to write a book! Might I suggest "101 things to do on Skype" We had xmas present opening on Skype and use it all the time but you´ve given me some great ideas too.

Marrissa, yes with ties their end it will be difficult, we are starting out on that particular 5yr journey.....what I would say is that this forum helps a lot, even if it can´t make a difference to the situation so stay around....
Old Feb 15th 2011, 2:10 am
BE Forum Addict

simonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond repute

Have you had a look at the Grand Parent Multiple entry visa? It allows you to stay for upto 18mths in a three year period in three month bursts.

We've got my Mums main papers in last October and were told 18-24 mths till decision heard. Research and comms with other expats has lead me to believe that 18-24ths is by and large the extreme to gaining residency through sponsorship and alot of cases are heard and decisions made within 12-18 mths.

So we've this january also put in for the multiple entry visa so my mum will be coming over this june/july time. She stay for three consecutive tours of 6 months with if required a short trip to Oz and back to re stamp the visa. She's allowed to have one way tickets and does not need to sort out onward travel from NZ till nearer to her first six month expiry. Bit of a gamble but the exptectation is that her main application will be heard whilst she is already over here.

If you go this route and your parents medicals and stuff are all current, immigration will gladly cross reference them as they did for my mum. the application itself only costs 65 quid and takes about 3-4 weeks to process...

Might be something to consider...
Old Feb 15th 2011, 4:46 pm
Forum Regular

Tribesman is just really niceTribesman is just really niceTribesman is just really niceTribesman is just really niceTribesman is just really niceTribesman is just really niceTribesman is just really niceTribesman is just really nice

I have been waiting now for sixteen months. Applied to London branch. Hav'ent heard anything yet. My Son sponsored my wife and I.
Old Feb 15th 2011, 7:25 pm
Just Joined

berdorian is just really niceberdorian is just really niceberdorian is just really niceberdorian is just really niceberdorian is just really niceberdorian is just really niceberdorian is just really niceberdorian is just really nice
Smile Re: Parent sponsorship

Hi, You are not alone in your concern about the length of time for Immigration to process Parent applications. It is a long wait but it will be worth it when your family is reunited.
Skype certainly makes communication easier and we have found it great for keeping in touch.
We applied for the Parent Policy PR Visa in Feb 2010 and the letter we received acknowledging our application suggested that we might be eligible for a visitor's visa under Parent & Grandparent Multiple Entry visa Policy.
Having looked up the details we are going to apply for the Parent Multi Entry Visa whilst the PR Visa is being processed and hope to be in NZ by end of July.
We know we may have to leave NZ at least once before we have PR but at least we will be nearer our only family.

Would this be an option for your parents?

We have found this forum helpful with members willing to share experiences. I am sure you will find the same.
Old Feb 15th 2011, 8:10 pm
Just Joined

Thank you all so much for your replies, to hear all the different scenarios is wonderful and your support appreciated.

We Skype at least 2 or 3 times a week, special moments such as birthdays and xmas are done over Skype - possibly the best free invention ever!!

My parents are dubious about giving up their jobs and home based on the fact they might get residency approved. There are no indications why they wouldn't as medicals are clear, and they meet the criteria (as do we). But they will not come here and take the 18 month visa 'just in case'. They also are reluctant to spend any more money travelling over again when the possible outcome of this all might be just around the corner, and the money they spend on flights and being here (which we know is a lot) could be spent on setting up their future.

We are really stuck at the moment. My guilt is awful, my daughter asks non stop why she cant see them and tells me how much she misses them. Finding an answer for a 7 year old to understand as to why we have done this is hard. I feel guilt for my parents, who have no other children and this will be their only grandchild ever, and they are missing out on her growing up.

I sometimes just feel that we have achieved SO much, and we have everything to be proud and grateful for, but there is a link missing, a place in our hearts that we don't want to miss anymore, and I honestly feel its not fair.

I would love to hear more scenarios from you all so please keep your comments coming.

Thank you again

Marrisa
Old Feb 15th 2011, 8:33 pm
It is what it is Member

Very difficult.

If you don't mind me asking are they both going to work once here or is the plan to retire at the same time? If they need to work then they could consider a phased approach with one coming out first, getting established etc, raises other problems I'm sure but just another idea to consider.

Assume they wouldn't have enough points in their own right under SMC???
Old Feb 15th 2011, 8:36 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by simonsi
Very difficult.

If you don't mind me asking are they both going to work once here or is the plan to retire at the same time? If they need to work then they could consider a phased approach with one coming out first, getting established etc, raises other problems I'm sure but just another idea to consider.

Assume they wouldn't have enough points in their own right under SMC???
Hi

No they intend to just come and retire. My Dad is 60 and working, but my mam is 55 and working part time and doing volunteer work. They are too old to be granted any time of working visas. They would never come separate either so it really is just a case of needing the 'yes', packing up and moving here.
Old Feb 16th 2011, 8:33 am
BE Enthusiast

jennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Marrisa
Hi

No they intend to just come and retire. My Dad is 60 and working, but my mam is 55 and working part time and doing volunteer work. They are too old to be granted any time of working visas. They would never come separate either so it really is just a case of needing the 'yes', packing up and moving here.
Another thing for them to consider i the time frame for settling affairs in UK once PR is granted.
If they have property to sell I think it may be prudent to get it on the market now!
If they are fortunate enough to find a buyer ready to meet their asking price with no delays other than those created by the UK legal systemThey could move into unfurnished rental accommodation , whilst they wait for their 'blue stickers'.
Forward planning/selling/giving enables them to carry on working but also means they are ready to go!
Selling our house in the UK added to our stress and added another 8 months to our wait and a 50K reduction in price asked.{NO-Not over valued- but they knew we were emigrating and had flights booked!}

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.