British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   Parent category advice needed please? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/parent-category-advice-needed-please-774334/)

Ryan sok Oct 11th 2012 12:25 pm

Parent category advice needed please?

Hello everyone, I am new here. So please be patient with me. :)

My brother and I would like to support our dad to come to New Zealand. I got some questions that need your advice under tier one for parent category. here is a quote from Immigration Website:

Applicants under tier one must meet one of the following criteria.
Sponsor’s income
Guaranteed lifetime minimum income
Settlement funds.

My first question is that my dad needs to meet any one of these requirements is it correct? I talked to some consultants and they seem to give me different explanations.

Second question, in my country we do not have pension policy but my dad has been earning more than 30000 NZD per annum. Can this be considered Guaranteed lifetime minimum income? What kind evidence do I need to provide to the immigration to prove this?

Thanks for your advice.

simonsi Oct 11th 2012 6:17 pm

Re: Parent category advice needed please?

Hi and welcome!

To your first question, its generally sound to follow what NZIS actually states rather than what "advisors" say if they conflict. So, NZIS state: "Applicants under tier one must meet one of the following criteria."

So meeting one of the conditions is sufficient. Your advisor may be trying to explain he thinks it may be easier/faster/simpler if your father meets more than one but that is a separate issue.

To your second question, no that is not "guaranteed minimum income", they are looking for that income to come from unearned sources such as pensions, investments, property etc, not simply your father's employment history as that income may not be replaced from within NZ and will come to an end when he stops working, so no guarantee there....

Ryan sok Oct 11th 2012 7:43 pm

Originally Posted by simonsi (Post 10326101)
Hi and welcome!

To your first question, its generally sound to follow what NZIS actually states rather than what "advisors" say if they conflict. So, NZIS state: "Applicants under tier one must meet one of the following criteria."

So meeting one of the conditions is sufficient. Your advisor may be trying to explain he thinks it may be easier/faster/simpler if your father meets more than one but that is a separate issue.

To your second question, no that is not "guaranteed minimum income", they are looking for that income to come from unearned sources such as pensions, investments, property etc, not simply your father's employment history as that income may not be replaced from within NZ and will come to an end when he stops working, so no guarantee there....

Hello simonsi. Thanks for the reply. Yes I think so too about the first question. Regarding the second question, you mentioned a very important point. My dad actually earns his income from his rented property in my home country. Can this be considered guaranteed minimum income? What do you think?

Regards;

simonsi Oct 11th 2012 8:59 pm

You would need to ask NZIS.

Ryan sok Oct 11th 2012 9:06 pm

Yes, I once asked them about this. The suggestion at that time is that I submit my dad's application first and they will decide whether it can be considered as lifetime minimum income. I don't think it is the right way cause it takes time and a lot of resources to submit EOI. :(

I will try to call again later today and see if I can get any other information.

wendy_woo Oct 14th 2012 3:18 pm

The lifetime minimum income has to be guaranteed so I can only see this as coming from Pensions or annuities as investments and property income are dependant upon the markets or interest rates and the properties need a paying tenant, not necessarily guaranteed? Maybe if your Dad has properties it would be better to use these assets to go in under "settlement funds" rather than income? just a thought?

Originally Posted by Ryan sok (Post 10326337)
Yes, I once asked them about this. The suggestion at that time is that I submit my dad's application first and they will decide whether it can be considered as lifetime minimum income. I don't think it is the right way cause it takes time and a lot of resources to submit EOI. :(

I will try to call again later today and see if I can get any other information.

BEVS Oct 14th 2012 7:59 pm

Regarding the second question, you mentioned a very important point. My dad actually earns his income from his rented property in my home country. Can this be considered guaranteed minimum income? What do you think?
I think no.

Rent from a property is not a guaranteed income .

Read HERE

Guaranteed lifetime minimum income

What do you mean by guaranteed lifetime minimum income? Is there a minimum threshold that you must receive the income for?

Guaranteed lifetime minimum income is stable income that you will receive indefinitely for the rest of your life. For example, a government pension.
What evidence do I need to provide to demonstrate that my pension meets the guaranteed lifetime minimum income requirements?

You will need to provide confirmation from your respective home government that the pension you receive meets the guaranteed lifetime minimum annual income requirement of NZ$27,203. If your partner is also included in your application, confirmation of a joint guaranteed lifetime minimum income of at least NZ$39,890 per annum is required. Note that the pension must be paid indefinitely.

Ryan sok Oct 14th 2012 8:33 pm

Thank you Wendy_Woo and BEVS. The settlement fund is also an option but it is just too risky because my dad has to sell his houses to get that amount of money. He said all he wants is the ability for him to travel to NZ without going through the long process of visa application again and again. FYI, a visitor visa application from my country can take up to 6 months before it is approved.

I checked with immigration officers and they said I need to provide evidences about how the property is managed and how payment to my dad will be done.

What do you think? Can the rent be used as guaranteed minimum income? I know whatever answers I get here will be just opinions. But just want to get a feeling if it is worth it to apply.

Regards;

wendy_woo Oct 14th 2012 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by Ryan sok (Post 10330724)
Thank you Wendy_Woo and BEVS. The settlement fund is also an option but it is just too risky because my dad has to sell his houses to get that amount of money. He said all he wants is the ability for him to travel to NZ without going through the long process of visa application again and again. FYI, a visitor visa application from my country can take up to 6 months before it is approved.

I checked with immigration officers and they said I need to provide evidences about how the property is managed and how payment to my dad will be done.

What do you think? Can the rent be used as guaranteed minimum income? I know whatever answers I get here will be just opinions. But just want to get a feeling if it is worth it to apply.

Regards;

I think you should get your Dad to put the evidence together and then see yourself if you think it shows a stable guaranteed income amount, if you are still not sure send it to Immigration New Zealand and ask them to give you a judgement - I have found them very helpful - good luck!

BEVS Oct 14th 2012 10:12 pm

For the purposes of the Parent Category, a ‘guaranteed lifetime minimum income’ is an annual income that is paid to a person indefinitely to at least the level required to be granted residence under tier one of the Parent Category (see F4.30.5). Income can only be considered ‘indefinite’ if it will continue to be paid to a person indefinitely once they become a New Zealand resident and citizen.
The issue would be to prove it will be indefinite.

I will be interested to read the answer and outcome of this. Could be extremely helpful to others.

Ryan sok Oct 15th 2012 10:38 pm

Originally Posted by wendy_woo (Post 10330759)
I think you should get your Dad to put the evidence together and then see yourself if you think it shows a stable guaranteed income amount, if you are still not sure send it to Immigration New Zealand and ask them to give you a judgement - I have found them very helpful - good luck!

Wendy_woo, you have submit your EOI for parent category. Which way are going for if you dont mind me asking? 65000$ a year, minimum income or settlement fund?

Thanks for the replies. Will come back and share my experience of what is going to happen.

Cheers.