British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   Overseas Pharmacist in NZ (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/overseas-pharmacist-nz-882824/)

mslyn Sep 4th 2016 6:09 pm

Overseas Pharmacist in NZ

Hello,

I'm a pharmacist registered in Malaysia. I just submitted Step 1 initial registration to PCNZ. Based on the leaflet provided, I need to sit for KAPS exam & attend the law & ethics course before I can proceed with internship
I'm curious would it be possible for me to go to NZ first & apply as Pharmacy technician (which is equivalent to Pharmacy Graduate) before I take the exam?
How's the chance like to secure a job in NZ now?

Thanks! :)

MrsFychan Sep 4th 2016 8:03 pm

Re: Overseas Pharmacist in NZ

Hi and welcome to BE. You would need the relevant qualification or at least 5 years provable experience to uplift a visa

mslyn Sep 4th 2016 8:08 pm

Hi.i've been working for 6 years :)
My concern is the time. i wonder if i cud start off as pharmacy technician in NZ first rather than waiting until everything's complete before i enrol for EVOLVE program

MrsFychan Sep 4th 2016 8:15 pm

your only option would be to get a job offer from an accredited company as you would only qualify under the List of Skilled Occupation and not the Immediate Skills list as for that you require NZ qualifications and can only work in Auckland or Wellington. not sure about the EVOLVE program, maybe contact your nearest Immigration office

BEVS Sep 4th 2016 9:59 pm

Originally Posted by mslyn (Post 12043599)
Hi.i've been working for 6 years :)
My concern is the time. i wonder if i cud start off as pharmacy technician in NZ first rather than waiting until everything's complete before i enrol for EVOLVE program

I can't answer that .

I suppose it depends on the pharmacy in question & whether they are in fact allowed to take on an overseas qualified pharmacist prior to internship.

I'll have a dig around in a bit as I think we've had this before.

mslyn Sep 25th 2016 1:20 pm

I have received an official letter from PCNZ. I can start working in NZ as a pharmacy graduate/pharmacy technician trainee. Anyone here has contacts of the pharmacy which I can start working with?
:)

shelloid Oct 1st 2016 9:02 pm

Hi BEVS...just to let you know, I still lurk occasionally and am happy to answer pharmacy related questions if I can.

I have received a PM from mslyn and will try to help with any info I can.

BEVS Oct 1st 2016 11:24 pm

Originally Posted by shelloid (Post 12066308)
Hi BEVS...just to let you know, I still lurk occasionally and am happy to answer pharmacy related questions if I can.

I have received a PM from mslyn and will try to help with any info I can.

Shelloid :wub:

Lovely to see you & that's very kind.

shelloid Oct 2nd 2016 3:03 am

no probs!! And thanks :)