Over 45

Old Feb 12th 2010, 10:29 am
Forum Regular

ukjoiner will become famous soon enough
Default Over 45

Hi

Could I please get a little advice for my father please?

He is 62, mum 61 and they absolutely love NZ. They have spent around 7 weeks out there over two holidays and really say it is where they would like to live and eventually retire.

My dad is a very active man. He has worked for the Railway for over 30 years, is a Mechanical Engineer, has an MBA in Business, is a part-time lecturer and now also a consultant for Network Rail. He has a lot to offer NZ but has sort of given up on even thinking about realising his dreams as he thinks he is too old.

Therefore, pesky daughter (me) has been researching a little for him. I "think" he has until he is 65 (not long left). I also think he has two options, 1 being to take a business as an investor and 2 being able to put a large amount of money in the NZ banks for 4 years (also as an investor). Thats in a nutshell.

Can anyone else, maybe who is going at a later age help me to really clarify his options.

I would love to see them go out there, they have fallen in love with the place and say it looks like it has been painted as it is so beautiful. Okay, plus I might get a holiday once in a while.......

Many thanks - Jenny
Old Feb 12th 2010, 3:31 pm
Forum Regular

Default Re: Over 45

Originally Posted by ukjoiner
Hi

Could I please get a little advice for my father please?

He is 62, mum 61 and they absolutely love NZ. They have spent around 7 weeks out there over two holidays and really say it is where they would like to live and eventually retire.

My dad is a very active man. He has worked for the Railway for over 30 years, is a Mechanical Engineer, has an MBA in Business, is a part-time lecturer and now also a consultant for Network Rail. He has a lot to offer NZ but has sort of given up on even thinking about realising his dreams as he thinks he is too old.

Therefore, pesky daughter (me) has been researching a little for him. I "think" he has until he is 65 (not long left). I also think he has two options, 1 being to take a business as an investor and 2 being able to put a large amount of money in the NZ banks for 4 years (also as an investor). Thats in a nutshell.

Can anyone else, maybe who is going at a later age help me to really clarify his options.

I would love to see them go out there, they have fallen in love with the place and say it looks like it has been painted as it is so beautiful. Okay, plus I might get a holiday once in a while.......

Many thanks - Jenny
sorry, just bumping up.
Old Feb 12th 2010, 9:01 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

As far as I can see you have covered it, although someone else may know more.

Investor 2 category link - seem to need two and a half million NZD

Originally Posted by NZIS
Investor (Investor 2 Category) requirements

All applicants – you and your partner and dependent children (if applicable) – must meet our health, character and English language requirements (see below). You – the principal applicant – must also have at least three years' business experience. The other requirements are set out below.

You (the principal applicant) must be aged 65 or younger.

Investment and settlement funds and/or assets

You must nominate funds and/or assets equivalent to at least NZ$1.5 million for investment funds, and NZ$1 million for settlement funds. You will need to be able to provide evidence showing that your investment and settlement funds and/or assets are owned by you or jointly by you and your partner and/or dependent children. You will also need to be able to provide evidence showing that your intended investment funds:
  • are unencumbered, ie not subject to any mortgage, lien, charge and/or encumbrance (whether equitable or otherwise) or any other creditor claims
  • have been earned or acquired legally
  • are transferable through the banking system (we will not be able to approve your application if you are unable to transfer funds to New Zealand through the banking system).
You will need to be able to provide verifiable documents to show that the funds you transfer to New Zealand came from the funds and/or assets that you nominate. You will need to place your investment funds in an acceptable investment(s) in New Zealand.
.....and of course the Long Term Business Visa. I can't see an age limit for this policy.
Old Feb 13th 2010, 3:09 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Bevs, thats what I read. Seems if my dad drags his feet about it he will lose out quite soon. Oh well, no NZ holidays just yet!
Cheers
Old Feb 14th 2010, 7:43 pm
`

Does he have the funds for the investment policy? It might be quicker than the faffing for a LTBV which appears to be very involved.
Old Feb 15th 2010, 6:54 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BEVS
Does he have the funds for the investment policy? It might be quicker than the faffing for a LTBV which appears to be very involved.
When you say the LTBV, what does that stand for Bevs. Sorry, I am useless with abreviations.
Old Feb 15th 2010, 8:29 pm
`

Sorry.

Long Term Business Visa.
Old Jan 28th 2011, 4:13 am
`

Hi there Chch4me.

If you look you will see that this thread is very nearly a year old.

The OP has not come back to the thread and , from memory, were themselves looking to Australia.