British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   our Citizenship update (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/our-citizenship-update-910904/)

Celticknight Mar 26th 2018 2:56 am

our Citizenship update
 
Hi All,

Citizenship has been approved. Awaiting date for Ceremony now.

Ian.

mikemike Mar 26th 2018 4:26 am

Re: our Citizenship update
 
If you are a resident what benefit do you get by having citizenship? As far as I can tell if you hold a NZ passport you are restricted on how many days you can be out of NZ unless you go to Australia. If you are an approved resident you have to be there for a minimum of 44 days? per year and free to travel where you like for the rest of that time. Tier 1 investors seem to arrange this and enjoy freedom of movement.

Timmy Chch Mar 26th 2018 6:22 am

Re: our Citizenship update
 
Yeah nah!

escapedtonz Mar 26th 2018 7:49 am

Re: our Citizenship update
 
I'm really torn whether or not we should go for citizenship. We've had PR for the past 4 years so expect we are pretty safe to stay like this for the rest of our time here however long that may be. For us, citizenship will cost around $1500 when we've added the cost of passports etc.

Is it worth it ? - for the moment I'm not convinced.

MrsFychan Mar 26th 2018 9:29 am

Re: our Citizenship update
 
we got ours as the plan was always to get it as soon as we could, also means if any of the rules change for PR visas it won't affect us

simonsi Mar 26th 2018 8:58 pm

Re: our Citizenship update
 

Originally Posted by mikemike (Post 12469935)
As far as I can tell if you hold a NZ passport you are restricted on how many days you can be out of NZ unless you go to Australia.

That sounds odd, do you have a link to that info?

MrsFychan Mar 27th 2018 3:11 am

Re: our Citizenship update
 

Originally Posted by mikemike (Post 12469935)
If you are a resident what benefit do you get by having citizenship? As far as I can tell if you hold a NZ passport you are restricted on how many days you can be out of NZ unless you go to Australia. If you are an approved resident you have to be there for a minimum of 44 days? per year and free to travel where you like for the rest of that time. Tier 1 investors seem to arrange this and enjoy freedom of movement.


Originally Posted by simonsi (Post 12470590)
That sounds odd, do you have a link to that info?


Yeh Nah, you are restricted on a RV visa which has travel conditions, if you are on this visa you will not have a NZ Passport. Travel conditions can be removed if you met the criteria after 2 years.
I cannot imagine any circumstance where having a NZ Passport - which you can only get if you are a Citizenship, would restrict your travel.

escapedtonz Mar 27th 2018 3:17 am

Re: our Citizenship update
 
Nope.

A person is restricted on travel when holding a Resident Visa (RV) once the 2 year travel condition expires.

To solve this issue the most favourable course of action is PR as this visa does not have any travel conditions or restrictions......much the same as citizenship.

So again I see no reason why I should pay $1500 for the privilege of holding an NZ passport. I see no benefit.
Since I have PR, it is highly unlikely Immigration will back track on the rules and regulations that were agreed at the time I was approved for PR. The visa conditions may change going forward but those changes wouldn't be back dated.

Clappy Mar 27th 2018 6:30 am

Re: our Citizenship update
 

Originally Posted by escapedtonz (Post 12469978)
I'm really torn whether or not we should go for citizenship. We've had PR for the past 4 years so expect we are pretty safe to stay like this for the rest of our time here however long that may be. For us, citizenship will cost around $1500 when we've added the cost of passports etc.

Is it worth it ? - for the moment I'm not convinced.

I have dual New Zealand and British citizenship now.

On a day-to-day basis there is no difference to my life having NZ Citizenship above NZ Permanent Residence.

I don't trust governments not to change the rules to my disadvantage when it suits them and immigration is one of those 'issues' that crop up in politics around the world regularly so I wanted to eliminate the risk (Mrs Clappy took the same approach when she lived in Britain - she was born in NZ so both us are now dual-citizens of both countries).

Vitalstatistix Mar 27th 2018 10:34 am

Re: our Citizenship update
 

Originally Posted by Celticknight (Post 12469904)
Hi All,

Citizenship has been approved. Awaiting date for Ceremony now.

Ian.

Excellent news. Start practicing your singing;)

TommyLuck Apr 5th 2018 1:35 am

Re: our Citizenship update
 

Originally Posted by Clappy (Post 12470827)
I have dual New Zealand and British citizenship now.

On a day-to-day basis there is no difference to my life having NZ Citizenship above NZ Permanent Residence.

I don't trust governments not to change the rules to my disadvantage when it suits them and immigration is one of those 'issues' that crop up in politics around the world regularly so I wanted to eliminate the risk (Mrs Clappy took the same approach when she lived in Britain - she was born in NZ so both us are now dual-citizens of both countries).

This ☝🏼

There are any number of situations that could mean that you’re left a bit stuck, most of them dont bear thinking about because they might relate to breakdowns in relationships and death. Or are out of ones control because the government decides.

I’ve applied for citizenship and am now waiting to hear the result of that application.

In my circumstance my wife and child are already dual nationals (UK + NZ) and I’m just here on PR.

If life decides to blindside me in unforeseeable ways one Tuesday afternoon, I figure that having citizenship and a passport safeguards me for the rest of my life from any additional complications. A bit like insurance!! 😁

It’s a bit cynical perhaps, but the goalposts might move at any time and it usually isn’t in your favour as an immigrant.

Clappy Apr 6th 2018 5:53 am

Re: our Citizenship update
 

Originally Posted by Clappy (Post 12470827)
I have dual New Zealand and British citizenship now.

On a day-to-day basis there is no difference to my life having NZ Citizenship above NZ Permanent Residence.

I don't trust governments not to change the rules to my disadvantage when it suits them and immigration is one of those 'issues' that crop up in politics around the world regularly so I wanted to eliminate the risk (Mrs Clappy took the same approach when she lived in Britain - she was born in NZ so both us are now dual-citizens of both countries).


Originally Posted by TommyLuck (Post 12476048)
This ☝🏼

There are any number of situations that could mean that you’re left a bit stuck, most of them dont bear thinking about because they might relate to breakdowns in relationships and death. Or are out of ones control because the government decides.

I’ve applied for citizenship and am now waiting to hear the result of that application.

In my circumstance my wife and child are already dual nationals (UK + NZ) and I’m just here on PR.

If life decides to blindside me in unforeseeable ways one Tuesday afternoon, I figure that having citizenship and a passport safeguards me for the rest of my life from any additional complications. A bit like insurance!! 😁

It’s a bit cynical perhaps, but the goalposts might move at any time and it usually isn’t in your favour as an immigrant.

Neither of us are really taking on-board that 'she'll be right' approach are we?

Maybe we should both be trying harder to integrate :rolleyes:

LittleGreyCat Apr 12th 2018 2:44 pm

Re: our Citizenship update
 
In the future there may be places which will welcome NZ citizens but be less keen on UK (or whatever it morphs into) citizens.

Or perhaps vice versa.

If you can afford it a second passport can be good insurance against the future.

As far as I know the main thing to avoid is to travel outbound on one passport then try to travel back on the other because this can leave various systems confused. If immigration are searching for you because they think you have over stayed your tourist visa they won't be happy if you try to come in again with no evidence of having left.

Also, if you are travelling on an NZ passport you may have to rely on NZ consulate support even though you are also a UK citizen. No biggie, just something to factor in.

TommyLuck Jun 4th 2018 11:21 am

Re: our Citizenship update
 

Originally Posted by Clappy (Post 12476657)
Neither of us are really taking on-board that 'she'll be right' approach are we?

Maybe we should both be trying harder to integrate :rolleyes:

Hahaha!!

To be fair, having a wife who has worked for both DIA and Immigration in recent years has meant I’ve heard a number of stories about people in the ‘she’ll be right’ camp who, well, dont end up ‘right’.

Nothing wrong with eliminating risk!!

To the OP (CelticKinight) are you still awaiting dates or are you in?


All times are GMT. The time now is 5:59 pm.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.