Opinions/Advice please

Old Mar 25th 2010, 10:15 am
Just Joined

debbiegr is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Opinions/Advice please

My partner and I (both 37) and our 2 Kids (aged 4 and 8) are seriously thinking about moving to NZ, preferably Whangarei as partners sister and mum are both living there.
We would love to move there simply for a better more outdoorsy way of life (and better weather) we are living in Ireland at the moment and although we like it here there are NO jobs to found. Partner graduates with Hdip in Education in June (History and English teacher) but has no work expereince other that the Hdip year spent teaching in the mornings. I work in accounts.

My question really is 'how difficult is it to find work?', even if he gets a teaching post as a Level 7 subject holder with a recognised teaching qualification his starting salary would be 45,500.00. From reading other threads I assume that this is nowhere near enough to live on for a family of 4. So is part part work easy enough to come by? I could work whilst the kids are at work...

I know there are no definate answers to these questions, I guess I am just looking for advice. We are already really broke and would have to borrow or use credit to get to NZ in the first place so can't afford to go over and not find work as we wouldnt be able to get home again...

On the up side, his sister has a big place (she rents) and we can all live with her for as long as it takes for us to find our feet.

We dont really have anything to lose as we do not own a home, my partner definately can not get a teaching job in Ireland except maybe some subbing hours and I lost my job a year ago so I am at home with the kids all day.
We are not looking for anthing fancy, just want to work to live a nice life. Is this going to possible?

Thanks
Old Mar 25th 2010, 10:38 am
BE Enthusiast

pricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Opinions/Advice please

Gosh you sound a bit stuck

Now cash....45k goes further outside of the main centres but is not a lot to live on for sure. Northland is not known for it's glut of jobs either so not sure how you'd get on with part time. There are always things like homebased childcare to look into if you're good with, and into other people's kids

My caution would be....don't come broke.
remember that you need to pay for doctors visits here and school stuff so you do need some back up or you will be miserable. Weather is great but it doesn't pay bills.

I can't give much advice on the immigration stuff sadly, I just say try to save as much as you can, any way that you can.
Old Mar 25th 2010, 10:53 am
Just Joined

debbiegr is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Opinions/Advice please

Thanks for you input. You highlighted my main concern really, there is no way we can save as we are not working so will definately be broke going over. Would have about 15K Euro reserve fund but this is a credit facility so obviously has to be paid back I suppose if I am thinking positively then I still have to pay for doctors visits and school stuff here in Ireland so we are going to be in the same financial predicament wherever we are, small plus is that partners sister is a doctor, so she could possibly save us the cost of GP visits..We are stuck, whichever way I look there is a downside inevitably linked to employemnt and money..and I hate to stress about money, I dont need much just enough (like everyone else I expect!). i just don't know what we would do if we went over and then couldnt find any work. Its not that we are unemployable, we both have good experience, its just that OH will be starting off in a new career, so dont know how easy it is to get a foot in the door....

With regards to immigration I think we should be ok, if we apply NOT as a shortage occupation, I have a degree, partner has post grad, both have 10 years work ecp, and family member with PR gives us an extra 5 points, I think this will bring us to 140 points, although our work ecp and degree post grad subjects are not related I think this is ok if we are not claiming any extra points for the skills in demand areas, ie partner has a post grad in an skills shortage occupation nut no work exp, however if he just selcts post grad not in an absolute area of shortage he can claim points for work exp (also not in an area of absolute shortage)...well I hope this is the case anyway