One year in NZ

Old Jul 21st 2008, 8:27 pm
Just Joined

winstonchurchill0 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default One year in NZ

Hi everyone. Just wondered if anyone could help?
I am looking to spend a year in NZ with my family . I am a plumbing and heating engineer with 20 years experience. Firstly can i get a visa within the year? And are these companies that arrange visas worth the money ?

Regards John
Old Jul 22nd 2008, 4:08 am
Forum Regular

Rock Ape has a brilliant futureRock Ape has a brilliant futureRock Ape has a brilliant futureRock Ape has a brilliant futureRock Ape has a brilliant futureRock Ape has a brilliant futureRock Ape has a brilliant futureRock Ape has a brilliant future
Default Re: One year in NZ

Originally Posted by winstonchurchill0 View Post
Hi everyone. Just wondered if anyone could help?
I am looking to spend a year in NZ with my family . I am a plumbing and heating engineer with 20 years experience. Firstly can i get a visa within the year? And are these companies that arrange visas worth the money ?

Regards John
Hi,
I can't answer your first question but I would respond with a degree of certainty and say 'no' to the second. We are in the latter stages of getting out ITA submitted and frankly it is only a case of getting paperwork together which unless you are hopeless at organisation then its actually far easier to do it yourself. There is nothing complicated about the process and I personally have found INZ in London very helpful in answering queries by email plus this forum. I'm sure you can find better things to spend a few thousand pounds on.
Old Jul 22nd 2008, 5:50 am
Forum Regular

turkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of light

I have found the members of this forum a very useful and free immigration agency service!

The forms are a pain but ask away here and i am sure you will crack it no problem
We came here in January with a view to staying a year but are now applying for residency and found the setup costs to be pretty high and the same regardless of whether you are here for a year or more. So yes, spend the agency money on more worthwhile stuff
Old Jul 22nd 2008, 1:50 pm
Just Joined

david009 is an unknown quantity at this point

hi it usually takes 4 weeks for your visa to come through if you have no medical issues.
i would advise you not to go an agent ,go on the nz high commission web site and download forms.
there is me my wife and 2 kids and it cost us £300 for visas ,£670 for medical and £150 for chest x ray. i hope this helps and good luck
dave
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 5:11 am
Just Joined

Thanks everyone for the info. Next stop NZ High Com.
John
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 6:53 am
BE Site Lead & Admin

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute

Hold yer horses neddy. Do you have a job to come to here in New Zealand?

It is an NZ job offer first and then you can apply for a work visa.

The work visa forms are not difficult & everyone here would help if necessary. One each for you and your wife. You would be principle applicant and your wife would apply under 'family'. Your children would complete student visa forms.

To legally work as a plumber and heating engineer in NZ you will need to apply for a PGDB limited licence. PGDB = Plumbing, Gasfitting and Drainlayers board. You cannot do this until you have an NZ job offer as the NZ employer needs to have a fully qualified registered NZ plumber countersign your licence for you. As you would be on a limited licence , your work will need to be directly supervised and signed off by the NZ registered plumber/gasfitter.

Here is a link to the PGDB website. (click the bold type)

When you apply for the one year work visa you will need to include the NZ employers contract of employment which states terms and conditions, the PGDB limited licence & proof of your UK qualifications to do this work. You prove your UK quals by having copies of your trade certificates (C&G) certified by a notary or solicitor.
NZIS may require that your UK quals are assessed by the PGDB to say that they are of the required NZ standard and match the job offer. I'm not sure on this for a work visa at the moment. I know it is required for PR. NZIS can advise on this. A preliminary PGDB assessment is $400 NZD.

With your work visa, you will be tied to the NZ employer for the duration of the visa. If you change employers , then you must notify NZIS & apply for a variation of the work permit.

You can re-apply for another temporary work permit if you wish to remain in NZ after the one year is finished.

NZIS Temporary work in NZ link

Please also note the Health check requirements.

Originally Posted by nzis website
If you intend to stay in New Zealand for more than 12
months, you must complete a Medical and Chest X-ray
Certificate. Children under 11 years of age and pregnant
women are not required to have an X-ray, unless a special
report is needed.

If you intend to be in New Zealand for more than six
months but not longer than 12 months, you may need to
provide a Temporary Entry X-ray Certificate.
With the 2nd paragraph of the quote, this will depend on where you have been living and where you have visited /lived.

You can read further HERE - Health requirements guide

Last thoughts - Please think carefully before spending your money with anyone who says they can get you a job and will do the necessary paperwork.
With a job offer, you and your NZ employer should make sure you are both happy with the terms and conditions. By all means sign up with a bone fide recruitment agency - Wiznton on this site works for one such agency - but steer clear of the all-inclusive agent.

Perhaps visit one of the NZ exposes held in the UK. Jobs can be available there. Look on job sites. Send out CVs .

One other way would be to come on a visitors visa , find a job and then apply for a temporary work permit once here. Boots on ground works wonders with hopeful NZ employers. Plumbers are in shortage here. It's not strictly the ticket to do this, but many do.

Let us know your thoughts.
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 3:28 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Bev.
You seem to know this inside out. Im sure you've had this question a thousand times but is an employer going to wait a year for a plumber?
I'm not strict in getting a job as plumber but more to just live there for a while and work to live. In my naive way i thought as long as i wasn't staying more than a year i may get a visa more easily(mortgage in Blighty and all that).
Reading other threads noone has an easy time of it.

John
Old Jul 29th 2008, 10:28 am
AKT
Forum Regular

AKT will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by winstonchurchill0 View Post
Thanks Bev.
You seem to know this inside out. Im sure you've had this question a thousand times but is an employer going to wait a year for a plumber?
I'm not strict in getting a job as plumber but more to just live there for a while and work to live. In my naive way i thought as long as i wasn't staying more than a year i may get a visa more easily(mortgage in Blighty and all that).
Reading other threads noone has an easy time of it.

John
If you're only staying for a year then work visas in my experience were easy to come by... Mine took a whole 3 days (including posting to and from London) and the other half's took 30 mins at the immigration office in Welly (but that included 15 mins going home to get some of the paperwork she'd forgotten). These are both with job offers in the bag though. If your occupation is in the shortage list then that'll help I would have thought - mine strictly speaking isn't but O/H is.

HTH

Andy