British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   one way or return tickets?? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/one-way-return-tickets-763106/)

4pommes Jun 27th 2012 5:38 pm

one way or return tickets??

I am aware that to travel to NZ on a visitors visa you should have return tickets.
However, if only one way were purchased...do they ever check at immigration, or if they did could you then buy return tickets to satisfy them, at the airport?? We don't intend on coming back at all but need to get work before eoi.

Anyone been asked at the airport for their return tickets??

simonsi Jun 27th 2012 7:14 pm

Re: one way or return tickets??

I wouldnt want to appear to be showing potential overstayer behaviour that early in the process, it may predjudice visas later on.

Buying a one-way ticket for the return journey at the airport may be possible but the airline desks are all the wrong side of immigration and it would probably be the most expensive way possible to buy a ticket....

MrsFychan Jun 27th 2012 7:47 pm

yes they do check on entry if you don't have a visa stamp in your passport, you will need to show evidence of onward journey.

Caz8NZ Jun 28th 2012 12:09 am

Often at check in they won't let you through if you have a one way ticket and only a visitor visa.

If you spend a little more and get a ticket that has flexible conditions you can probably cancel the return portion once you are here and get the majority refunded?

I know that when I was messing around with tickets I had a flexible ticket to fly out to NZ and needed to change the date and fly later. I was better off cancelling my original ticket and paying a 75 quid fee or something and re-booking a new ticket which was cheaper than the first, even taking into account the cancellation fee.

Bear in mind that if you are coming in on a visitor visa and only have a one way ticket they may well want to question what you are doing here, what your plans are etc etc. You are not supposed to be looking for work whilst on a visitor visa

BEVS Jun 28th 2012 1:05 am

Don't do it. Buy the flexible return tickets.

simonsi Jun 28th 2012 2:09 am

Originally Posted by Caz8NZ (Post 10143219)
Often at check in they won't let you through if you have a one way ticket and only a visitor visa.

If you spend a little more and get a ticket that has flexible conditions you can probably cancel the return portion once you are here and get the majority refunded?

I know that when I was messing around with tickets I had a flexible ticket to fly out to NZ and needed to change the date and fly later. I was better off cancelling my original ticket and paying a 75 quid fee or something and re-booking a new ticket which was cheaper than the first, even taking into account the cancellation fee.

Bear in mind that if you are coming in on a visitor visa and only have a one way ticket they may well want to question what you are doing here, what your plans are etc etc. You are not supposed to be looking for work whilst on a visitor visa

Good point, valid visa checks are the carrying airline's responsibility so if you arrive and haven't got the ability to fulfill the visa requirements then repatriation is a no-cost option for NZIS, as BEVS says, don't do it.

Persephone Jun 28th 2012 3:27 am

Another one saying don't do it. You don't actually need a return, only proof that you have a ticket out of NZ. You could buy a refundable ticket to Australia if you think you'll be staying here.

The airline WILL check at check in and you will not get onto the plane unless you buy another ticket. Every time I entered as a visitor I was asked for a ticket showing proof of leaving and have also seen people having to buy a ticket at the last minute in order to get a boarding pass-last time was Jan this year at Sydney whilst in transit.

jjsebba Jun 28th 2012 11:13 am

We've both got 5 year work visas and our 2 year old has a 2 year visitors visa purely because she's only got 2 years left on her current passport. We've all got one way tickets as i will be submitting my EOI in a few months. Issue or not?

simonsi Jun 28th 2012 7:52 pm

Check the visa sticker, does it state "onward travel waived"? If so you don't need a return (or onward) ticket.

Caz8NZ Jun 28th 2012 8:10 pm

Originally Posted by jjsebba (Post 10143904)
We've both got 5 year work visas and our 2 year old has a 2 year visitors visa purely because she's only got 2 years left on her current passport. We've all got one way tickets as i will be submitting my EOI in a few months. Issue or not?

Generally, as far as I know, with work visas you do not need proof of onward travel as they are expecting you to stay for a long time....you can't really book flights more than a year in advance.

My WTR visa states:

Evidence of financial support not required. Return/onward ticket not required.

Would be a bit unreasonable really to expect me to have an onward ticket for expiry of my visa in August 2014! But, as Simonsi says - check what your visa actually says, it should be stated clearly on it.

4pommes Jun 29th 2012 4:11 pm

thanks for the replies guys....guess it's return tickets and hope we don't need them!!

:starsmile:

simonsi Jun 29th 2012 9:01 pm

Remember to claim any taxes back on the return part if you dont use it, even if the ticket is non-refundable the departure taxes etc arent payable by the airline if you dont actually travel so should be refunded to you if paid with the ticket as most are these days.