British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   Older Person Immigration (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/older-person-immigration-494548/)

Elle1971 Nov 17th 2007 11:52 am

Older Person Immigration

Hiya guys. I've had a look through this forum, but it all seems to be applying to people of working age (do correct me if I'm wrong).

Anyway, my mother in law spends 6 months every other year in NZ with her daughter. The insurance costs for this are crippling, as it is £550 for 4 months, and then she has to extend it for another 2. At 73, she certainly isn't going to work. There are no money issues, as she stays with her daughter's family. She won't be wanting to claim any pension from the NZ government, but she would wish to be able to benefit from health care if she had an accident or something.

Hubby and I emigrated to Spain - and understand how it works there, and we suggested that maybe she could apply for some form of residency in New Zealand, and that it may be more financially viable? But obviously we know nothing about your part of the world.

Can anyone please advise whether she would even be considered for this (re: age of 73), and would it be more trouble than it is worth?

Hope someone can help!

Elle xx

Elle1971 Nov 17th 2007 12:28 pm

Re: Older Person Immigration

Hi me again. Not sure if it helps, but hubby says that his dad's lady-friend actually has both of her adult children already living in New Zealand, and maybe that could swing something for her?

Anyway... thanks in advance for any help.

Elle xx

ned Nov 17th 2007 8:57 pm

Have a look here :confused:

Elle1971 Nov 18th 2007 10:15 am

Originally Posted by ned (Post 5567609)
Have a look here :confused:

Ned - that's great. Thanks so much for answering. I've forwarded it to the lady's daughter.:)

Elle xx

Howard1944 Nov 19th 2007 6:39 pm

I would not be allowed to emigrate to NZ, , even though I am a Graduate of several Universities, in good health, have a 7 figure Net Worth, but I am 63.

I am not saying I want to, I just know I would not be allowed in.

I have no intention of working.

Elle1971 Nov 19th 2007 6:46 pm

Hola Howard. Is this because of your age? Or because you are not related to anyone already out there? Or perhaps a different reason?

Thanks

Elle xx

happynz Nov 19th 2007 7:11 pm

Originally Posted by Howard1944 (Post 5575388)
I would not be allowed to emigrate to NZ, , even though I am a Graduate of several Universities, in good health, have a 7 figure Net Worth, but I am 63.

I am not saying I want to, I just know I would not be allowed in.

I have no intention of working.

I was allowed to immigrate to New Zealand even though I am a graduate of a fourth tier university, in good health, have a 3 figure net worth and I am 51.

:lol:

Howard1944 Nov 19th 2007 7:42 pm

Age,

happynz Nov 19th 2007 7:55 pm

^Yeah, I know. ;)

jennifer45 Nov 25th 2007 11:36 pm

Originally Posted by Howard1944 (Post 5575673)
Age,

Can't be age.
Two neighbours arrived in my son's village 4 years ago. The lady was 79 and her husband was 82!
So come on, Howard, why won't NZ let you in?

Howard1944 Nov 26th 2007 11:03 am

jennifer, not sure how they got in unless they had family, but the response i got was that older people may be a drain on the system, needed extra health care etc.

I am a University Grad, several degrees, Retired CEO,High Net Worth, REALLY High when converted to $NZ, Wife, Retired O.R Nurse.

I would get consideration if I agreed to start a business and hire people or if wife would work, neither of which appealed to us.

We have watched several programs on TV, you know ,where the British go house hunting and have come to the conclusion we may visit for a month or so.

We are spending this winter in Florida, checking that out, closer and we can drive there in a day, we'll see how we like that.

jennifer45 Nov 26th 2007 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by Howard1944 (Post 5601489)
jennifer, not sure how they got in unless they had family, but the response i got was that older people may be a drain on the system, needed extra health care etc.

I am a University Grad, several degrees, Retired CEO,High Net Worth, REALLY High when converted to $NZ, Wife, Retired O.R Nurse.

I would get consideration if I agreed to start a business and hire people or if wife would work, neither of which appealed to us.

We have watched several programs on TV, you know ,where the British go house hunting and have come to the conclusion we may visit for a month or so.

We are spending this winter in Florida, checking that out, closer and we can drive there in a day, we'll see how we like that.

Yes they did have family.
It was just when you answered 'Age' that I wasn't sure.
Really the reason is - no family sponsor. If it was age - I would be in the same situation (being born in '44)

If you really want to get into NZ - there's nothing to stop you buying property- using it for so many months of the year then renting it out.
What about buying property -with a view to tourist industry. Lot of jobs created in small hotel/motel. If you don't want hassle of running it and you've got the funds - pay a manager. If I'm not mistaken you only have to run the business a few years.
Hey this has just given me an idea!
Bye-ee