British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   Ok, which removal company do I use? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/ok-removal-company-do-i-use-619832/)

helenlhoppy Jul 13th 2009 10:43 am

Ok, which removal company do I use?

Which one? There's loads.... who can I trust?

RobDon Jul 13th 2009 10:56 am

Re: Ok, which removal company do I use?

We have had John Mason, Robinsons, Allied Pickfords and Crown to give us on site quotes. Crown was £975 more than the other 3 who all came in within £25 of each other. HTH ;)

thedtb Jul 15th 2009 12:23 am

We only got a quote from PSS, but having met them face to face twice in the past (at emigration expos) and discussed matters with them in a great deal of detail before allowing them in to my house to quote, I'm more than comfortable with choosing them and don't feel the need to look elsewhere.

pixi-dust Jul 15th 2009 2:27 am

we got quotes from Crown, Pickfords and someone else I cant remember as it was so long ago! Crown impressed us the most when they came to the house so we went with them. We couldn't fault them on both sides, no problems, no hassles and really great guys did the packing and unpacking. Wouldn't hesitate to use them again.

scrubbedexpat094 Jul 15th 2009 3:25 am

Personally, I wouldn't use PSS again. The UK side was fine but NZ Van Lines were dreadful. The guys just threw our stuff around, didn't want to unpack, lots of stuff damaged & trying to get compensation was difficult. Their guy at head office in Akl never answered his phone or returned calls. They had got our dosh & didn't want to know. We eventually got it sorted out but it was such a hassle. You don't need added stress with immigrating.
So I'd give them the :thumbdown:

teebrown Jul 15th 2009 4:07 am

We used Allied Movers (got a discount through Mov****.com) and they were great, they couldn't fit anymore in the container if they tried, they said 6 weeks from door to door and they were spot on, our furniture was waiting for us when we arrived. Very good, i would recommend them.:)

LiffyB Jul 15th 2009 5:44 am

We have decided to go with Crown as we have had great service from them so far. We asked to be able to pack the container ourselves as everything bar the big stuff is already in shipping boxes, sealed and containing inventory list.

Crown were the only ones that would entertain us packing the container ourselves - the others were 'difficult'. We've moved abroad twice now so packing has become second nature, and as long as we pack on a grid system and the old 'Base -Box - Bits' we should be able to get everything into a 20ft container (not taking sofa's or bed bases to save space). Debbie of Crown's in Welly has been great and now we wait for a visit from them this end about access for and to the container.

LiffyB

Kimi-Deacon Jul 15th 2009 6:18 am

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix (Post 7753412)
Personally, I wouldn't use PSS again. The UK side was fine but NZ Van Lines were dreadful. The guys just threw our stuff around, didn't want to unpack, lots of stuff damaged & trying to get compensation was difficult. Their guy at head office in Akl never answered his phone or returned calls. They had got our dosh & didn't want to know. We eventually got it sorted out but it was such a hassle. You don't need added stress with immigrating.
So I'd give them the :thumbdown:

Couldnt agree more. We used them and thought the UK guys were good the NZ crew were crap.

xxElainexx Jul 15th 2009 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by Kimi-Deacon (Post 7753676)
Couldnt agree more. We used them and thought the UK guys were good the NZ crew were crap.

Hi to you,

Anyone got any ideas of what company we can use that will allow us to fill container ourselves...basically we just want to find the right size container fill it ourselves then get it collected and reverse the process the other end...all help appreciated thanks in advance....

xxElainexx

helenlhoppy Jul 15th 2009 3:49 pm

Thanks so much for all your replies. I'm going to get some different quotes, but will certainly take on board what you have all said!

Thanks again. Helen. ;)

LiffyB Jul 15th 2009 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by xxElainexx (Post 7755086)
Hi to you,

Anyone got any ideas of what company we can use that will allow us to fill container ourselves...basically we just want to find the right size container fill it ourselves then get it collected and reverse the process the other end...all help appreciated thanks in advance....

xxElainexx

Crown were the only ones that would entertain us packing the container ourselves - the others were 'difficult'. We've moved abroad twice now so packing has become second nature, and as long as we pack on a grid system and the old 'Base -Box - Bits' we should be able to get everything into a 20ft container (not taking sofa's or bed bases to save space). Debbie of Crown's in Welly has been great and now we wait for a visit from them this end about access for and to the container.

cappuccino Jul 15th 2009 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by Kimi-Deacon (Post 7753676)

I wish to disagree as I had an excellent experience with PSS both in the UK (Essex) and in NZ (Wellington). As has been pointed out several times in shipping threads on this forum, a company is only as good as the team/crew that is packing and unpacking.

Kimi-Deacon Jul 15th 2009 8:22 pm

Originally Posted by cappuccino (Post 7755351)
I wish to disagree as I had an excellent experience with PSS both in the UK (Essex) and in NZ (Wellington). As has been pointed out several times in shipping threads on this forum, a company is only as good as the team/crew that is packing and unpacking.

For us it wasnt the Packing crew or the unpacking crew, both were excellent, it was the office staff this end that made us pays fees up front, then held our container to ransom if we didnt pay the fees, if this wasnt bad enough they admitted they had overcharged us and had to pay us back at the end.

Now if this had all been done nicely and politely it wouldnt have been so bad but the person in the office dealing with us was rude and aggresive. Just my personal opinion but no way would i use them again, it is stressfull enough emigrating without having to deal with rude and aggressive movers when you get here. To top it off when we rang the office staff in the UK to tell them of our predicament they were not interested, obviously because by then they had our money.

Crown seem to be very good and if what we have been told is true, you dont pay them until they have completely provided the service. Also they seem to have the least amount of compaints on this forum. Good Luck with whoever you choose to use, there is good and bad to be said for all of them and we all have different experiences.

bevissa65 Jul 15th 2009 8:26 pm

Hi, has anyone got things to say about Pickfords or Whites and Co? Think I've gone off PSS now:thumbdown: Bevissa

thedtb Jul 15th 2009 9:31 pm

Originally Posted by bevissa65 (Post 7755812)
Hi, has anyone got things to say about Pickfords or Whites and Co? Think I've gone off PSS now:thumbdown: Bevissa

;) I'm still going to be using PSS regardless... with the best will in the world, for any company whatsoever there's always going to be customer service failings (perceived or otherwise) at some point. They *key* is for these cases to be the exception rather than the norm.

My experience of them (PSS) so far is nothing short of excellent. If we have a bad experience in the long-run, so be it, we'll deal with it, learn from it and move on.

I wonder though... what protection does paying shipping/removal fees etc by Credit Card afford you. E.g. if you pay for an an item or a service by CCard and that item/service doesn't materialise, you can go through a charge-back procedure against the retailer.

If you pay for a shipping/removal service that goes pear shaped, would you have similar rights?