British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   OH NO!!! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/oh-no-743629/)

laticsbird Jan 3rd 2012 2:56 pm

OH NO!!!

Our plans were to get things moving at the start of this year. Now I've discovered that my occupation (Secondary School Teacher -English) is no longer on the shortage list.:unsure: I'm absolutely gutted and don't know what to do now. It makes the move even more daunting because we have two young kids to consider (11 and 8) and we aren't exactly spring chickens ourselves - I'm 46 and hubby is 47.

Do you think we should still take the chance on our dream??
:fingerscrossed::(

4pommes Jan 3rd 2012 3:17 pm

Re: OH NO!!!

They took mine off too (Early Years Teacher) so we are going to have my hons degree converted (when I finish in 2013) and apply anyway while move to NZ and look for work. Will have around 110 points without being on shortage list so when I get work there'll be no probs. We also have children who will be 16 and 14 when we jump...Been planning this for 2 years!

laticsbird Jan 3rd 2012 3:38 pm

I'm just so gutted. We've been planning this for about two years also. I've been building up my experience in school and waiting also for the housing market to pick up a little as we need the money to make the move. It's been our dream now for so long and now, it seems that it's beginning to crumble before we've even got started.

D'you think it's worth taking the chance to find work when we're there? I think my OH will be a bit too apprehensive about not having something 'concrete' to go to.

Thanks for the reply, by the way.:)

4pommes Jan 3rd 2012 5:51 pm

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2.1; en-gb; HTC_Wildfire_A3333 Build/FRG83D) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Do some searches for jobs in your chosen area and age range and keep an eye on job market. I am personally taking the risk but husband is concerned about this method. Unless my job gets added to the shortage list again then this is our only option. We have no house to sell...you have some difficult decisions to make...how much do you really , really want to go...

nero Jan 4th 2012 1:52 am

I have a friend who completed her teacher training here in NZ and has not been in full time employment since completing the course. She is not alone as a number of her fellow students are also in the same boat. Both of you have experience on your side, but the job situation is not as easy as it was say 4-5 years ago.

I have also been unemployed for about 9 months during the 4.5 years that we have been here and it is hard. Especially if you are reliant on that money to make ends meet. I personally would ensure you have a job to come to, others on this site may say otherwise. But I know that without a job it can make the move very hard and if you are not rich and do not have money to burn it can put alot of strain on you, your kids and your partner.

Sorry to be so negative, but better to be warned

scrubbedexpat094 Jan 4th 2012 4:50 am

Originally Posted by nero (Post 9819141)
I have a friend who completed her teacher training here in NZ and has not been in full time employment since completing the course. She is not alone as a number of her fellow students are also in the same boat. Both of you have experience on your side, but the job situation is not as easy as it was say 4-5 years ago.

I have also been unemployed for about 9 months during the 4.5 years that we have been here and it is hard. Especially if you are reliant on that money to make ends meet. I personally would ensure you have a job to come to, others on this site may say otherwise. But I know that without a job it can make the move very hard and if you are not rich and do not have money to burn it can put alot of strain on you, your kids and your partner.

Sorry to be so negative, but better to be warned

Have to agree with this, I'm afraid :thumbdown:

Mrs Pointer Jan 5th 2012 12:50 am

My profession was never on the shortage list and I didn't have a job when I got here. But I had tracked the job market via seek.co.nz for a year so was confident there was work.

I also had a lot of experience and found that was very welcome...although I took a step back and was happy to do so until I find my feet.

I do remember being where you are and reading this forum and fearing the worst, but something will turn up. Someone told me that just as we were about to leave and it's become my mantra...and it always did.

Although I did have a few stressy moments when we didn't have any place to live and the dogs were due to turn up and I was doing interviews for jobs I didn't really want. But it came right.

And once you've made the move, you will feel like you can do anything :p follow the dream!

citybanklondon Apr 20th 2012 7:32 am

Originally Posted by laticsbird (Post 9818145)
I'm just so gutted. We've been planning this for about two years also. I've been building up my experience in school and waiting also for the housing market to pick up a little as we need the money to make the move. It's been our dream now for so long and now, it seems that it's beginning to crumble before we've even got started.

D'you think it's worth taking the chance to find work when we're there? I think my OH will be a bit too apprehensive about not having something 'concrete' to go to.

Thanks for the reply, by the way.:)

Hi Latics Bird: did you have any joy in your attempt to move to NZ? I am in a similar predicament, UK educated, experienced now in Dubai have been granted PR with spouse and 3 kids on skilled migrant basis and expecting to move in June 2013. I want to teach in secondary schools and even happy to work at the infamous south AKL schools as my colleagues tell me jobs are plenty in schools where people do not want to teach. On the ground however things seem different and although I will take enough cash to last us 6-9 months I am keen to know on the ground job situation..... dont want to end up driving a taxi in auckland ! email me on my private email and perhaps we can exchange contacts (I know of a good agency that helps teachers in NZ) my email is <snip>. cheers Habs

DTHarrop Apr 21st 2012 7:22 am

Totally agree with mrs pointers posting.....my husbands profession wasn't on the shortage list, but applied for endless jobs whilst in UK and although we had moments when we thought nothing was going to come of these applications, he got a job offer and we never looked back....

Strong believer in you are the making of your own destiny......and of course the laws of averages......

laticsbird Apr 27th 2012 5:59 pm

Hello everyone again...I've not posted for a while as I've been a bit downhearted at the setback. However, I've decided not to let it get me down any more and just to go ahead with our plans. If we get somewhere then...FABULOUS!!! If not...well, at least we tried:)
I just wanted to say a big thankyou to all who posted a reply and offered advice...
citybanklondon - I've PMd you.
DTHarrop - thanks for your positive comments - incidentally, I have been looking at Whangarei as a possible new home for us - can you offer any advice on houses, costs, schools, community, shops etc....???

Again, many thanks to everyone. xx

j19fmm Apr 27th 2012 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by laticsbird (Post 10028952)
Hello everyone again...I've not posted for a while as I've been a bit downhearted at the setback. However, I've decided not to let it get me down any more and just to go ahead with our plans. If we get somewhere then...FABULOUS!!! If not...well, at least we tried:)
I just wanted to say a big thankyou to all who posted a reply and offered advice...
citybanklondon - I've PMd you.
DTHarrop - thanks for your positive comments - incidentally, I have been looking at Whangarei as a possible new home for us - can you offer any advice on houses, costs, schools, community, shops etc....???

Again, many thanks to everyone. xx

Do you keep an eye on vacancies on www.edgazette.govt.nz/Vacancies/default.aspx

rangioran May 18th 2012 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by Mrs Pointer (Post 9821600)
My profession was never on the shortage list and I didn't have a job when I got here. But I had tracked the job market via seek.co.nz for a year so was confident there was work.

I also had a lot of experience and found that was very welcome...although I took a step back and was happy to do so until I find my feet.

I do remember being where you are and reading this forum and fearing the worst, but something will turn up. Someone told me that just as we were about to leave and it's become my mantra...and it always did.

Although I did have a few stressy moments when we didn't have any place to live and the dogs were due to turn up and I was doing interviews for jobs I didn't really want. But it came right.

And once you've made the move, you will feel like you can do anything :p follow the dream!

Have to agree with Mrs Pointer - my role wasn't one that was listed as a shortage - and I was 53 amd my wife was 51 when we applied. I set up an appointment with an officer at NZ House in Londaon. Took my very carefully completed application form and all supporting documention along with me, and left only when I was completely sure that he was satisfied. My visa came through in just under a week!

Positive attitude is often understated :)

Good luck!

BEVS May 22nd 2012 10:32 am

However, 2001 was a very different time to 2012. In fact 2004 was a very different time.

Things are much harder now Rangiorian both in terms of how visas are issued , work prospects and income.

BEVS May 22nd 2012 10:34 am

I think it would help if those who did well would state what the occupations were and when they were looking.