Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ)
Reload this Page >

OH has job, want him in 3 months. what do we do??

OH has job, want him in 3 months. what do we do??

Old Feb 4th 2012, 5:05 pm
MzB
Just Joined

MzB is an unknown quantity at this point
Default OH has job, want him in 3 months. what do we do??

hey! looking forward to spending some time on here. Usually in teaching forums, and now shifting to NZ ones!!!

OH has just secured a job in Auckland after both of us spent a week out there. They want him in 3 months and have offered help with relocation etc. His is a skilled job and obviously he will be going through all his experience etc as unfortunately, he doesnt have tertiary qualifications.

Now, we are sooooooo confused!! He is in the process of completing and EOI. Does he put my qualifications on there???? Or, do I need to complete one myself???

Keep going round in circles and getting confused - not sure NZ needs my lack of intelligence!

As I primary school teacher, I am well aware it will be a nightmare getting a job but have to give it a go. Have been browsing the Ed gazette and met a teacher over there - one of his bosses wives is a prim teacher and they felt i WOULD BE SNAPPED up. Know this will not be the case. Do i wait for my OH to complete the EOI, or should I gett the wheels in motion for getting my qualifications assessed. Do I do the preliminary assessment or the proper teaching one??

Sorry if this sounds thick, but just all over the place as everything just seems to of happened. I also need to give notice next week to leave for april, but not sure if I can afford to do this. If anyone has some advice Id be eternally greatful and will ply with alcohol when we eventually get over there.

Taa
MzB
Old Feb 4th 2012, 7:04 pm
Forum Regular

pcmay10 is a name known to allpcmay10 is a name known to allpcmay10 is a name known to allpcmay10 is a name known to allpcmay10 is a name known to allpcmay10 is a name known to allpcmay10 is a name known to allpcmay10 is a name known to allpcmay10 is a name known to allpcmay10 is a name known to allpcmay10 is a name known to all
Default Re: OH has job, want him in 3 months. what do we do??

hi,what skill does your OH have? thanks
Old Feb 4th 2012, 7:13 pm
MzB
Just Joined

Technical expertise in the printing industry ........... apparently!!
Old Feb 4th 2012, 8:56 pm
Forum Regular

Foxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud of

Hi MzB

You fill in one form for the both of you. Obviously filling in all information regarding to yourself.

From reading on here, it is never too early to start having qualifications assessed as it can sometimes take a while for you to get your answer.

HTH
Old Feb 4th 2012, 9:47 pm

Catchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond repute

Experience can count towards a residency application, it did with mine and I have no qualifications to speak of.

However, I am not to sure that a residency application can be processed in the timeframe you guys are looking for, 3 months.

You might be better applying for a work permit, it is processed a lot quicker and once you guys are in the country you can then start the residency process.

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...y/howdoiapply/

Good luck!
Old Feb 4th 2012, 10:14 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there,
Sounds like it's all moving very quickly!
Catchafire is right, it is doable but there's not a lot of time. It depends on how quickly residency applications are going through at the moment and whether you have any issues that might slow down the process. London is saying give 4 weeks for a temporary visa. You can apply for a work visa and residency at the same time.

Processing times in London

When you wrote about getting your qualifications assessed, is that for teaching registration or for the extra points on the EOI? If it is for the EOI then have a look at whether you need to get them assessed, here:
http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...rq/default.htm
I don't know anything about teaching quals so can't help other than directing you to that page-you may already have looked of course
The process can get quite confusing when you're in the thick of it so just come on here and ask if there's anything you need help with, someone will know or be able to direct you if they don't.
Good luck
P
Old Feb 5th 2012, 1:21 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by MzB
OH has just secured a job in Auckland after both of us spent a week out there. They want him in 3 months and have offered help with relocation etc. His is a skilled job and obviously he will be going through all his experience etc as unfortunately, he doesnt have tertiary qualifications.

One step at a time. A job offer at the moment is very precious. Keep the employer happy.

Have him apply for a temporary work visa to get him into NZ & working. You would apply for an open work visa under family on the back of his application. It is the same form for each of you. One form for you and one form for him.

He will still need to provide proof that he has the knowledge to do this work. If this occupation isn't one listed as in shortage , then the employer will have to prove there is no NZ resident or citizen that could do that work.
Old Feb 5th 2012, 8:44 am
MzB
Just Joined

Thanks all, when he drags himself out of bed ill get him going. Temp visa sounds like a plan. We will have a look - just kept going round in circles!!!! We have to get ball rolling as otherwise job offer may be taken away!!!

My quals will add on extra points without getting assessed. However, in order for me to teach and get registered I have to get my qualifications assessed and then come out with at least a Level 7?? Think that is correct. Half term coming up so may take a trip to NZ house in London!

Thanks for all support as well, greatly appreciated.

MzB
Old Feb 5th 2012, 9:22 am
Forum Regular

BenP is an unknown quantity at this point

I was in a similar situation, my employer in nz needs me there asap and we thought about the temp work visa then applying for the full residence whilst there but my brother has been in NZ for 2 years now and that is the same path he took..

The drawback being you need to pay for the temp work visa, pay for police certs, medials xrays etc etc then when you decide to go for the residence application you have to redo all of it again.

I suppose it depends what relocation package they offer you etc and how well off you are but i couldnt jusify spending around £2k just to have to redo it all with the next 2 years.
Old Feb 5th 2012, 9:24 am
Forum Regular

also just a side note if you are going for a temp work visa in the short term perhaps leave off doing the eoi just now as i think they only last 6 months.
Old Feb 5th 2012, 9:38 am
MzB
Just Joined

This is so complicated!! We need to get some help me thinks! He so frigging laid back about it! grrrrr!!!!!

Thanks again, MzB
Old Feb 5th 2012, 10:08 am
Forum Regular

The one thing I will say as I have learnt very quickly in this process is that everyone's case is different and requires a different approach, what works for me or someone else could be completely wrong approach for you.

Don't want to confuse you more, you just need to weigh up your options and speak to your partner about what's best, getting there ASAP and starting work or getting there later but then not having to worry about the visa problems coming back up in the future.
Old Feb 5th 2012, 1:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

GoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond repute

We had to move in 2 months so it can be done!
We came over on 30 month work visas and applied for residency once here (well, submitted EOI in UK, then sent ITA to Auckland once here).

Remember you can use the same medical results for both temp work visa and residency, so actually the cost of the temp work visa in itself is negligible.

I would recommend getting the temp work visa to get here, and doing EOI at the same time, then completing ITA once here. Well, that's what we did and it worked for us...
Old Feb 5th 2012, 1:08 pm
Forum Regular

you can use same medicals etc if you apply for both within in 3 months of each other.
Old Feb 5th 2012, 1:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

GoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BenP
you can use same medicals etc if you apply for both within in 3 months of each other.
ITA normally comes back within three months though as you know :-)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.