Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ)
Reload this Page >

Occupation on Immediate Shortage List - NZ

Occupation on Immediate Shortage List - NZ

Old Jan 16th 2007, 4:06 am
Forum Regular

sunny side will become famous soon enough
Default Occupation on Immediate Shortage List - NZ

Hi,

Appreciate some info for the following from questions. I searched website but can't seem to find answers to my questions.

1) What does it mean to be on Shortagelist? Any advantages? Short cuts?
2) Do you get a Work visa without being sponsored - if your occupation is on the shortage list?

Many thanks

Mari
Old Jan 19th 2007, 5:07 am
Forum Regular

beaudixon is a jewel in the roughbeaudixon is a jewel in the roughbeaudixon is a jewel in the roughbeaudixon is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Occupation on Immediate Shortage List - NZ

Originally Posted by sunny side View Post
Hi,

Appreciate some info for the following from questions. I searched website but can't seem to find answers to my questions.

1) What does it mean to be on Shortagelist? Any advantages? Short cuts?
2) Do you get a Work visa without being sponsored - if your occupation is on the shortage list?

Many thanks

Mari
Hi Mari,
all occupation on the immediate shortages list only entitle you to apply for a work visa (usually for the max 3yrs) renewal after 3yrs if occupation still on list.
if occupation on the long term shortages list the you can apply for PR or work visa.
for visa or PR you dont need to be sponsored.
visa is based on having job offer.
PR based on points system gained for job offer and qualications etc.
hope this helps, Judy
Old Jan 19th 2007, 8:25 am
sean n

sean n has a brilliant futuresean n has a brilliant futuresean n has a brilliant futuresean n has a brilliant futuresean n has a brilliant futuresean n has a brilliant futuresean n has a brilliant future
Default Re: Occupation on Immediate Shortage List - NZ

Depending on qualifications you can apply for PR with no job offer if your occupation is on the long term skills shortage list.
I used to be a car mechanic, have quals and work experience (all be it a long time ago).
This gives me enough points to apply for PR (120) without a job offer.
We put in EOI early December, was selected late December and now we are in 'discussions' with NZIS about validity of my quals. They are the City and Guilds 381, uk standard quals so I recon they are just trying to get some more work for the NZQA who charge you to validate your quals!

With no job offer this process will take around 9 months. With a job offer your talking weeks because you jump the queue.
I am told any job offer will do, it doesnt need to be relevant to your quals etc.