British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   NZQA - what if your experience is as a supply teacher? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/nzqa-what-if-your-experience-supply-teacher-482369/)

wilekit Sep 20th 2007 8:17 am

NZQA - what if your experience is as a supply teacher?

Hi guys (or gals, no way of knowing :lol:)

we're set to go out to Auckland in the spring as I've been offered a job with the dept of corrections. My partners a teacher, and he's just trawling through the NZQA stuff last night. As far as getting all his teaching practice certified goes, a lot of his experience has been as a supply teacher, and as a teacher for the VSO in Africa. I don't suppose anyone would know whether just a headed letter from the local authorities he's worked as a supply for, and one from the VSO would suffice? He can't possibly work out how many hours he's worked at individual schools over the past 10 years and get them to sign for them! But if he doesn't, will he have to begin on an untrained salary? Any advice gratefully recieved! :thumbsup:

P2L Sep 20th 2007 11:12 am

Re: NZQA - what if your experience is as a supply teacher?

Originally Posted by wilekit (Post 5332926)
Hi guys (or gals, no way of knowing :lol:)

we're set to go out to Auckland in the spring as I've been offered a job with the dept of corrections. My partners a teacher, and he's just trawling through the NZQA stuff last night. As far as getting all his teaching practice certified goes, a lot of his experience has been as a supply teacher, and as a teacher for the VSO in Africa. I don't suppose anyone would know whether just a headed letter from the local authorities he's worked as a supply for, and one from the VSO would suffice? He can't possibly work out how many hours he's worked at individual schools over the past 10 years and get them to sign for them! But if he doesn't, will he have to begin on an untrained salary? Any advice gratefully recieved! :thumbsup:

Hi Wilekit

Sorry, no experience of the sysytem from a teachers point of view. However, we know a girl that can possibly answer your questions.

Try sending a PM to Wiz n Ton, well the Ton part to be precise. Toni is a teacher in Christchurch and has encountered the whole process.

HTH

wilekit Sep 20th 2007 5:08 pm

Thanks, I'll give it a try :)

backdraftuk Sep 21st 2007 4:24 pm

I was/am in exactly the same position, most of my teaching has been on supply. I got a "to who it may concern" letter from each LEA, along the lines of " worked for x days during the period indicated" and attached my employment record to it. Similar thing for the supply agency work that I had done. It went through NZQA and NZTC without a problem.

Once I was on the NZTC register I put in my EOI (without a job) I was selected straight away but have been waiting 3 months for an ITA.

I still don't know what salary I could be on, as I believe this is can only be sorted once you are working.

wilekit Sep 21st 2007 7:32 pm

Originally Posted by backdraftuk (Post 5338499)
I was/am in exactly the same position, most of my teaching has been on supply. I got a "to who it may concern" letter from each LEA, along the lines of " worked for x days during the period indicated" and attached my employment record to it. Similar thing for the supply agency work that I had done. It went through NZQA and NZTC without a problem.

Once I was on the NZTC register I put in my EOI (without a job) I was selected straight away but have been waiting 3 months for an ITA.

I still don't know what salary I could be on, as I believe this is can only be sorted once you are working.

Ok, cheers BD thats a real relief. Frankly, the thought of trawling through 10 years worth of various supply roles and trying to get evidence from each school would be a nightmare! I think my OH has been thinking along the same lines, so its good to hear from you they were the right ones! I wonder if its just for teachers, or if any other professions have to go through the same convoluted assesment process!