NZQA/PAR question

Old Jul 10th 2010, 9:39 am
Just Joined

Olivesk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default NZQA/PAR question

Hello helpful people

There's some great stuff on this forum that's already answered alot of our questions, but I have a new one...

I'm about to submit my Higher Diploma in Computer Science for a PAR with the NZQA and I'm hoping it will come back as a level 7 qualification. If it does it will mean I have 135 points INCLUDING 15 bonus points for 10 years+ work experience in an area of absolute skill shortage and therefore it should be plain sailing from there

The HD was gained in Ireland which (apart from Hong Kong) is unique in calling post-grad qualifications 'diplomas', I know everywhere else a diploma is something you do BEFORE your degree. It was an intensive 1 year course.

The PAR does ask if I had to take any courses prior to acceptance on the Higher Diploma and I've stated that I did a 3 yr Bachelors in Geography which in itself IS a level 7 except I have no work experience there.

I'm going to submit the PAR as soon as my Uni comes back to confirm my grade point average, but does anyone else have a similar experience? Am I likely to get this recognised as a level 7? Afterall this is a HIGHER qualification (I would have thought)

If it's not then it'll be back to the usual catch 22 of "job before visa, visa before job" before I can submit my EOI
Old Jul 10th 2010, 11:55 am
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NZQA/PAR question

Originally Posted by Olivesk
Afterall this is a HIGHER qualification (I would have thought)
That is what you will have to prove, after all it is self-evident that not all courses people take after they do a degree are "higher" than the degree (ie master, doctorates etc.

A (even intensive) 1 year course in Computer Science doesn't sound like a post-grad level 7+ TBH if the pre-req was a degree in Geography (ie it wasn't building on a previous Comp Science qualification).

I think you will need more than "your thoughts" TBH.

for the NZQA result.
Old Jul 11th 2010, 4:26 am
~^_^~

shelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond repute

Um....the UK has post-grad qualifications called diplomas too.

I have a post-grad diploma in general pharmacy practice which NZQA state is equivalent to level 7. But it really does depend on the course content I guess, so you'll just have to submit it to NZQA to see how they assess it.
Old Jul 16th 2010, 9:44 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by shelloid
Um....the UK has post-grad qualifications called diplomas too.

I have a post-grad diploma in general pharmacy practice which NZQA state is equivalent to level 7. But it really does depend on the course content I guess, so you'll just have to submit it to NZQA to see how they assess it.
PAR in, $130 paid

We'll let you know

Last edited by Olivesk; Jul 16th 2010 at 9:47 am.
Old Jul 17th 2010, 3:55 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Olivesk
PAR in, $130 paid
for you.

We'll let you know
That would be brill. for others that might come along with the same question.

Thanks
Old Jul 20th 2010, 3:49 pm
Just Joined

LEVEL SEVEN !!!

Yee-haw..

Next step EOI, going in tonight