British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   NZQA/PAR question (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/nzqa-par-question-675997/)

Olivesk Jul 10th 2010 9:39 am

NZQA/PAR question

Hello helpful people

There's some great stuff on this forum that's already answered alot of our questions, but I have a new one...

I'm about to submit my Higher Diploma in Computer Science for a PAR with the NZQA and I'm hoping it will come back as a level 7 qualification. If it does it will mean I have 135 points INCLUDING 15 bonus points for 10 years+ work experience in an area of absolute skill shortage and therefore it should be plain sailing from there :fingerscrossed:

The HD was gained in Ireland which (apart from Hong Kong) is unique in calling post-grad qualifications 'diplomas', I know everywhere else a diploma is something you do BEFORE your degree. It was an intensive 1 year course.

The PAR does ask if I had to take any courses prior to acceptance on the Higher Diploma and I've stated that I did a 3 yr Bachelors in Geography which in itself IS a level 7 except I have no work experience there.

I'm going to submit the PAR as soon as my Uni comes back to confirm my grade point average, but does anyone else have a similar experience? Am I likely to get this recognised as a level 7? Afterall this is a HIGHER qualification (I would have thought)

If it's not then it'll be back to the usual catch 22 of "job before visa, visa before job" before I can submit my EOI :ohmy:

simonsi Jul 10th 2010 11:55 am

Re: NZQA/PAR question

Originally Posted by Olivesk (Post 8691017)
Afterall this is a HIGHER qualification (I would have thought)

That is what you will have to prove, after all it is self-evident that not all courses people take after they do a degree are "higher" than the degree (ie master, doctorates etc.

A (even intensive) 1 year course in Computer Science doesn't sound like a post-grad level 7+ TBH if the pre-req was a degree in Geography (ie it wasn't building on a previous Comp Science qualification).

I think you will need more than "your thoughts" TBH.

:fingerscrossed: for the NZQA result.

shelloid Jul 11th 2010 4:26 am

Um....the UK has post-grad qualifications called diplomas too.

I have a post-grad diploma in general pharmacy practice which NZQA state is equivalent to level 7. But it really does depend on the course content I guess, so you'll just have to submit it to NZQA to see how they assess it.

Olivesk Jul 16th 2010 9:44 am

Originally Posted by shelloid (Post 8692771)
Um....the UK has post-grad qualifications called diplomas too.

I have a post-grad diploma in general pharmacy practice which NZQA state is equivalent to level 7. But it really does depend on the course content I guess, so you'll just have to submit it to NZQA to see how they assess it.

PAR in, $130 paid

We'll let you know :fingerscrossed::fingerscrossed:

BEVS Jul 17th 2010 3:55 am

Originally Posted by Olivesk (Post 8705416)
PAR in, $130 paid

:fingerscrossed: for you.

We'll let you know :fingerscrossed::fingerscrossed:
That would be brill. for others that might come along with the same question.

Olivesk Jul 20th 2010 3:49 pm

LEVEL SEVEN !!!

:thumbsup: Yee-haw..

Next step EOI, going in tonight :fingerscrossed: