Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ)
Reload this Page >

NZQA/immigration/job hunt for Brit moving in Jan

NZQA/immigration/job hunt for Brit moving in Jan

Old Mar 27th 2012, 7:46 pm
Just Joined

phi_g is an unknown quantity at this point
Question NZQA/immigration/job hunt for Brit moving in Jan

Hello

I'm moving to NZ in Jan on a working holiday visa.

I've spent the past three-four years working as a journalist and spent a bit of money training too. I don't want to give up the career to spend 12 months doing seasonal work- not that there is anything wrong with that- i want to freelance, do shift work on a publication, cover maternity leavers etc. And if all goes well extend my visa to 23 months during which time i'll look for a longer term job and apply for the essential skills work visa when i have an offer. Is that a legitimate route?

Reading about the New Zealand Qualification Assessment, i'm really confused as to if my qualifications would be recognised there and the assessment is quite expensive. Is it ok to be trained by the national body in the UK and have a degree/diploma from the UK?

And does anybody know of any particularly expat-friendly publications that i can approach? I'm currently a business writer.

Thanks so much in advance.
Old Mar 28th 2012, 8:06 pm
Just Joined

JohnFeeOllieEllie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: NZQA/immigration/job hunt for Brit moving in Jan

Hi Phi_g

Don't know how long you have been watching this forum but there is something you will learn quickly...

You can moan and groan about price of cheese etc (any food stuff can be substituted here), the quality of choice of foods, Moan about the weather, even speek a language that no one uses any more (not Latin) to the people you emigrated to get away from.

But you can't talk about the J.O.B word or get any meaningful feed back on the state of the job market or any pointers towards who is recruiting.

After all most of us need jobs to fund a life style what ever it is.

Sorry for rant but it seems that people on here avoid the issue.

PS I have met a nice south African and his wife was quite pleasent as well.

Hope that this brings you and me both some answers.

Good luck
Old Mar 28th 2012, 10:31 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Eh ? I don't understand your post.

There are plenty of examples where people have tried to point others in the direction of possibly openings if they know of them. I did this myself just last week. Not from my own knowledge but by using google and then linking what I found to here.

When all is said and done, the good folk on here are not professional recruiters or government statisticians working for the Dept of labour. They are ordinary everyday folk. Those that contribute to our wee forum can only do so from their own personal experiences and knowledge. It's essentially a place to chat and hopefully an information exchange along the way.

Most need a job to be able to get a visa. Funding the lifestyle comes after arrival.
As is often stated, job offers can be hard to come by for many occupations these days. Boots on ground is the best way to gain a job offer. NZ employers often needed to be educated that it is a job offer first & then a visa. Nz employers will always look to their own homegrown first before casting their eyes overseas. It;s familiar and easier...... unless the employer pays to become accredited. There again if you;ve been following the chat here, you'll have read all this.

I can see you made one post into Intros a year ago and then nothing else to the main board where most people hang out.

So why the rant
Old Mar 28th 2012, 10:39 pm
`

Originally Posted by phi_g
Hello

I've spent the past three-four years working as a journalist and spent a bit of money training too. I don't want to give up the career to spend 12 months doing seasonal work- not that there is anything wrong with that- i want to freelance, do shift work on a publication, cover maternity leavers etc.
OK

And if all goes well extend my visa to 23 months during which time i'll look for a longer term job and apply for the essential skills work visa when i have an offer. Is that a legitimate route?
If you find a full time job offer AND your qualifications/ work exp match that job AND the employer can prove there is no homegrown person to do that work, then yes, you can go for a temp work permit.

Reading about the New Zealand Qualification Assessment, i'm really confused as to if my qualifications would be recognised there and the assessment is quite expensive. Is it ok to be trained by the national body in the UK and have a degree/diploma from the UK?
Depends on the degree and where you studied. Please browse your way through NZIS Recognised Qualifications & see if you can find your qually . come back with details of the degree if you can't . If it's on the list then you won't need an NZQA assessment

And does anybody know of any particularly expat-friendly publications that i can approach? I'm currently a business writer.
You may want to start a new topic/thread for this and make the title reflective of the question.

Normally, anything to do with visas etc gets moved to Immy forum but as this is a bit of a mixed bag, I'll leave it here on the main forum for now.
Old Mar 29th 2012, 9:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JohnFeeOllieEllie
Hi Phi_g

Don't know how long you have been watching this forum but there is something you will learn quickly...

You can moan and groan about price of cheese etc (any food stuff can be substituted here), the quality of choice of foods, Moan about the weather, even speek a language that no one uses any more (not Latin) to the people you emigrated to get away from.
Before you criticise the quality and content, perhaps you might consider what your own contibution to this most valuable resource of British Expats has been? Conversation is generally a two way thing, if you sit there and wait for someone else to do your bidding and ask the questions that you want answered I guess you could be waiting for a very long time. How rude.
Old Mar 29th 2012, 9:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

But you can't talk about the J.O.B word or get any meaningful feed back on the state of the job market or any pointers towards who is recruiting.
The state of the job market is as munted as it is anywhere elses in the world, jobs are like hens teeth and most that have one will be hoping to hell that they manage to cling onto it for the next twelve months.

As to who is recruiting, you seem to imagine some central collective of information being kept from you. The main resource is Trademe and Seek but you'll know all of that already as you've been hanging around lurking for over a year.

Bearing in mind that something like 80% of businesses in NZ employ less than 10 people, I think it is you that misjudges how difficult it is to actually know who is recruiting. Its largely based on old relationships, mates recommendations and word of mouth. The likes of British Expats recently arrived would not be in the 'know' or be in the inner circle of trusted nudges and winks when jobs are coming up for grabs.

Basically if you want a job here that is not in high demand, you need to get up off your arris and come and knock on some doors and talk to people. One will not fall in your lap.
Old Mar 29th 2012, 10:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I have no idea about either journalism or qualifications involved, but wonder if you could look at some PR type work or big companies and government agencies all write 'newsletters' and internal publications and annual reports. I would have thought you could pick up a bit of freelancing and temporary roles if you approached some recruitment companies. I was thinking of the stuff our local council and hospitals puts out, always something in the mail, press releases and the like. You might appreciate we struggle to fill the news on a daily basis and the press do work very hard at making some news out of nothing.

See http://www.fairfaxmedia.co.nz/

If you look at the subscriptions page you'll see details of most local papers and magazines.

Last edited by Bo-Jangles; Mar 29th 2012 at 10:12 am.
Old Mar 29th 2012, 3:20 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Journalism and PR are both very competitive to get into in NZ. There aren't a lot of jobs and there are a lot of people who want to do it.

Unlike the UK, NZ is just a very small economy - you have to bear this in mind. I'm not saying don't try but I agree with the others the best way is to come and knock on doors. Just keep your expectations realistic. Would you be willing to work on a paper in a very small town? Also journalism isn't well paid in NZ - PR is better but again, it's competitive and a lot of 'who you know'. HTH.

Last edited by ExKiwilass; Mar 29th 2012 at 3:35 pm.
Old Mar 29th 2012, 8:24 pm
`

PS I have met a nice south African and his wife was quite pleasent as well.
OK. I give up . Where does the above come into it

I can't see the OP mentioning South Africa. Maybe the post was meant for somewhere else. Most odd.
Old Mar 30th 2012, 6:39 am

Catchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond repute

Hello

I've spent the past three-four years working as a journalist and spent a bit of money training too. I don't want to give up the career to spend 12 months doing seasonal work- not that there is anything wrong with that- i want to freelance, do shift work on a publication, cover maternity leavers etc. And if all goes well extend my visa to 23 months during which time i'll look for a longer term job and apply for the essential skills work visa when i have an offer. Is that a legitimate route?

Thanks so much in advance.
The NZQA will tell you if your degree is recognised, but you will have to get it verified anyway to support any skilled employment application.

You plan seems sound, getting the right job is the key.
Old Mar 30th 2012, 6:47 am

Catchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond repute

After all most of us need jobs to fund a life style what ever it is.
John, looking at your very brief posting history, are you wanting someone to give you a road map to getting a job, where to live, which visa to apply for etc....?

Plenty of answers here, but no magic ones.
Old Mar 30th 2012, 8:18 am
Forum Regular

sparkytoad has a reputation beyond reputesparkytoad has a reputation beyond reputesparkytoad has a reputation beyond reputesparkytoad has a reputation beyond reputesparkytoad has a reputation beyond reputesparkytoad has a reputation beyond reputesparkytoad has a reputation beyond reputesparkytoad has a reputation beyond reputesparkytoad has a reputation beyond reputesparkytoad has a reputation beyond reputesparkytoad has a reputation beyond repute

Hi John, fletchers construction seem to be doing ok. Have a look on their web site, you can e mail cv and enquiries to [email protected] site managers/supervisors project managers etc. Hope it helps.