British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   NZQA Full Assesment (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/nzqa-full-assesment-487348/)

zummerzet_lou Oct 15th 2007 8:15 am

NZQA Full Assesment

As some of you know, we got our ITA pack last week so it's full steam on stage 2!

As I claimed bonus points for my work experience, and we have no job offer we have to get a full assesment done on my degree/work experience.

I have a degree in electronics, (we did software for approx 1/4 of the syllabus if that), but I have 12 years software experience.

NZIS have said on the form it needs to say "majoring in computer science / Information Technology".

My question is, will NZQA only assess my degree, or do they take my work experience into account? My concern is that they will say "Major in electronics" and that will be £300 wasted ...

thanks everyone ...

Lou

zummerzet_lou Oct 15th 2007 2:18 pm

Re: NZQA Full Assesment

Originally Posted by zummerzet_lou (Post 5426090)
As some of you know, we got our ITA pack last week so it's full steam on stage 2!

As I claimed bonus points for my work experience, and we have no job offer we have to get a full assesment done on my degree/work experience.

I have a degree in electronics, (we did software for approx 1/4 of the syllabus if that), but I have 12 years software experience.

NZIS have said on the form it needs to say "majoring in computer science / Information Technology".

My question is, will NZQA only assess my degree, or do they take my work experience into account? My concern is that they will say "Major in electronics" and that will be £300 wasted ...

thanks everyone ...

Lou

No replies? I'll re-phrase it then ...

When NZQA do their assessment, does it take into account my work experience gained after qualification, or is it based solely on the content of my degree course?

KIRSTIE Oct 15th 2007 4:00 pm

hi lou

when paul sent his off it was for his work experience that they needed the references for etc, but they also needed the original certificates as havig the qualification goes towards your points
sorry not sure for IT though
hope someone replies to you from this field

with regards

kirstie

JaneAS Oct 15th 2007 4:45 pm

Hi zummerzet_lou (love the name BTW!)

I understand your concerns, I was recently in the same boat.

I had my quals assessed by NZQA, as I was hoping that my BSc (from the OU), along with 20 years of IT experience would come out at a Level 7. I have been advised by NZQA that a standard BSc does not equate to a Level 7 qualification - only if it is a BSc Hons. Is your an honours degree?

According to the framework for higher education qualifications in England, Wales, and Northern Ireland, all bachelors degrees without honours are classed as Intermediate level. All bachelors degrees with honours are classed one level higher, at Honours level.

Because mine was only classed as a level 6, I lost the right to claim any bonus points at all, and am now desperately seeking a job offer in order to stay in with a chance! The issue of whether or not it was a mainly IT degree never arose, so I'm sorry, but I can't advise on that.

Good luck, hope it works better for you,
Jane

happynz Oct 15th 2007 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by zummerzet_lou (Post 5427243)
No replies? I'll re-phrase it then ...

When NZQA do their assessment, does it take into account my work experience gained after qualification, or is it based solely on the content of my degree course?

Hi Lou,
Why not get a cheap phone card, ring them and ask directly?

By phone
+64 4 463 3000

...office is open from Monday to Friday, 8am to 5pm (NZDST).

simon-nall Oct 15th 2007 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by happynz (Post 5427758)
Hi Lou,
Why not get a cheap phone card, ring them and ask directly?

By phone
+64 4 463 3000

...office is open from Monday to Friday, 8am to 5pm (NZDST).

hi lou
i understand you can make phone call via msn the last i looked it was about 1.5pence a min. don't know how good it is i not tried it my self.

zummerzet_lou Oct 16th 2007 6:23 am

Thanks for all your replies ... after much research I think it i just the degree that is assessed, and the work experience is only used where the qualification is a vocational one.

This means I have lost our bonus points, and am now deperately on the hunt for a job offer in time to proceed with our ITA.

Will probably have to cancel our medicals for the 2nd time :-(

Lou

JaneAS Oct 16th 2007 10:30 am

Hi zummerzet_lou. When is your ITA due to be submitted?

My deadline was originally the 4th November, but I asked for a delay (to give me more time to find a job) and it has been put back to 4th January. It might be worth you asking....

Jane

zummerzet_lou Oct 16th 2007 12:22 pm

thanks for that ...

How soon did you ask for the delay? When you were nearing the deadline?

JaneAS Oct 16th 2007 4:33 pm

Hi. As soon as I received my NZQA assessment I contacted NZIS to ask them how I could proceed (I needed to have it assessed at Level 7, but it came back as Level 6). NZIS told me that unless I could boost my points with a job offer, we now only had 90 points, and not enough to continue!!!

I asked them 2 weeks ago, so that would be around 4 weeks before my ITA deadline.

Jane

zummerzet_lou Oct 17th 2007 10:36 am

hmmm .. if we lose these bonus points we are down to 125 so am hoping that NZIS will still process our application?

Trouble is, I shall be down £200 I think .. have been told to do the assessment in order for them to process it later, despite knowing what the outcome will be ....

what / whom did you use to courier your documents to NZQA?

ps. Only got our ITA on the 4th October, so have until Feb 4th to get it returned.

ta,

Lou

KIRSTIE Oct 17th 2007 11:39 am

hi lou

we sent our recorded post via the post office, it cost about £7.50 and was going to take about 3 days to get there.

with regards

kirstie

JaneAS Oct 17th 2007 12:39 pm

I used FedEx, as they have an office in my street at work, and I thought it was a little more reliable than the Royal Mail. It was more expensive though (around £50).

Jane