British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   NZQA & City & Guilds (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/nzqa-city-guilds-552405/)

Davvie Jul 31st 2008 3:12 pm

NZQA & City & Guilds

Hi,

After a few setbacks and changes in circumstances we are having to put our move to NZ back a bit (we was gong to go in October as Visitors and hopefully find a job and get a work permit etc.. while there). Hubby is now being made redundant so we have decided to wait until this happens, although we dont know when could be anytime up to 2011 which has put a few spanners into our plans (must not moan he's been their 17 years so we should get quite a good redundo package). As we now have some time we have decided to get his qualification assessed and hopefully go down the EOI SMC route.

He has a level 3 City & Guild in Engineering, which we know will need to be assessed - From what I have read on this forum level 3 C&G usually come out at an NZQA level 4 which is what we need.

However, when I asked for his syllabus from C&G, the actual syllabus they have provided us is for a part 2 qualification (this is equivalent to a level 2). When I talked to C&G about this (and trust me it has been a bit like pulling teeth) they have said that when he took the qualification in the mid 1990's all of their schemes were being redeveloped to match the requirements of the Level 3 NVQ standards and his part 2 qualification was used as underpinning knowledge towards this level 3 qualification.

This is a quote from an email that I received from City & Guilds "Candidates successfully completing assessments towards the part two Certificates may be able to apply these successes through a process of Accreditation of Prior Achievement, towards the achievement of a Level 3 NVQ," which appears to be what he has done.

Has anyone else been in this situation when getting their level 3 quali assessed??. I dont want NZQA to look at the syllabus and assess his qualification as a part 2/level 2 as it is not that - he has never received a part 2 certificate and it clearly says level 3. The annoying thing is that if his certificate actually said part 2 we would not need to get it assessed as it would have been automatically recognised on the NZIS policy for trade qualifications. But supposedly it is actually higher then a part 2 which is why he has got the level 3 (anyone confused yet I know I am).

We are sending it off anyway and will wait and see what it comes back as - the only good thing is that he is a compulsive hoarder so he actually has all of his training log books, result sheets, EnTra training sheets etc..so we are hoping that if we bombard NZQA with loads of training/apprenticeship evidence they will give us a better result

Thanks
Davvie

tristar_l1011 Aug 19th 2008 5:14 pm

Re: NZQA & City & Guilds

Hi.

Is the C&G in aircraft engineering? I am doing my EOI at the mo' and i have C&G part 3 which i got in 1999. It is on the list of recognised quals' but is not giving me 50 points, infact, it is giving me 5 points!!

I know this is not exactly helping with your question, but i have been in touch with NZ immigration asking about it and am waiting for a reply which i should get this week. I will let you know what they say.

Davvie Aug 20th 2008 7:34 pm

Re: NZQA & City & Guilds

Hi Tristar,

The city & guilds recognised qualifications are an absolute nightmare - basically if your qualification does not exactly match up word for word with what is on their list they will not recognise it, trust me I know this from bad experience, other half's Electrical engineering part 1 and part 2 C&G was in "Competences" (which according to the archive department at C&G was the name that they used for his course before "craft studies" and is exactly the same syllabus etc..) but because his certificate did not actually say craft studies NZIS London would not recognise his qualification. This is why we are now getting his higher qualification - his level 3 C&G in Electrical Engineering assessed by NZQA. It seems stupid that they automatically recognise (well supposedly) the part 1 & 2 qualifications but if you have actually gone further - onto the part3/level3 you have to pay to get it assessed.

I'm a bit surprised that you was only getting 5 points on you eoi for your part 3 - I thought that if you had a basic recognised qualification it was a minimum of 50 points??

Well good luck with your application - we are now waiting on NZQA before we can decide what to do next.

Davvie