Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ)
Reload this Page >

NZQA Assessment for Gas Engineer qualifications help

NZQA Assessment for Gas Engineer qualifications help

Old Apr 24th 2013, 2:40 pm
Just Joined

V_Lelia is an unknown quantity at this point
Default NZQA Assessment for Gas Engineer qualifications help

Hi
I’m a newbie to this site and I am in the process of trying to get my husband’s Gas Engineer qualifications assessed by NZQA.

Both myself and my husband have well over the 100 points requirement, so one of us just needs a job offer to hopefully be accepted under the Skilled Migrant Visa category. We are thinking, rightly or wrongly, that he would have more success getting a job quicker and so are plan is to have him as the lead applicant. I am a Marketing Manager, so 2 a penny!

He is Gas Safe registered (previously Corgi), ACS qualified with CCN 1; CEN 1; CKR 1; HTR 1; and CPA 1. He also has a City & Guilds Level 2 qualification in Domestic Natural Gas Instillation & Maintenance.

With regard to work experience he has 2 years’ experience as a trainee then a further 3 years after becoming fully qualified and Gas Safe registered.

Most of his experience is as a Service & Breakdown engineer rather than an installer, not sure if this makes a difference!?

What I want to know is what supporting information is he going to need for the NZQA assessment and also are his qualification/experience enough for him to gain a Gas Fitters licence in NZ?

I have also read about a Provisional Gas Fitters Licence, is this something he can get while still in the UK?

Also my sister lives in Auckland and we are planning on traveling out to New Zealand and staying with her while we look for work and then apply for a work visa while in the country.

Any help/advice much appreciated
Old Apr 29th 2013, 1:44 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NZQA Assessment for Gas Engineer qualifications help

Welcome
Have you searched for gas fitters on these forums? It is a subject that comes up every now and again.
I do not have a lot of knowledge on the subject unfortunately.

Have a look at this thread: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ght=gas+fitter

P
Old Apr 29th 2013, 9:33 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Hi there.
My husband is a plumber/gasfitter here in NZ. We emigrated getting on for 9 years ago now.

In brief & do come back to me with any questions at all.

1 - You need to obtain a FULL NZQA assessment. With this , you send in as much as you can to gain the best NZQA level possible.

2 - You send this assessment to the PGDB & they will decide if you are eligible to become NZ registered or not.

If he is eligible , he will be able to gain NZ registration once here and working in NZ.

3 - In order to be able to claim points for this trade under the SkilledMigrant Occupation, NZIS Immigration will want to see that he is eligible for NZ registration . So, when it comes to it , you provide the NZQA report AND a copy of the PGDB pre-assessment of his skill level.

To apply for a PGDB Limited Licence ( exemption under supervision) you need a job offer first as the employer or certifying tradesman needs to countersign the paperwork.

In times past I would have stated that to match the NZ level one would need C&G advanced. That's an NVQ3/C&G3 plus apprenticeship/training time. However, the PGDB have updated their database from what I can tell and now understand better the differing methods of other countries towards training their time served career tradesmen. In other word - I'm not sure these days.
I believe the NZ register level is pegged at 4.

Gasfitting is not in demand at present so an NZ employer will need to prove there is no NZ resident or citizen that could apply for or train for that work - unless the employer is NZIS accredited.

3 -
Old Apr 30th 2013, 9:17 am
Just Joined

V_Lelia is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the info x

BEVS, Do you know what he would have to do if he didn't get the required level to become NZ registered? Would he have to do more training out in New Zealand?