NZQA

Old Jul 1st 2007, 12:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of light
Default NZQA

Hi All,

My oh has City & Guilds in Carpentry and Joiner over 26 years ago,
he also has an indentured apprentice agreement.

Does he need to get his quals assessed by NZQA or are they ok as they are?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Karen

Last edited by Kags1694; Jul 1st 2007 at 12:15 pm.
Old Jul 1st 2007, 6:51 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice
Default Re: NZQA

Originally Posted by Kags1694
Hi All,

My oh has City & Guilds in Carpentry and Joiner over 26 years ago,
he also has an indentured apprentice agreement.

Does he need to get his quals assessed by NZQA or are they ok as they are?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Karen
Yes, I believe you'll have to get them assessed by NZQA.
Old Jul 6th 2007, 1:32 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Hi there.

I'm following the chippies trail at the moment coz of Red Monsk setback.

As a time-served carpenter you will not be required to have your qualifications assessed by NZQA.
However your C&G must meet the NZIS criteria.

Please page down and read

a quote from the above link:-

Trade Qualifications

The City and Guilds Part One and Part Two Certificates named below, together with evidence of a completed apprenticeship registered with a recognised industry body, are assessed as occupying Level 3 of the NZIS Register and will therefore qualify for 50 points.

Note: Visa and immigration officers must ensure that the Part Two Certificate is a full qualification (usually three components). Individual components of the Part Two qualification may be separately certificated. Most full Part Two certificates require completion of three components.

Other Trade qualifications NOT listed below require assessment by the NZQA.

* Aeronautical Engineering Craft Studies
* Agricultural Mechanics
* Bakery
* Brickwork
* Carpentry and Joinery
* Cooking for the Catering Industry
* Electronics Servicing
* Electrical Installation Work
* Engineering Craft Studies
* Fabrication and Welding Engineering Craft Studies
* Furniture Craft Studies
If they do not, then you should apply for an NZQA assessment and put in as much as you can to gain an NZQA level 4 which is their level which is equal to l to an NZ National Certificate.

I'll go back and amend my last post to both you and RedMonsk. I thought you had already been assessed at level 4.
Old Jul 6th 2007, 12:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by BEVS here
Hi there.

I'm following the chippies trail at the moment coz of Red Monsk setback.

As a time-served carpenter you will not be required to have your qualifications assessed by NZQA.
However your C&G must meet the NZIS criteria.

Please page down and read

a quote from the above link:-

If they do not, then you should apply for an NZQA assessment and put in as much as you can to gain an NZQA level 4 which is their level which is equal to l to an NZ National Certificate.

I'll go back and amend my last post to both you and RedMonsk. I thought you had already been assessed at level 4.
Hi Bev,

Thanks for replying to my message.

I checked with my oh, when he did his C&G over 26 years ago,
There was only 1 certificate for C&G Carpentry/Joiners and then advanced.

His has his C&G which I thick has four parts (passed with Distinctions)
And a I think a three year apprenticeship certificate.

We are totally confused about reports about parts 1 &2.

Regards
Karen
Old Jul 7th 2007, 1:22 am
`

not surprised you're confused. Too much use of the word parts.

City and Guilds came in two parts.

The first part was the three year apprenticeship with a craft certificate

The second part was a continuation of the apprenticeship for another year with the advanced certificate at the end of it.

So first is the craft certificate
and the second one is the advanced certificate.

The two craft C&G certificates were broken down into components - also called parts.

The 2nd certificate which was the advanced certificate had three components - parts. sometimes seperate certificates were issued for each of the three components.
Old Jul 7th 2007, 10:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BEVS here
not surprised you're confused. Too much use of the word parts.

City and Guilds came in two parts.

The first part was the three year apprenticeship with a craft certificate

The second part was a continuation of the apprenticeship for another year with the advanced certificate at the end of it.

So first is the craft certificate
and the second one is the advanced certificate.

The two craft C&G certificates were broken down into components - also called parts.

The 2nd certificate which was the advanced certificate had three components - parts. sometimes seperate certificates were issued for each of the three components.
Hi Bev,

Just dug out oh certificate

City & Guilds

It says

This certificate

Carpentry and Joinery (Third) year

Name

Was successful in the following components

Craft theory associated subjects and industrial studies Distinction
Practical Course Work Distinction
Practical Test Distinction
General and Communication Studies Distinction

Separate certificate is for his completed apprentice ship

Do you think that this means we are going to get knocked back

Regards
Kags
Old Jul 9th 2007, 11:20 pm
`

I don't know. If you read the NZIS manual with this about what is an NZIS Level 3 it says this

Trade Qualifications

The City and Guilds Part One and Part Two Certificates named below, together with evidence of a completed apprenticeship registered with a recognised industry body, are assessed as occupying Level 3 of the NZIS Register and will therefore qualify for 50 points.

Note: Visa and immigration officers must ensure that the Part Two Certificate is a full qualification (usually three components). Individual components of the Part Two qualification may be separately certificated. Most full Part Two certificates require completion of three components.
However, Red Monsk was given the 50 points for a basic trade qual which was assessed by NZQA as a level 3, yet we know they have only the first certificate of C&G which is part one and does not have C&G 2 which is the advanced.

What Redmonsk was knocked back for was bonus points for an absolute shortage skill.... I think anyway.

Mind you, Redmonsk skill is as a cabinet maker and yours is a chippy.

Fingers crossed for a NZQA PAR level 3 Kags.