NZIS 'skill definition' terminology

Old Apr 16th 2008, 7:13 pm
Just Joined

teamlemon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default NZIS 'skill definition' terminology

Hi all

Partner is a Plumber.

I am thinking of going through the immigration process myself, not using an agent due to £3000 fees, however, just been to newlifenewzealand seminar, not bad overall but now am wondering about the immigration dept!

They said that if immigration didn't think that the wording from the employer was essentially a skill, then they would just reject it.

Also said that employers don't know how to correctly word the job offer to immigration. If this is the case can anyone advise what the employer should be stating, for us to tell the employer, so that the application is not rejected?

Would be grateful for any advice on immigration preferred terminology!
Thankyou
Old Apr 16th 2008, 7:34 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice
Default Re: NZIS 'skill definition' terminology

They said that if immigration didn't think that the wording from the employer was essentially a skill, then they would just reject it.

Also said that employers don't know how to correctly word the job offer to immigration.
Those agents are shameless [email protected] I smell a rat soliciting for your 3000. They are trying to lead you to believe that without their 'magic' you won't be able to successfully get residence. Listen, tell 'em to get stuffed.

Here's what needs to be done -- In order to apply for a visa to work in New Zealand, you will need a valid offer of employment from a New Zealand employer. The offer must be in writing and contain the following information:

* name, address and telephone number of the employer

* name and address of the person to whom the job is offered

* a full job description stating:
- job title or designation
- the type of work, duties and responsibilites of the job
- any qualifications or training experience required
- the duration of the job
- the salary or remuneration
- how long the job offer is open

Applicants must produce evidence that they are suitably qualified by training and experience to do the job they have been offered, and that they can meet any New Zealand certification or registration requirements if these are required to carry out the job in New Zealand.
Old Apr 17th 2008, 1:57 am
BE Site Lead & Admin

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute

Cor ! What a load of old codswallop.

All you need from an NZ employer who wishes to offer you a job is a letter or a contract of employment giving job description stating that it is a full time permanent position, the rate of pay and the terms and conditions.

As your husband is a plumber, he will need to get a preliminary assessment from the plumbing board of new zealand . I can help with that. My husband is a plumber also. We have been in NZ for nearly three years now.

Plumbers are on the long term shortages list. He is wanted in NZ provided he is a fully qualified plumber.

Have you done the NZIS points indicator yet?
Old Apr 17th 2008, 8:25 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BEVS here View Post
Cor ! What a load of old codswallop.

All you need from an NZ employer who wishes to offer you a job is a letter or a contract of employment giving job description stating that it is a full time permanent position, the rate of pay and the terms and conditions.

As your husband is a plumber, he will need to get a preliminary assessment from the plumbing board of new zealand . I can help with that. My husband is a plumber also. We have been in NZ for nearly three years now.

Plumbers are on the long term shortages list. He is wanted in NZ provided he is a fully qualified plumber.

Have you done the NZIS points indicator yet?
Hi
Thanks for your comments guys, appreciate it. I did kind of get the feeling they were trying to promote their business. Yes, done points indicator, and with a job offer it is about 200, without job offer it is 135. Trying to research on emigrating as much as poss, a bit hard with a 2 yr old boy wanting all my attention thou'. The only thing concerning us would be getting the job! I know we would have to go to NZ to attend interviews, are there any particular areas were we would stand the best chance of getting that all important job, or where plumbers are most needed? Does fully qualified mean C&G level 3, or do you think level 2 would be sufficient?
Thanks, Amanda
Old Apr 17th 2008, 11:00 pm
BE Site Lead & Admin

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute

Your husband will have no problem getting a job anywhere in New Zealand.
There is a huge shortage here for all types of plumbing work.

When it comes to UK qualifications the NVQ3 and C&G3 is a fully certified plumber. In my husbands day it was C&G advanced. The New Zealand Immigration Service and the New Zealand Plumbing Board will be looking for the same level in order to award points for the trade skill.

Plumbing and gasfitting is one of those trades that require NZ registration. Registration happens through the PGDB . It is 4 days of practical assessments plus an exam done at the PGDB headquarters in Wellington. Cost $3500. Once you are here and working in the trade, you will be able to take the registration exams but that is for the future. Back to the here and now.

The First Step.
Your husband will need to have his UK qualifications assessed by the PGDB. Please read the guide and download the form HERE FROM THE PGDB website. Also please do browse the site & previous exam papers for some insight.

The New Zealand Immigration Service will want to see that the PGDB assessment states your husbands UK plumbing qualifications are enough to allow him to be eligible to take the PGDB registration.

What you want from the PGDB is a letter stating he is eligible to sit NZ registration exams. The standard for that seems to be set at around an NVQ3 or a C&G3. Anything less , and the suggestion would be that the skill standard is not there and that the UK plumber would have to undergo further training once here. To that end, if your husband has NVQ2 or has not the final part of C&G , I would strongly suggest he gains them there in the UK. However, there is nothing to stop you from sending off for a PGDB assessment and see what you get back. Assessment cost =$400 I think.

If your husband is a fully UK certified plumber and you have 135 points, then send off for the PGDB assessment to make sure of your points and then put in an EOI without a job offer.

When accepting a job here in NZ please be aware that the Nz employers are canny. They will always offer you a few dollars less, rather than a few dollars more. You will have to barter to get a better rate and do not accept the first rate you are offered. They still pay tool money here. It is tax free so try to get that. On arrival your husband will not have NZ registration , so he will be working under a PGDB limited licence. To work in NZ all plumbers, gasfitters and drainlayers must hold a licence. Your husbands would be the limited one until he passed his registration exams and assessments.
Old Apr 18th 2008, 9:08 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BEVS here View Post
Your husband will have no problem getting a job anywhere in New Zealand.
There is a huge shortage here for all types of plumbing work.

When it comes to UK qualifications the NVQ3 and C&G3 is a fully certified plumber. In my husbands day it was C&G advanced. The New Zealand Immigration Service and the New Zealand Plumbing Board will be looking for the same level in order to award points for the trade skill.

Plumbing and gasfitting is one of those trades that require NZ registration. Registration happens through the PGDB . It is 4 days of practical assessments plus an exam done at the PGDB headquarters in Wellington. Cost $3500. Once you are here and working in the trade, you will be able to take the registration exams but that is for the future. Back to the here and now.

The First Step.
Your husband will need to have his UK qualifications assessed by the PGDB. Please read the guide and download the form HERE FROM THE PGDB website. Also please do browse the site & previous exam papers for some insight.

The New Zealand Immigration Service will want to see that the PGDB assessment states your husbands UK plumbing qualifications are enough to allow him to be eligible to take the PGDB registration.

What you want from the PGDB is a letter stating he is eligible to sit NZ registration exams. The standard for that seems to be set at around an NVQ3 or a C&G3. Anything less , and the suggestion would be that the skill standard is not there and that the UK plumber would have to undergo further training once here. To that end, if your husband has NVQ2 or has not the final part of C&G , I would strongly suggest he gains them there in the UK. However, there is nothing to stop you from sending off for a PGDB assessment and see what you get back. Assessment cost =$400 I think.

If your husband is a fully UK certified plumber and you have 135 points, then send off for the PGDB assessment to make sure of your points and then put in an EOI without a job offer.

When accepting a job here in NZ please be aware that the Nz employers are canny. They will always offer you a few dollars less, rather than a few dollars more. You will have to barter to get a better rate and do not accept the first rate you are offered. They still pay tool money here. It is tax free so try to get that. On arrival your husband will not have NZ registration , so he will be working under a PGDB limited licence. To work in NZ all plumbers, gasfitters and drainlayers must hold a licence. Your husbands would be the limited one until he passed his registration exams and assessments.
Hi Bev
Thanks for your reply.
Does the general plumbing in NZ differ much to UK, and if so in what way?