British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   NZIS, how do they decide... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/nzis-how-do-they-decide-515337/)

Persephone Feb 18th 2008 7:38 pm

NZIS, how do they decide...

Following on from another question that was asked recently:
If applying as skilled migrant you can be granted PR or a WTR visa.

Does anyone know what criteria are used to decide which one you are given? NZIS says something about ability to settle in NZ which isn't very specific.
If you haven't got a job offer does this mean you will always be granted WTR rather than PR or has anyone been granted PR without a job?
If so, what do you think was the reason for this or do they tell you the reasons behind their decision?

Or is the whole system absolutely unfathomable...? :rofl:

Sue :D

PHONEJUNKY Feb 19th 2008 8:32 am

Re: NZIS, how do they decide...

Hi Sue,

My family and I were granted PR in September 2007, without any job/job offer. I applied though the skilled migrant category and had to be interviewed over the telephone which took about an hour about our (ability to settle in NZ as it is called). Basically i was asked a lot of question (but you are not told in advance what you are going to be asked) but most of them was about how my family and i would settle in NZ.

Hope this helps
Mandy

Persephone Feb 19th 2008 8:48 pm

Thanks Mandy,

Good to know you can get PR without a job offer, just wasn't sure whether it was possible or not. WTR wouldn't be too bad either-whatever happens I'll need to find a job, unless I win a few million on the lottery of course:D

Mr Sue lives there now so settling in should be easier for me [:blink:]. Unfortunately we can't apply under partnership so I'm having to go down the SMC route, it's a long story! :wub:

Maz Feb 19th 2008 11:10 pm

Originally Posted by Sue R (Post 5956043)
Mr Sue lives there now so settling in should be easier for me [:blink:]. Unfortunately we can't apply under partnership so I'm having to go down the SMC route, it's a long story! :wub:

What type of visa/permit does he have? You can get yours on the back of his through the partnership category. Just have to prove you've been in a viable and lasting relationship for 12 months.

Persephone Feb 20th 2008 7:24 pm

Hi Maz,

It's a bit of an odd situation. He is a born and bred Kiwi, we've been together one and a half years. We met on holiday, I went over there, he was sent to work over here, went back to NZ and then came over here on a very long holiday. And this is very much the abridged version :rofl:

As a result we've not managed the 12 months living together that we'd need. Lucky my job's on the LTSSL :D Thinking of packing in the job and going over there soon to see him and look for jobs