British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   NZ Work to Residency (and then applying for Skilled Migrant) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/nz-work-residency-then-applying-skilled-migrant-311885/)

NZ_BOUND Jul 3rd 2005 6:58 pm

NZ Work to Residency (and then applying for Skilled Migrant)

Does anyone know or have experience of the following scenerio?

If I came over to NZ via a work to resident route with an employer then I understand that I would have to wait for 2 years before applying for residency.

The work to residency route would offer a fast tracked way of coming over to NZ, but after checking my points I have found that I qualify for the Skilled Migrant route.

So my query is can I still apply for the Skilled Migrant residency whilst I'm under the work to residency route? Hence if I was already over in NZ and my residency was granted via the Skilled Migrant route after one year then I would have my residency one year earlier.

Hope that makes sense!!!

newkiwi Jul 3rd 2005 9:03 pm

Re: NZ Work to Residency (and then applying for Skilled Migrant)

Originally Posted by NZ_BOUND

If I came over to NZ via a work to resident route with an employer then I understand that I would have to wait for 2 years before applying for residency.

The work to residency route would offer a fast tracked way of coming over to NZ, but after checking my points I have found that I qualify for the Skilled Migrant route.

So my query is can I still apply for the Skilled Migrant residency whilst I'm under the work to residency route? Hence if I was already over in NZ and my residency was granted via the Skilled Migrant route after one year then I would have my residency one year earlier.

Hope that makes sense!!!

That is exactly what I did...came to NZ undr a Owrk to Residence visa in Feb, applied for PR in March (whilst in NZ and working under the Work to Res Scheme), waited for the wheels to turn and finally got my PR in December. Would mean you having to re-do medicals and perhaps police clearances, but that is a small cost and inconvinience compared to the much quicker way to get into NZ.

My Work to Residence visa took two weeks to obtain.

However, be aware that as a non-resident in NZ (initially), it may be more difficult to get credit, or a mortgage.

Hope this helps

JAJ Jul 3rd 2005 11:25 pm

Originally Posted by newkiwi
My Work to Residence visa took two weeks to obtain.

However, be aware that as a non-resident in NZ (initially), it may be more difficult to get credit, or a mortgage.

Hope this helps

Another snag that's going to give people a nasty surprise is that from 1 January 2006, children born to temporary residents in NZ will *not* be New Zealand citizens by birth.

From that date, at least one parent will need to be a NZ citizen or permanent resident for the child to be a Kiwi.

There will be an exception for children who are stateless (ie don't acquire the parents citizenship) but this will be unusual.

Those children who are not New Zealanders by birth will need to wait until their parents naturalise before they can become Kiwis - which may be many years ahead, or never. If they are still in NZ and permanent residents at age 16, they will be able to pursue NZ citizenship independently of the parents.

Jeremy

pompeymike Jul 4th 2005 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by NZ_BOUND

Hope that makes sense!!!

Here's another scenario (that we did). Come over to NZ on a 6 month visitors permit (automatic on arrival as a UK citizen), get your job offer and go to the nearest NZIS office to obtain your work permit which will normally be issued on the same day. Once you've started work put in you EOI and believe me if you're living over here it'll go straight through. It took us 3 months from start to finish to obtain residency and we've got very average jobs.

Mike

bookemjano Jul 4th 2005 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by pompeymike
Here's another scenario (that we did). Come over to NZ on a 6 month visitors permit (automatic on arrival as a UK citizen), get your job offer and go to the nearest NZIS office to obtain your work permit which will normally be issued on the same day. Once you've started work put in you EOI and believe me if you're living over here it'll go straight through. It took us 3 months from start to finish to obtain residency and we've got very average jobs.

Mike

I understand that you can extend this six month stay to nine months if necessary? Is this true?

pompeymike Jul 4th 2005 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by bookemjano
I understand that you can extend this six month stay to nine months if necessary? Is this true?

Yep, you can extend it to 9 months and if you've got a substantive visa application pending i.e. a work permit or PR they'll extend it to 12 months

Mike

bookemjano Jul 4th 2005 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by pompeymike
Yep, you can extend it to 9 months and if you've got a substantive visa application pending i.e. a work permit or PR they'll extend it to 12 months

Mike

I assume you have to go in with so much money to support yourself whilst you find a job - any idea how much?

Joshlin Jul 4th 2005 8:05 pm

I assume you have to go in with so much money to support yourself whilst you find a job - any idea how much?

I'm not sure that they specify an amount - others will correct me if I'm wrong, but I know that on all our paperwork (albeit for PR) the question simply asked if we would have assets and in what form (income / cash / independent means) no stipulation of an amount.

as we didn't have a job offer when our PR application was being processed we were told that one outcome could be work to residency visas - the advice we had then was that as soon as we had jobs we could then apply for PR, ie no timescale as long as it happened within the 2 yr lifespan of the WTR visa.

Hope that makes sense - had a hard day at a theme park - too many adrenalin rushes. :scared:

bookemjano Jul 5th 2005 5:56 am

Originally Posted by Joshlin
I'm not sure that they specify an amount - others will correct me if I'm wrong, but I know that on all our paperwork (albeit for PR) the question simply asked if we would have assets and in what form (income / cash / independent means) no stipulation of an amount.

as we didn't have a job offer when our PR application was being processed we were told that one outcome could be work to residency visas - the advice we had then was that as soon as we had jobs we could then apply for PR, ie no timescale as long as it happened within the 2 yr lifespan of the WTR visa.

Hope that makes sense - had a hard day at a theme park - too many adrenalin rushes. :scared:

Thanks Joshlin, that does help. Were you on the skilled shortages list when you applied without a job offer? We're not, so we're expecting to be refused so are preparing ourselves for doing it other ways.

Joshlin Jul 5th 2005 12:09 pm

Thanks Joshlin, that does help. Were you on the skilled shortages list when you applied without a job offer? We're not, so we're expecting to be refused so are preparing ourselves for doing it other ways.

we were lucky - hubby and I are both on the skills shortages, well not us - our professions! so I'm sure that did make a difference.

bookemjano Jul 5th 2005 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by Joshlin
we were lucky - hubby and I are both on the skills shortages, well not us - our professions! so I'm sure that did make a difference.

You lucky things, it should move quite quickly for you then. We're really expecting to be turned down as we're not on the shortages list and we will have trouble proving one of the work experiences my husband did as the employer left the country owing loads of money and is hiding out in Greece somewhere, but no-one knows where. We'll see anyway, we may to consider the six month option if they turn us down. We're determined to get there one way or another!