NZ Work Permit/Residency query

Old Apr 15th 2008, 10:36 am
Forum Regular

dhruv9 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default NZ Work Permit/Residency query

Hi there,
My brother in law has been offered work to work as Diesel Mechanic. So that's in process. I am also thinking to go with him with my wife. In my case I wanted to pursue Automotive Training(course of 1year) and then as per law would go for 1year work permit.

Now after that 1year work permit if my employer wants me to hire for more then would I be going as General Skilled Migration or Work Sponsorship? Because I want to do Certificate 4 or National Certificate 3 in Automotive. But as per Long term shortage list one should have National Certificate 4 to apply for GSM.

So, if employer would sponsor me then I won't be doing these point things, EOI, Qualification (National Certificate 4)?

So, I just want to know am I thinking right or wrong?

Thanks
Old Apr 15th 2008, 7:10 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice
Default Re: NZ Work Permit/Residency query

Originally Posted by dhruv9
Hi there,
My brother in law has been offered work to work as Diesel Mechanic. So that's in process. I am also thinking to go with him with my wife. In my case I wanted to pursue Automotive Training(course of 1year) and then as per law would go for 1 year work permit.
OK

Now after that 1 year work permit if my employer wants me to hire for more then would I be going as General Skilled Migration or Work Sponsorship?
You could extend your work permit for a further one to three years. Regardless, you would need medicals and police clearances.
Because I want to do Certificate 4 or National Certificate 3 in Automotive. But as per Long term shortage list one should have National Certificate 4 to apply for GSM.
Keep plugging away and soon as you are eligible bung that EOI in and get yourself permanent residence.

So, if employer would sponsor me then I won't be doing these point things, EOI, Qualification (National Certificate 4)?
That would be nice, but you still have to go through the immigration process starting with the EOI.

So, I just want to know am I thinking right or wrong?

Thanks
You're getting a good start on things, but be sure of the steps. I think it's great that you are asking these questions here.
Old Apr 15th 2008, 7:16 pm
Forum Regular

Well analyzed answers in accordance of questions, thnks for that!

Only one question now that when they ask for qualifications to get through like; Automotive(national certificate 4). If I finish with National Certificate 3 after one year study in NZ and then an employer sponsors me for 2/3years work permit, would I get through (not considiring NZ Govt. Long term shortage list required qualification - NC 4)?

Thanks again.
Old Apr 15th 2008, 11:20 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Only one question now that when they ask for qualifications to get through like; Automotive(national certificate 4). If I finish with National Certificate 3 after one year study in NZ and then an employer sponsors me for 2/3years work permit, would I get through (not considiring NZ Govt. Long term shortage list required qualification - NC 4)?

Thanks again.

If you are here to study as an international student, then you may only work part-time. You will have to apply to re-new the student visa for each year of your study. You will be liable for international student fees .

If you can find part-time work in the trade you are studying , then all to the good .

Once you have an NZ National Certificate as a mechanic, then you could look to apply for a full time job in that trade. You would then apply for a temporary work permit.

With the National Certificate and an NZ job offer , you should go on to apply for Permanent Residency in your own right.

You cannot apply for a temporary work permit whilst on a student visa. An NZ employer may offer you part time work but would not sponsor you like an apprentice simply because of the massive fees involved.

From NZIS
You can work part time while studying full time, under certain circumstances:

* to meet course requirements for practical work experience, or
* during the Christmas and New Year holiday period if you are in a full-time course of study lasting 12 months or longer, and/or
* for up to 20 hours in any given week during the academic year if you are in full-time study:
o at a private training establishment or tertiary institution and taking at least two academic years to complete, or
o culminating in a New Zealand qualification that would qualify for points under the Skilled Migrant Category, or
o at a secondary school full year course of study in years 12 or 13, provided you have written permission from your school and written consent from your parent, or
o in a full-time study course lasting at least six months, at a private training establishment or tertiary institution. Your visa or immigration officer has to be satisfied that the main purpose of your course of study is to develop English language skills, and, you have an International English Language Testing System (IELTS) overall band score of 5.0 or above (General or Academic Module), or
o at a tertiary level of at least one academic year duration as part of an approved tertiary student exchange scheme.
Old Apr 16th 2008, 10:40 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BEVS here
Once you have an NZ National Certificate as a mechanic, then you could look to apply for a full time job in that trade. You would then apply for a temporary work permit.

With the National Certificate and an NZ job offer , you should go on to apply for Permanent Residency in your own right.
Thanks for the reply BEVs.

As you said above first that Once I have NZ National Certificate as a mechanic (will certificate 3 do instead of Level 4?) I can go for temporary work permit. So won't I need work offer this time?

So do you mean that without work offer I can go for temporary work in qualification related area and with work offer I can go for permanent residency?

I am sticking to National Certificate 4 because in Short & Long term shortage list they say NC-4 is must. So, overseas students who study there Level 2/3 can't get work even after they are getting work offer?

I hope you get what I said. I just want to clarify these things here and then will decide to go on right path with all your good people's support.