British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   NZ-Wanna be - EOI Recommendations (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/nz-wanna-eoi-recommendations-866261/)

GeordieDan86 Oct 6th 2015 6:39 pm

NZ-Wanna be - EOI Recommendations

Hi everyone,

I'm Daniel, software engineer, 29 and looking to move from Newcastle upon Tyne, UK to New Zealand! I'm a new user to the site so seeing as I needed a little help regarding EOI, the process and decision making, I decided not to post in the new user section (although I couldn't find it on the mobile site!).

I've come here, obviously, to get vital information and advice for helping me move across to New Zealand but also meeting new people wouldn't be a bad thing either :).

Why do I want to move? I had the opportunity to move as a student just for a gap year when I was 22 (and also Canada) and I didn't take either, the more I thought about it the more I regretted it (NZ in particular). That being said, I've realized it's best to do it now rather than later and after researching the culture and lifestyle I know it's what I want. However, after decided, submitting and paying for the EOI, I thought I may have jumped in too quickly as I may I missed a couple of tricks to help my application.

The 'vital' information was regarding the EOI, as I submitted mine on 16/09/15 so I'll just dive right in:

- After reading the thread on the points system on this site, I'm aware my points are quite low in relation to the 140+/priority (115). So would it be better to retract my EOI and look for a job first before putting in my EOI?

- If so, do I get charged again for editing/resubmitting it? If I don't (get charged again), I was thinking it was best to start applying for jobs and trying to get one nailed down before resubmitting as this will put my points around 165.

- There was no indication of how fast the process can go with or without a job offer on the NZ Immigration site; just that if you disn't have a job it would be slower. I know it depends on a number of variables (e.g. area of skilled sector) but what were the timescales people on here had experienced (I had 6 months as a rough figure in my head with a job?)?

- Whàt are people's experiences with Auckland and elsewhere in NZ such as the day-to-day life? I'm aware that more points are awarded to outside Auckland so was open to anywhere to be honest.

Thank you for any help regarding my post and look forward to speaking to you all!

Daniel

MrsFychan Oct 6th 2015 7:11 pm

Re: NZ-Wanna be - EOI Recommendations

Hi and Welcome to BE and our little bit of it.
Firstly I am not sure you can retract the EOI and get money back but I am aware that it can sit in the pool for 6mths before it is dropped and you would have to reapply and pay again. You can update an application so if you get a job offer you can add that and increase your points. It is very very unlikely you will get selected without a job offer unless you can some how increase your points to over the magic 140.

As you are 29 you do have the option of applying for a working holiday visa that would allow you to come over and get a job and that would match the criteria to uplift a more permanent visa with the benefit of already having done some of the admin to get the visa, unfortunately there is no guarantee that you would gain one but having boots on the ground would give you a better chance as a lot of IT jobs are more about personalty and fitting in with the team and you would be available for the "coffee met" which is big thing over here.
The other option is to come over on a visitors visa but you do need to be aware that that is sometimes frowned upon so you would have to be aware not to mention it when coming through customs as you may just find yourself on the next flight out.

Time is already ticking for you as you have already submitted your EOI, I see you mention Auckland in your post, are you aware that you get some points by not going to Auckland so a job offer anywhere else would give you points for the job offer and points for not being in Auckland, also Auckland is extremely expensive. May I ask why you are looking at Auckland?

Use sites like Seek and Trademe for jobs but also make sure your Linkedin profile is up to date and link to people/companies here, but also google for IT agencies - not something that helped my OH but you may be lucky. Don't restrict you area of living the main thing is to get a job, get here and go from there.

GeordieDan86 Oct 6th 2015 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by MrsFychan (Post 11766277)
Hi and Welcome to BE and our little bit of it.
Firstly I am not sure you can retract the EOI and get money back but I am aware that it can sit in the pool for 6mths before it is dropped and you would have to reapply and pay again. You can update an application so if you get a job offer you can add that and increase your points. It is very very unlikely you will get selected without a job offer unless you can some how increase your points to over the magic 140.

As you are 29 you do have the option of applying for a working holiday visa that would allow you to come over and get a job and that would match the criteria to uplift a more permanent visa with the benefit of already having done some of the admin to get the visa, unfortunately there is no guarantee that you would gain one but having boots on the ground would give you a better chance as a lot of IT jobs are more about personalty and fitting in with the team and you would be available for the "coffee met" which is big thing over here.
The other option is to come over on a visitors visa but you do need to be aware that that is sometimes frowned upon so you would have to be aware not to mention it when coming through customs as you may just find yourself on the next flight out.

Time is already ticking for you as you have already submitted your EOI, I see you mention Auckland in your post, are you aware that you get some points by not going to Auckland so a job offer anywhere else would give you points for the job offer and points for not being in Auckland, also Auckland is extremely expensive. May I ask why you are looking at Auckland?

Use sites like Seek and Trademe for jobs but also make sure your Linkedin profile is up to date and link to people/companies here, but also google for IT agencies - not something that helped my OH but you may be lucky. Don't restrict you area of living the main thing is to get a job, get here and go from there.

Hi, thanks for the reply and advice. So, it seems my best option is to just job hunt now (thanks for all the tips!) and update the EOI asap to see if I already can improve points. If I'm lucky enough to get a job offer that would obviously increase it too and tske priority in the pool - Do you know roughly how long a working VISA can take to process with a job? I'll look into working holiday visa too. I mentioned Auckland as everyone seems to go there, from what I read, and wondered why? I'm very much open to anywhere really, it wasn't just Auckland, maybe I phrased it wrong.

Thanks for the help!

Daniel

MrsFychan Oct 6th 2015 8:18 pm

even with a job offer and my OH already working - he obtained a temp work visa to allow him to work - the ITA still took over 3mths to process, he had to get the company he was working for submit the job offer 3 times as Immigration was not happy with it and my medical was referred which took a week to come back ok. We submitted the EOI whilst in the UK, OH came over as he was not getting anywhere with the agencies in the UK and he uplifted a job in two days, he is not a software engineer but Management and just got lucky at a seminar, so not sure if you would be so lucky.

BEVS Oct 7th 2015 12:11 am

Hi and welcome to the BE NZ forum

Originally Posted by GeordieDan86 (Post 11766262)

- After reading the thread on the points system on this site, I'm aware my points are quite low in relation to the 140+/priority (115). So would it be better to retract my EOI and look for a job first before putting in my EOI?

If you have submitted the EOI and paid for that, then it stays in the pool . No retraction as far as I am aware.

If you have merely completed an on line EOI and have not yet submitted and paid for it, then you are free to edit , delete or leave in limbo.

Correct. 115 and no job is far too low

Correct again. You need a job offer for a quality application.

Time lines are variable and it is on a case by case basis.

If you gain a job offer then you can uplift a temp work visa to get you here and started.

If you are under 30, you could consider a working holiday visa to test the waters.

GeordieDan86 Oct 7th 2015 7:23 am

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 11766490)
Hi and welcome to the BE NZ forum

If you have submitted the EOI and paid for that, then it stays in the pool . No retraction as far as I am aware.

If you have merely completed an on line EOI and have not yet submitted and paid for it, then you are free to edit , delete or leave in limbo.

Correct. 115 and no job is far too low

Correct again. You need a job offer for a quality application.

Time lines are variable and it is on a case by case basis.

If you gain a job offer then you can uplift a temp work visa to get you here and started.

If you are under 30, you could consider a working holiday visa to test the waters.

Hi BEVS, thanks for your reply, I don't make things easy for myself! :)

I'll double check with the London office today to see if I can still edit it (because the option is there, it's just what that means by editing it (e.g. paying again)).

Sounds like work holiday VISA is an alternative route to take (uplifting, like you say if I have a job offer) and potentially cut my losses with the rushed work and live visa if nothing can come of it.

Thanks for all the replies, it's greatly appreciated.